Who is worried?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by plooper, May 14, 2011.

1. plooper

plooper Well-Known Member

May 6, 2011
    Defender of Earth
    Mars
    Independent iOS developer James Thomson has received a “worrying threat” of legal action from an unnamed company over his use of Apple’s in-app purchasing system in his scientific calculator application.

WHo are these people trying to claim legal action?

Machine guns need to be loaded for them.

Who do they think they are to claim copyright or patent over in app purchase the freakin gold diggers.

2. Fireball926

Fireball926 Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2010
    none
    Somewhere
    wow googles screwed too... chrome app srtore as some

3. plooper

plooper Well-Known Member

May 6, 2011
    Defender of Earth
    Mars
    Looks like not many studios on here or single publishers must be worried that these gold diggers are trying to take a cut of other peoples in-app purchases!

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Your post was incredibly vague. I'm guessing no one is worried because they don't have a clue what the legal action is aimed at specifically.

5. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

Some patent holding company is suing random developers that use in-app purchases based on a patent from years ago. Just a random money grab IMO

6. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
  7. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Does that not just come down on Apple then? It's their technology, right? Why should a developer be responsible?

8. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #8 mr.Ugly, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
    The developer plays by apples rules, but in the end its your software, apple just distribute it, so from a legal standpoint you are soley responsible for it.

But i have no doubt that apple will step to protect their app store (they definatly dont care about individual developers)

9. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    That may not be entirely true: http://tidbits.com/article/12174

10. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    i don't see the point..

if you purchase the right to use software x (which you do by purchasing a dev license) but software x contains part y which may infringe on someone else ip then yes you are responsible for that part in your software.

but liability here can be complicated.. if you used not rightly covered software from apple who licensed it to you they would be reliable for any damage you would encounter by using their software. so if party y sues you (which they do not at the time being) you could sue apple for damaged received by their faulty licensed software.

that would be independant from apple/party y beef about them selling product x to customers which contains no properly licensed parts y..

but copyright law is different from country to country and any claim is just a claim until proven.

also license agreements are NOT! law or need to be lawfull.. for what its worth the hole license agreement between different parties could be completly bolocks in the eye of the law, but until the agreement is completly disected by a judge (and possible instances) the thing is only black print on white paper..

that a reason all german license agreements i've yet completly read (not that many it gets boring quickly) have usualy a passus which states that if any of the points in the license agreements is faulty it does not change the other points till proven faulty aswell.

i somehow assume that this is similar in other countries too.

there is a reason why such legal battles take years and consume enourmous amounts of money.. because its an complex overbloated system which gets even worser if you step out into the international market..

i had my share of thoose over the years and there is nothing more annoying than wasting time of your life on such a stupidity the legal system can be.

every business should have a legal protection insurance nower days.. no matter if tiny or big indie. thoose couple euros a month can save you alot of headage :)

11. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    And Apple seems to have put limits into the dev agreement as to what a dev can do in such a case, without prior consent. The next week will be very interesting. If Apple says nothing, while X number of devs are coerced into paying a license fee for something Apple encouraged them to integrate, then that's the worst kind of PR possible going into WWDC in June. If Apple indemnifies all devs, then the patent troll is getting exactly what they'd hoped for: a quick and direct line to Apple.

12. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

well again i can't speak for us law.. but over here you should be carefull in what you agree to if someone claims.. because here even if the claim is wrong but you agreed to accept thoose you are bound to thoose terms then..

i think they apporached the "small" guys because they are an easier target to scare into accepting the claims.. and backed up by a hand full of accepted claims lodsys might think it would strenghten their position..

as for a quick and direct line.. you have a direct line to apples law department the second you send them a c&d claim.. so their apporach to target smaller devs is more then shady.. but honestly what do you expect from such companies who just exist to "defend" phony ip they sit on.

13. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Yes, it's all 100% shady, and that fact is emphasized by their blog posts today: http://www.lodsys.com/blog.html

It's a shakedown, pure and simple.

14. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    from their website

well thats interesting.. if apple is really a licensor it will be interesting to see if they and how they will act to protect their developers, this will be an interesting one because it can have a huge impact..

if i would guess one of the bigger parties will go to court and get the ancient loosely formulated patent removed.

15. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    This part may be very telling of their ultimate goal:

Q: I developed on Apple iOS (or other platform), why isn’t Apple (or other OS vendor) responsible, or taking care of this issue?

"...One blogger suggested that an OS or device vendor or retailer could choose to contact Lodsys and purchase a license on behalf of its application ecosystem, but so far such discussions haven’t taken place."

It's certainly not cost effective to try to get yearly fees from hundreds of thousands of developers. But collecting a single voluntary fee from Apple is.

16. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    hehe yeah makes sense.. and would be definatly what lodsys would aim as the jackpot..

from a economical standpoint it would make no sense to aim at every single tiny developer offering iap or update functions. their income is way to low to get a reasonable sum out of them. 0,5x percent in their example figure..

17. Little White Bear Studios

Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Exactly. In most cases, the cost of collecting the fee would be greater than the fee itself.

18. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member