Good hardcore strategy games for the iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chakie, Dec 14, 2010.

1. chakie

chakie Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Developer
    Finland
    Does the iPad have good hardcore strategy games? Not RTS swipe-as-fast-as-you-can games, card games or similar, but traditional strategy or war games. I'm thinking about games similar to Battle for Wesnoth, any old SSI games, the Combat Mission series (3D graphics not needed). The strategy games I've seen so far are mostly quite light weight.

I know, the audience is likely quite small and probably discourages developers, but at least I'd buy good games. :)

Any recommendations for good games or games that I should definitely stay away from?

2. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Risk HD just came out today. i picked up "Reiner Knizia's thru the Desert" and his Labyrinth yesterday. iheroes and War of Eustrath HD are good too! Those are ipad only.

some iphone strats i like:
    Strongholds, Neo Nectaris, Mecho Wars, Uniwar, Rogue Planet

3. zilog

zilog Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Battle for Wesnoth is available for the iPad (not sure if you realised that or not)

Civilization Revolution is very well done - I much prefer the iPad version over both XBox and DS (I have all 3). Hardcore fans of "normal" Civilization will probably not appreciate it because it is VERY streamlined but this does mean you can finish a game in 1-2 hours.

I cannot think of any others unfortunately! I am sure it is just a matter of time though since the iPad is perfect for this type of game. I would love some kind of Laser Squad/Rebelstar game or Advance Wars (but unless everyone stops buying Nintendo DS consoles overnight that is never gonna happen!)

4. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Not really.

There's quite a few good strategy games in lighter weight classes — Neuroshima Hex, Catan, Small World, many of the Knizia titles, etc. — but nothing yet in the realm of what might be considered "wargames" or "heavy" strategy games.

I'm with you — I'd be a purchaser, too. But I think we are in the minority. Also, a traditional wargame would likely be expensive and risky to develop.

At this point, I'd gladly settle for Ogre or G.E.V., though ... :D

5. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    If you read the review on the main page it says its not srreamlined and basically a port of sim city 3000.

6. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Not by a small studio it wouldnt or indy devs. And look at how succesful the totsl war series has been. How expensive would it be for segs to port on of them when it is already finished?

7. chakie

chakie Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Developer
    Finland
    Well, I'm actually a part of the team that made "Reiner Knizia's Through the Desert", so it's quite familiar. :) I am looking for somewhat more in depth strategy games though.

I was aware that Wesnoth is available for the iPad, that's why I used it as an example.

8. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Im not that familiar from the game but I remember the ipod version was talked about alot on the forums, Land Sea Air Warfare.

9. chakie

chakie Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Developer
    Finland
    In my free time I'm working on a dead simple wargame too, something along the lines of the classic "Empire Deluxe". If it works out and actually ever gets completed I guess one could move in a more hardcore direction by picking ideas from the really old telnet based Empire games (such as Wolfpack Empire).

But, this is not yet ready and perhaps never will be, so it won't satisfy my hunger for some strategic thinking. :)

10. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I reread the post you quoted several times, but alas, I still can't tell why you're talking about SimCity.

Strategy is a genre much neglected on iOS games, which is unfortunate.

11. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Not universal, but Commodore 64 included Lazer Squad as a free game. ;)

For Advance Wars, there is Mecho Wars (which might even still be free!)

Runs great under iDOS :D, which unfortunately got pulled... :( (Runs XCom and the others as well :p)

The War of Eustrath is on iPad, and is a fairly serious wargame...

12. Qordobo

Qordobo Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    Not sure it's what you are looking for, but perhaps Palm Heroes which seems to be Heroes of might & magic 2, without the original campaign but with user maps or perhaps maps series (mini campaigns). It's a sort of blind advice because I didn't felt motivated to try it because of the lack of the original campaigns, despite I have it. :)

13. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
  14. chakie

chakie Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Developer
    Finland
  15. TheDukester

TheDukester Well-Known Member

Oooooh, nice pickup on that one. Thanks for the link.

I'd seen the title, but I think I was getting it mixed up with that Vikings Can Fly advertisement. :eek:

16. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
  17. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
  18. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Read this press announecement of it:
    http://worldinwar.com/forum/showthread.php?6-From-the-website-Coming-soon-to-the-App-Store&p=6#post6

"“I have played many fantastic strategy games with my friends says game designer Tommy Palm of Fabrication Games, “but most require a huge investment of time to play in one sitting. We wanted to replace those time‐killers with a quick to learn accessible experience for the iOS platforms. World in War is a reaction to that urge."

See even a niechengame such as this has to be simplified and made casual thats how inept the idevice game devs always assume the userbase to be and how little attention span they hage. I cant think of a single complex or pc style game on the ipad or idecices at all. Why is that?

19. chakie

chakie Member

Dec 13, 2010
    Developer
    Finland
    Well, casual means more sales, and everyone's a capitalist in the end. I'd happily pay for hardcore strategy, but I doubt there are too many like me out there, at least not enough to make a living from.

20. Gunlock

Gunlock Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2010
    If you are looking for a hardcore strategy game Knights of the Phantom Castle is worth checking out, especially now with a sale prace of $0.99. Don't know if it matches exactly to what you are looking for but the overall content and excellent amount of gameplay is amazing. On higher levels it is very challenging. Really worth a look imho.