The expenisve IAPs

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by EfratBarTal, Jan 9, 2012.

1. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
    hey guys, maybe this has been discussed before but i couldn't find a thread so i am starting my own.

okay, so we all know this type of IAP that is just ridiculously expensive. this "truckload of coins" item that costs $49.99, or that "orchard of tomatoes" item that is on a sale for $99.99 and my question is: what do you think about them? have you ever intentionally bought an item so stupidly expensive? what is the most that you've ever spent on single consumable?

for me, these items are mostly a joke. i like to go into the IAPs section and just see what's the most expensive purchasable and then let out a big laugh on it. i don't think that anyone actually buys them on purpose (expect from little kids who can't tell right from left). i know that there's been a debate about these kinds of items that made Apple changed the purchase confirmation procedure because probably 99 percent of them went off for a refund. i mean you can't tell a devs how much to charge for the IAPs in their games but at the same time i am not completely in acceptance of even having an item, obviously un-proportionally expensive available to buy.

so what do you guys think?

2. [M&B]Games

[M&B]Games Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2012
    I personally have never bought ANY IAPs for the time management freemium games. I always also check the prices to laugh :p

3. lepeos

lepeos Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2010
    I'd say the people who purchase these IAP probably come here and read threads like this to have a laugh

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    #4 LOLavi, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2012
    Okay time to grow up... Well my biggest buy on a single game was Modern Combat 3 and Dead Space, both for $6.99. Bought an IAP once for Cordy, that's all.

I would NEVER EVER buy an In App Purchase that costs that much, because what would I really get with it? A game that I've just sucked out all the fun of challenge from and turned it into a cash milking cow. I'd rather buy an actual console game than spend money on Beeline, Ville games etc.

5. kearnel

kearnel Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Swansea, UK
    Yeah I agree, I just stay away from them completely

6. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I haven't made myself buy a 99c iAP yet, would never buy any $10+...

7. Bparker

Bparker Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    A beta tester at home
    Atlantic, IA
    The only IAPs I have ever fallen victim too are the mighty eagle ones but they aer only pp cents and you can get achievments. Plus the mighty eagle is just dang awesome:D

8. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    What none of you enjoy buying consumables???

On a more serious note though, yes it's a joke but I think devs add them because they know someone will accidentally purchase them.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Well, Mighty Eagle actually adds to the experience of the game. Nothing wrong with that. Content iAPs are great. Not to mention, it's only $0.99. Rovio could stick a shitload of consumable iAPs into the Angry Birds' series if they wanted to, and many, many people would buy them. Good thing they're above that.

10. Quantum Apocalypse

Quantum Apocalypse Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    #10 Quantum Apocalypse, Jan 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2012
  11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I've bought a few cheap ones in Bullet Time, loved that game so much (it was free) i was quite happy buying a bit of money in the game as a 'thank you' to the devs as its superb.

The silly high priced packs you get must be put in there for a joke though

12. EfratBarTal

EfratBarTal Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2011
    Female
    CEO
    Tel-Aviv
  13. ANIMALCHOPPINGS

ANIMALCHOPPINGS Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Canada
    Only iAP I have ever bought is Peggle Nights on the Peggle game. It was 2.99 and I don't regret it at all

14. majia2008

majia2008 Active Member

Mar 20, 2011
    I don't like IAPs. But it seems like more and more apps start to use IAPs. :(

15. Filing Cabinet

Filing Cabinet Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2011
    I have no problem with expansion IAPs, most if not all expansions that i've bought have been about a buck.

I really hate consumable IAP, and games that are heavily tilted to favour the purchase of those to make any sort of progress.

Whenever I see any of those IAPs that are more than >$10, i have to laugh, cause you just know somewhere, somebody is paying that amount, because either they're too stupid or they have just get too involved in a game.