Two Questions about Apple TV gaming

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sweetdiss, Jan 28, 2013.

1. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Hello!

I recently acquired a new Apple TV and have been having a blast with it. However, I have noticed lag when using airplay mirroring and airplay gaming. My router is fairly cheap and not the best... What is the BEST router to use with AirPlay so that the lag is less noticeable? I've read about "dual bands" and "5ghtz" but am not terribly tech savvy... Knowing what I'm using it for (AirPlay mirroring of games) can someone recommend an awesome router for under $200?

And second, what are some good ipad/iphone party games that are compatible with Apple TV? Something along the lines of pictionary or trivia that would put a TV and multiple iDevices to good use.

Thanks!

2. #2 Connector, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    You are always going to have a slight delay and some lagging with almost any router using airplay mirroring mode. If you want no delay or lagging, the only way to go is hdmi tv. Plus hdmi tv has a much higher resolution than airplay does.

The better router the better, but unless you have an a6 processor, the dual bands won't help a bit. Just get a good n router.

There is some good info in the hdmi thread and the only somewhat current list of airplay games on it, I don't know what page it is on, but here is the link. Read it cause airplay games and mirrored games play exactly the same way as hdmi games.

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=173262

Attached Files:

3. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009

Thanks Connecter! I was wondering if you'd be the first to reply, haha. : )

The thing is, I need a new wireless router anyway, so I figured I'd get one that works really well with my Apple TV for when I'm sitting on the couch and don't want an HDMI cable strung across the room.

I poked around online a bit and kept seeing things about speed making airplay work with less lag, which makes sense. The thing is, I don't really know what speeds are "fastest". I went to Best Buy and found all kinds of dual band routers touting things like "300/300" and "450/450"... I'm not really sure if there's a big difference between those or if there is something even better? It's all way above my head.

Summary: looking for a great router for under $200 that provides the best online gaming, hd streaming, and airplay performance. What are my options?

4. #4 Connector, Jan 28, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
    Apple tv is great for wireless and multipurpose use. HDMI while great cause of no lagging and delay and increased resolution for mirrored games, is cumbersome with the huge cable and hdmi adapter. Both are great in their own way. I recommend both.

I see from your descriptions that you have an iphone 5, so I think you can get a good dual band 5 ghz n router. See this

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2012/11/best-of-both-worlds-setting-up-wi-fi-for-ios-on-2-4-and-5ghz/

I really doubt you will get a lot of responses on this cause this is so cutting edge and most people just buy the cheapest $20 router they can find. Also, when I go to the applestore, they have some of the best tech for wifi out there, and alot of those problems are inherent for wireless vs wired. Even there, I notice the same thing.

But, the faster router setup the better. I hope someone can help you find the best router for your setup as possible cause honestly that is what made me choose hdmi over appletv, mirrored games. But let us know if you get a router that makes a substantial difference. Hopefully you can find someone else here that has tried a lot of the state of the art routers like a system admin guy. I used to work alot with computer hardware, but not nowadays.