SpongeBob Marbles and Slides by Gilded Skull Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gildedskull, Sep 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gildedskull

gildedskull Well-Known Member

#1 gildedskull, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
    'SpongeBob SquarePants™ Marbles and Slides' has released for both iPhone and iPad. We will continue to discuss new updates and add-on content in this thread.

(iPhone link: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/spongebob-marbles-slides/id394392302?mt=8 )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a short game description:

Use your finger to paint ‘slides’ and help SpongeBob to roll his marble shaped body through level after level in this drawing-meets-physics puzzle game.

Over fifty levels at launch with new themed packs of levels to be given away for free in monthly updates!

Features include:

- drawing to create slides and paths for the marbles (obviously!)
    - tilt the device to get out of sticky situations
    - Pinball flippers and bumpers
    - The ability to stop time!*
    - Vivid art style taken directly from the show
    - ‘Collection of Stuff’
    - Thrilling see-saw action!
    - An amazing Hawaiian ukulele and guitar soundtrack
    - Rainbows!

Hazards include:

- The enormous metal ‘Fist of Doom’!
    - A stinky urinal
    - Evil and toxic Plankton marbles
    - Perilous Lasers
    - A gigantic, crushing hammer
    - Glowing, lethal goo everywhere

...and much, much more!

For both iPhone/iPod Touch and iPad

* in game only

The iPad version:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've developed all of the game visuals (using a lot of the painted artwork directly from the show) and designed the game with our tech lead, an amazing and talented programmer by the name of Chris Sokol (who's also working on Galactic Keep and Skull Smashers, by the way!).

2. doodlejumper

doodlejumper Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    This looks okay, but I wish someone would get to porting Battle Of Bikini Bottom GBA to the iPhone.

3. gildedskull

I wish they'd port a lot of GBA games to the iPhone...

I actually worked on SB: Battle for Bikini Bottom (GBA and the other console versions). Back in the day I was an 'interactive designer' for Nickelodeon. The gigantic Sandy boss was cool. I think I still have the GameCube version. That game wasn't half bad.

4. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Yeah, the Sandy boss was pretty awesome. I had to cheat through part of it though, you made it too hard! :p That was one of the only really good GBA games ever made besides the Pokemon saga.

5. gildedskull

Wow. That's a pretty heavy statement.

Here are two more screens from the iPad version. One is from a level that takes place in the bathroom of the Chum Bucket (hehe). The other is a pinball-style level. There's a good mix of puzzle solving and action in the game.

All the levels that appear in the iPad version will also be available the iPhone version, btw.

[​IMG]

6. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Are you calling me heavy? ;)

7. gildedskull

I don't know about that...but ranking 'SpongeBob: Battle for Bikini Bottom GBA' up there with Pokémon? That's a pretty grand statement.

8. doodlejumper

Jan 27, 2010
    Stuck in traffic
    Yeah, but that's only personal opinion of course.

9. gildedskull

I think that Vicarious Visions developed the GBA version of Battle for Bikini Bottom. They went on to make quite a few good DS games (and games on a lot of other platforms!)

10. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Dude, you made that game?! Awesome! One of the few games I ever actually played all the way through. It may have seemed like somewhat of a kiddie game, but I really enjoyed it. I'm still kicking myself for selling that one.

11. gildedskull

Let me clarify, for the record: I didn't make it, it has no affiliation with Gilded Skull. Vicarious Visions was the developer of SB Battle for Bikini Bottom for GBA. I was working for Nickelodeon at the time and reviewed it: gave art direction, game-play ideas etc.

Good game, agreed.

12. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Kudos, you made one of the best licensed games ever in my opinion. Bring the console version to the iPhone and iPad, I wouldn't mind playing it again even though I'm a few years older :).

13. Abisco

Abisco Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    On the internet.
    Read his previous post, he isnt affiliated with that company, merely reviewed it. But none the less im sure this game will be awesome!

14. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    I quoted that after seeing that post on the first page. The art looks great in this. Try to bring a part of a Spongebob game, too ;).

15. snowdude11

snowdude11 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Where did you get the rights to make a game like this?

16. gildedskull

From Nickelodeon, it is being published by Nickelodeon (and MTV Networks). We're developing it. Here's the process: We had a game concept that we thought would work perfectly for SpongeBob. We talked to the Nickelodeon people about it and they were into making it. We designed the game in concept and they approved it. We've been working with them to develop the game every step of the way from there!

17. gildedskull

This is an officially sanctioned SpongeBob game :)

It will be the first SpongeBob game native to iPad.

It's the first SpongeBob app that will be constantly and regularly updated with new content. The 'SpongeBob Tickler' has been updated with a lot of content but this is a different sort of thing: new levels will be added to the game often.

This is the first time that SpongeBob and his friends have ever been split into hundreds of pieces and rolled around in ball form.

18. snowdude11

snowdude11 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2010
    Cool! Can you make a game where it is like operation only with spongebob? It would be awesome because Operation is a great board game. I would buy that in a heartbeat!

19. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I meant to say worked on the game... my bad. And I was actually referring to the Gamecube version, rather than the GBA one. I've actually never played the GBA one, but it looks quite a bit like SuperSponge for the PS1, which I enjoyed quite a bit as a kid.

20. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Wow!
    Great in-game Art.. My eyes are on this now, could not read the thread, ll chime in soon again