Universal Riddick: The Merc Files - (by Gaming Corps)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Sep 18, 2013.

1. brickjr

brickjr New Member

Jan 17, 2010
    Not too impressed

It plays fine on my iPad mini, but I can't say I'm extremely impressed. It controls okay, but the AI seems pretty random. It's seen me through walls when I'm in the shadows a couple times and has "found" bodies that are in the shadows and VERY far away once. Very simplistic mission goals... each level has three options on how you play through - escape, kill the guards, or collect something, but in all three you have to kill the guards in order to escape or collect the item, so I don't really see the point.

Bottom line... I think this could have been a lot more than what it is right now. If I had it to do over, I don't think I'd spend my 3 bucks on this again.

2. The comments in this thread have not been too good. Too bad.

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Plays smoothly on my mini as well, so im not sure what caused the framerate instability on SV's i5.

Contrary to most imps here, i think this game's decent. Not the best stealth game, but still a bit enjoyable.

As mentioned by brickjr, each time you start a level, you choose of 3 objectives: Escape - requires you go to the exit point, Takedown - requires you to kill a target before heading to the exit, and Fetch - which requires you to pickup an item and take it to the exit which may or may not require taking down guards.

Tap a location to move there. Tap an enemy to walk up and kill him. Tap a body on the ground to start dragging it around. Tap Riddick to drop carried body. Tap items to pick them up. Tap a dropped weapon to pick it up, and tapping an enemy while wielding a weapon fires it at them.

Double tap a spot to run there. While dragging a body or carrying an object, double tapping will make you drop whatever you're carying and lets Riddick run to that spot.

Swiping around rotates the screen around Riddick, and pinching zooms out the map in some Riddick-vision.

The stealth element is what makes the game good. Not sure what happened to brickjr's game, but i am able to hide pretty successfully behind walls and in shadows. If they see you with a flashlight, of course they spot you and fire at you. So far, it's been working pretty well for me.

I really am enjoying this one a bit as there arent a lot of good stealth games on the appstore.

But here's the thing. I like this, but if it werent a Riddick game, it wouldnt have this charm on me.

Other than what i've mentioned, there really isnt much meat in this game as every mission is the same, just in different locations.

It's a good game, but it lacks more mechanics and polish to make it fantastic.

4. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Yeah, I have no idea what was causing the framerate issues either. I booted it up this morning, and it played a LOT smoother. I was able to play for about 30 minutes with no issues what-so-ever with unresponsive controls or jerkiness...

So... with that out of the way - this is probably up there with Dynamite Jack, Nightworld, Spy Mouse (yeah, I consider it a stealth based game, and a good one at that...), Silent Swords, Spy Corp, ect... as one of the best Stealth-based games on the touchscreen. While Dynamite Jack is still my favorite, Riddick has a great graphic look, some very nice atmospheres, and I love that you've got 3 different objectives in each stage. You don't HAVE to kill or take down each of the enemies in each objective either - getting to the exit, you don't have to kill any... takedowns - you just need to take out the marked enemy, and item collection - you don't need to take any enemies out either.

Now, the only thing that's really getting on my nerves is that you can't carry your item while running (Riddick will automatically drop it whenever you start running) - which I guess I kind of understand, but I don't see the real purpose of including this as a mechanic. Then again... I'm no video game developer... so... =o/

Anyway... definitely a nice game so far, and well worth the $3 POA. I hope that it sells well so that we can get more content. =oD

5. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    By the way, this game absolutely does run on an iPhone 4.

Not sure what all the asterisk text in the description is all about. Perhaps just because it runs a bit slower? Still seems odd to turn away potential purchases. Running iPhone 4 on iOS 7 here.

6. PureRumble

PureRumble Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2012
    #26 PureRumble, Sep 19, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2013
    Check the gameplay video. Doesn't look to be solid. I would rather stay away from this one for a while…

7. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    I've been having fun with this. Dodging incoming shots can be frustratingly difficult to pull off at times, but that only adds to the importance of the stealth element.
    The controls also work quite well, definitely a much better setup than would be the case with virtual controls.
    Played it on an iPod Touch 5th gen, and it runs quite smoothly. Highly recommended to Riddick fans.

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I should get back to this. I really like the game, but another got me occupied lately. Them vamps and shadows and all that. :)

9. Kirs

Kirs Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Its a reskin of the Glu game Shadow World.

10. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    If you'd played both, you'd realize how wrong that statement is...

11. Johnny1st

Johnny1st Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Is this game compatible with iPhone 4? In its description it said not compatible, but that's gone now. So, I'm confused.
    Does anyone knows about it or plays it on an iPhone 4? Because i really want to play this game, I'm a big fan of the movies.

12. Johnny1st

Apr 19, 2011
    Well is it true that it doesn't work? I'm thinking about a better device also!

13. Johnny1st

Apr 19, 2011
    By the way did anyone played the other games (PC/Xbox) ? And how are they?

14. Just played the game after picking up the game on sale, and have to say it needs an option for vstick controls bad. It's hard to have fun with these controls. Please consider a vstick option, thanks.

15. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    New content update: GC Achievements, GC Leaderboards, and a new map pack with a new game mode (although i havent checked out what this is yet).

Despite being somewhat repetitive (what isnt nowadays, especially on mobile gaming?), this is a solid stealth game that makes use of shadows. The controls can still improve, but it works just fine. The look and feel is definitely Riddick.

The game does have its share of flaws though. AI can easily be exploited, and may need to be more intelligent. The biggest flaw of this game for me is the file size, which is just huge.

16. Still hoping for vstick controls. Tried to play this again and the controls really turn me off.

17. Khelven

Khelven New Member

Sep 3, 2012
    So just throwing this out there, will there be any further improvement/upgrades to this game? Riddick I just feel needs more love in the gaming universe, cause let's face it... He ain't gettin any younger (in r/l). But don't get me wrong I love the guy, the series as a whole, the universe, and this game is a good start. So what's up?