A new game every weekend!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by BrokenKings, Jan 4, 2011.

1. BrokenKings

BrokenKings Well-Known Member

May 13, 2009
    #1 BrokenKings, Jan 4, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    EDIT: I will now post trailers and links for games we've completed here :)

Dirt:

If you remember our attempt at Magnet Dirigible, you might be thinking, "Wait, you didn't finish your 24 hour game, why should you be able to make games in a weekend?" Well, we're defining weekend as Fri-Sun, which is 3 times as much time as Magnet Dirigible had. And, Magnet Dirigible was over half done :D

Stay tuned this Friday, when the first game will start production. We will be posting lots of videos to youtube, screenshots and photos to our facebook page, so please, watch these spaces to watch our progress!

As well, we happily welcome any ideas you guys have for short games you think would be fun. :D

2. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    #2 BrokenKings, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
    Week #1 game has been designed! In this game, you play as a squirrel, climbing a tree and avoiding the dangers therein. Gameplay will be quick and frantic, for you are being chased by spiders! Art will be generally whimsical and irreverent.

Expect screenshots and status updates from now until Sunday night! :cool:

I am Stephen, and I will be working on programming this game for the next few days. The rest of the team should be here to introduce themselves in the next little while :)

Oh, one last detail, here is our kickoff meeting that we had yesterday, for those of you curious what kind of people and circumstances it takes to make a game every weekend.

3. dettiekinz

dettiekinz Well-Known Member

Checking-in! I'm Bernadette, essentially the social media person, and team assistant.

On twitter; dettiekinz
    Email: Bernadette-@-brokenkings-dot-com

:D

4. Lopiken

Lopiken Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Lopintroduction

My name is Lopi. I will be programming. If you see something that is in the game, I either programmed it or did not. I am also a designer, so when it comes to games that require more design than the initial design, that will be what I will be doing. I also emit an aura of awesomeness, boosting the other members' awesome meters by 12%. I think that's the most important role I play on this team. My name is Lopi.

5. dettiekinz

I contest the fifth and sixth sentences of this post.

6. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    I'd like to contest the first and last sentence. :p

Anyways, hopefully it won't be just us talking to ourselves for much longer. WE have some real stuff happening already :) The artists, Jenna and Josiah, have backgrounds and a tree in progress. Lopi and I have some awesome placeholder art in, and so already have started constructing the tree with code, as well as have the squirrel (sort of) hopping from place to place.

Feast your eyes on this programmer-art laden beauty!

[​IMG]

Don't worry - it's going to look more like this concept before we're done:

[​IMG]

(The yes and nos represent where the squirrel will be able to jump :D)

7. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    this is cool

8. Josiah Tobin

Josiah Tobin Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Hey, I'm Josiah. I'm the sound guy and one of two artists.

[​IMG]
    !

~Josiah

9. dettiekinz

Eeeee cute! XD

10. JennaleeAuclair

Jan 7, 2011
    [​IMG]

I am Jennalee I am an artist at Broken Kings ^_^
    I am the Squirrel up above's Fiance >.0

11. ShadowsFall

ShadowsFall Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Summer job soon
    TA 09'
    This is quite a random thread. Mind if I join in?

[​IMG]

12. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    It's been quite a day - we've made a ton of progress, most of the art is already done (!), we have the lovely background from Jennalee, the great game assets including the cute squirrel from Josiah, and a lot of the code near complete from Lopi and myself. Berni made us sandwhiches for lunch and chicken caesar wraps for dinner and is working on editing the video we recorded of our design session for this game (even though unfortunately, the part where we designed this game got cut off!). All in all, I can say that this Friday has been a pretty good success.

This screenshot is a bit old, but since we haven't posted it here yet, here we go!

[​IMG]

13. dettiekinz

Hi!! :)

14. dettiekinz

Day 1 is quickly coming to a close! It's been a pretty productive day for everyone. Video for the planning/brainstorming session from this morning is currently exporting and should be done processing in a few hours.

It's a pretty long one... But that was the best I could do with the 50 minute footage we had.

15. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    Our last word of day 1: A progress video! Just how much can one small game studio get done in one day?

1 down, 2 to go :)

16. Braderz999

Braderz999 Active Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Wow good job guys :)

Interesting target you have set yourselves, good luck.

Btw check PM

17. dettiekinz

18. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
  19. dettiekinz

Hey there! :D We've started Day two and there's been a lot of progress so far. The game team will post updates soon. :)

20. BrokenKings

May 13, 2009
    Our new icon is now in the game:

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? :D