Importance of Achievements

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Stingman, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    I had a thought regarding achievements. How many of you take interest in achievements, whether it be game center or some sort of reward based achievements?

I personally enjoy achievements when I earn rewards for achieving them, such as an increase in currency, a new title, weapon, ability, etc. However I'm not interested in achievements that only give me a game center achievement for something like "Jump Through 5 Hoops." This kind of stuff seems meaningless to me, and yet I think some people truly do enjoy this.

So I'm just curious to see what others think and what kind of achievements they look for in games? Achievements that take some time and skill to earn like defeating a boss, finding hidden items, reaching a bonus world? Or perhaps simple achievements like jump through 5 hoops? What kinds of achievements do you absolutely go nuts over and/or wish there were more of in games?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

2. CrazedJava

CrazedJava Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2015
    I enjoy seeing them pop up but seek them out. I think it's a neat hook but I can live without it.

The best are ones who put a little thought into it. Don't make super hard to get achievements, but definitely achievements that are maybe outside the norm or for doing a specific action in an awesome, funny, or clever way.

3. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I don't care about achievements. If a game has them I don't even notice. Seems like achievements came around with the Xbox 360. It was neat on there because it was new but now I don't care one way or the other.

4. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I don't even get them half the time.

5. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    In game achievements with a reward are always the best reason why I keep playing but as for Game Center achievements I could care less .

6. DonnyDJ76

DonnyDJ76 Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2011
    Male
    Teacher
    Hackensack, NJ
    Game Center achievements mean a lot to me. There is another thread similar to this in the forums. I feel that when Game Center is integrated, the developers are investing more. I rarely buy games w/o achievements, but thats my opinion.

7. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Me too, Donny. They give me a reason to keep playing a game I would have otherwise gave up on. I've been an achievement hoarder ever since the XBOX 360. My gamerscore is in the 70,000s.

What really bugs me with Game Center achievements is when they are all worth one point a piece. Makes me want to rip my hair out! Haha

8. ROGER-NL

ROGER-NL Well-Known Member

May 21, 2012
    Male
    Gamer.
    THE NETHERLANDS
    Love Achievements, Im no:1294 on Gamecenter and that's what Im living for Ha Ha.

9. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I usually don't care about them but when there is a meaningful in game reward I'll try to go after it.