Free Games By Gameloft (upcoming - NOT Free+)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Madman100, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Hello all GL fans and fans-not. Recently it was tweeted by GL they are to be switching 4 of their already released titles to FREE (with adds) permanently in the coming weeks or so. I want to discuss this some since the thread was closed for "not being a deal" so I'm posting this thread in the lounge section to continue the discussion.

Personally, this seems great to me, even though I own 90% of their AppStore titles if I get one free I'll be satisfied. On the other hand, a few people seem to be very dissatisfied saying things such as "this is not a deal" and even going as far to say "I'm not downloading another GL game" due to the practice of adding simple adds in loading screens and menus respectably; note the adds aren't a permanent fixture and CAN be closed or hidden. There was also speculation that GL might be trying to implement such adds into premium, paid titles but this is neither fact nor impossible for now.

More speculation - I figure these games aren't selling as much as they used to so they decide they will be better off providing advertisers with the cost and letting us (cheap) gamers reap the rewards. Also note we do not know yet what games are making the transition.

I want to hear your thoughts on this since the posters here on TA seem split between this being great and this being another scam by these greedy bastards.

2. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout
    I wonder which games they will be - and I will probably download them if I don't already own them. I think it is a smart idea by GL and if it is done right (just ads in the menus and no freemium bullcrap) - it could very well be a good source for attracting new consumers to their other games.

3. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Hmmm... This could prove to be very interesting... I wanna see how this pans out...

4. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I think this could prove quite interesting, partly depending on the games. I hope gameloft doesn't screw over it's former buyers, but honestly ads on the loading screens and menus doesn't sound all that bad (mainly for people getting it free, not people that bought it). Though likely it would be an update before it went free, so it's not likely gonna force old buyers. Since I don't own many of GL's "classics" this sounds quite interesting to me. Hoping for some fun games. I'm personally a big fan of Gameloft when they make a good game (fun and generally premium) but dislike them when they make a bad game (annoying or sometimes freemium).

5. daigamer

daigamer Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Straight to the point dont listen to these whiny gameloft haters who get pisssed off everytime they here gamelofts name. I think half of those people are actually developers who hate the money gameloft is making.
    Gameloft is actually raising the bar for games doing the best they can to satisfy console and middle ground gamers. They should be applauded and those indies who make real games should be applauded also.

6. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I agree, to a point. Many of gameloft games (Spiderman, MC series, NOVA series, and others) raise the bar and create some of the best games available. However, lately Gameloft has been making worse games than they had before (a couple exceptions) and dropping the bar more than gaining. That's why I'm not a gameloft fan boy. I'm not a hater either. I love a bunch of there games. But gameloft's treks into freemium for example have been a pain. Personally though, gameloft is one of my favorite companies simply because most of the games I like of theirs are some of my favorites on iOS of all games...

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I think it's a rip off for the people who bought the games and basicly a bait and switch it's simply a case trying to cash in twice in my opinion.

Doesn't matter to me though I've been finished with gameloft since lets golf 3 but I suspect everytime they do this they will lose customers anyway.

8. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    This whole post makes me laugh. I'll be sure to keep a mental stamp on ur forehead reading "Gameloft Hater" whenever I read ur posts. ;) but heh, opposing views are always welcome.

--

From a post on Gameloft's FB page: "What kind of games will be offered? We've selected a variety of classic hits taken from our catalogue of action, sports, casual and family titles, plus anything in between."

Some likely candidates: UNO (that's all I got :eek:)

Some wishful thinking: Rayman, Eternal Legacy, Starfront, Sports Pack (not likely)

Turns out I own less of GL's games than I thought. I'm personally excited to see what comes from this. I understand that people might be bothered if they paid for these games and now they are forced into add-infested menus and loading screens (ohh, God. WHYY?!?). Hopefully they can lay to rest some of these worries but either way it doesn't seem that bad.

9. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    #9 Teknikal, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
    Don't hate them but I also won't be buying their games again, before they started these kind of scams I'd bought 31 of their titles and that's not even counting a few I've deleted.

Just to make my point

[​IMG]

I'll happily buy full games at high prices but I won't ever install freemium or ad ridden junk and most of gameloft games are pretty poor anyway.

10. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    [​IMG]

Haha, jk.

11. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I see replying to this thread is pretty pointless I remember your propaganda from the lets golf 3 thread now. People might just think you have an pro Gameloft agenda.

12. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    Haha. I was just messing with u and I do like Gameloft, as hard as that is to believe. And I did stick around the LG3 thread because, freemium or not, I didn't think it was as bad as people said. But, like I said, opposing views are welcome.

I'm not exactly "pro Gameloft". If they do N.O.V.A. 3 free+ I wont be supporting that model, same with every other freemium with the exception of maybe a few bucks. I try to keep a neutral view of things as to not dilute myself to a molt of rage or fanboyism.

I find it hard to believe people would miss out on some of THE BEST games on their device based on the practice of a few (or more) freemiums. Another thing, I don't understand the rage some people appropriate with the addition of adds in free games. I would be grateful if u can enlighten me on this subject, which I doubt u can because frankly, the only sense I can make from it is that some people like to act like babies and complain.

A response (or not) would mean a lot for this thread.

13. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    I've no problem with ads in free games at all companys have a right to revenue but I do have a problem with ads being added later to paid games/apps. If someone buys an app that has no ads for a fair price there should not be ads sneaked into an update later.

I actually think the worst culprit for this I've seen was the justin.tv app they raised the price up took away the ads and made a big fanfare about being ad free then sneaked them back in about a month later. I'm not suprised their rating suffered so badly.

14. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    People people people

(+) Gameloft giving aged titles for free is not that bad.

(-) Gameloft taking a $6.99 game like mc3, then after everyone buys it deciding to make it free and cluttered with adds MANDATORY. If they do, I want some money back. EX: picture purchasing Microsoft office for $100, then they make it free in an update and now you've got ads running across your paid version.

(-)(-) gameloft putting less development effort into games because they will be free with IAP. Like someone on this forum said before. Bringing real world concerns like $$$ into an artificial world that is supposed to provide an escape from the real world sounds pretty lame.

*** I don't think gamers really hate gameloft. I think they hate where they're heading. Gaming isn't all about $$$. It is the brilliance of the art, story or experience. When a company like gameloft, which is the console contender, starts drifting from the image gamers bestowed upon them it is disheartening.

15. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    Haha I remember the Justin tv scandal and I was their biggest opponent. Good thing it was free when I got it. there must have been 10 updates from Justin tv trying to find balance in the pricing.

16. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    Hmm, I see. I'm expecting the movement to be of apps that are probably hardly played anymore and not so new like MC3, at least I hope so. If u ask me, new life to these game might be a good trade-off for a few adds especially if it's an online game.

Also, we're talking about a few dollars here, not a hundred. A fairer comparison would be like purchasing a spicy chicken sandwich and soon after you find out they're running a sponsorship (for whatever reason) and are now giving that very same sandwich free of charge(!!).

If u truly feel duped, maybe u should get ahold of GL Customer Service and explain the situation and see how they respond. They are truly honorable people when it comes to customer communication, believe me. And I felt the exact opposite about a month ago.

This^ is for a freemium topic thread, but I will say this: I don't see how making free+ games directly lowers development efforts.

I actually like this part, but I do believe GL consistently raises the quality of their games. This is of course my opinion and highly debatable but unfortunately is off topic for this thread also since this was created with the intention to discuss and/or speculate on the 4 games making a permanent trasition to free with adds.

@Teknikal, evident from your previous posts, u were highly against games with adds, describing them as "add ridden junk". Though it was not my intention, I'm glad I played a role in affecting your take on this. ;)

--

Apologies for the long winded post but I somewhat enjoy discussing different views from a neutral perspective.

17. Teknikal

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    No my opinion hasn't changed but ads in free version don't effect me as I don't install them if others want to tolerate them to save money that's really up to them, I'll always look elsewhere though.

18. Madman100

Jul 6, 2011
    From "ad ridden junk" to "I've no problem at all." Is this not a clear transition? And here I was thinking u grew some common sense. :(

19. Darth Ronfar

Darth Ronfar Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    Animal related
    LA
    Well, I guess since six guns is doing well theyre gonna stay with it.... alot more people will play the games and people will end up paying for in app purchases to the point where they make more money that way....

I'd like tk see MC:3 free and eternal legacy.... Also they need to bring the new rayman over...

At this point it's not that bad but if Chillingo goes freemium then it's over....

20. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I don't have a problem with this tbh. I own like 3 GL games only. I'm serious. They take too much space on my 8GB usually so I only have MC2, MC3 and Nova 2... I'm more than happy to grab one of those for free!