Will there be more Final Fantasy ports?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Oxynidus, Jan 8, 2011.

1. Oxynidus

Oxynidus Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2010
    I don't know how many times this has been asked, but I've been wondering about Square Enix's enthusiasm for iOS. I've been looking for a sign of more FF ports, or games like Chaos Rings designed specifically for iOS. I saw that they recently ported Lara Croft, but I don't really know if that implies a serious continued interest in iOS or not.

2. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    The recent Secret of Mana port and upcoming Final Fantasy Tactics port seem to imply interest to me.

3. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Final Fantasy Tactics is coming soon if that counts. I'm freaking exciteddddd.

4. Loganaustin

Loganaustin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    FFT is coming soon, as in this spring.. cant wait for that, and they got ff 1 and 2 atm, those are all good games.

5. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    I've never played Tactics. Is it a remake, or a port of the old game?

6. Loganaustin

Dec 12, 2010
    its a port of The war of the lions... IMO Final fantasy tactics are my favorite games in the series :D..

7. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

My favorites either 7 or 12, but they'll never happen on iOS.

The most we can hope for are ports of the 2d FF games.

8. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    The rights to a ton of FF games are held by Sony, so they won't happen on iOS.

9. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

#9 Vester, Jan 8, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
    Well if FFT does well I would expect them to put out more

10. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    Ugh. I didn't know that.

But that's not the case with FF3 and FF4, right?

11. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    I don't know, But I do know that Sony controls FF7, which is the only game anyone seems to care about.

12. Oxynidus

Dec 11, 2010
    I care more about 9, but if they control 7, then that would apply at least to the rest of PS1 games. But I'm hopeful we'll get 3 to 6 at least, unless 3 and 4 are held by Nintendo, since they were remade on the DS.

13. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

I think we were lucky to get 1 and 2.

My favorite is 7 first, because it's the first FF game I've played and it's just fun. And 12 next, cause it was one of the best ps2 RPGs, great graphics, long story, unique combat system.

I can see iOS getting 3, 4 maybe. But as much fun as they were, I can play them on an emulator, pc, psp, iPad. I'd rather see new games made for the hardware, not ports.

14. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    exactly. FF series is great but we would like see more original titles for ios platform. Voice fantasy is not bad but lacks depth. hope SE could do something.

15. Andiron

Andiron Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2010
    #15 Andiron, Feb 20, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
    So, according to a post in the FFT thread by Yodaliu who referenced a scanned image from a Japanese magazine, he said that FF3 is being released this Spring for iOS. Its generated a lot of responses (especially from me) and I thought about opening a new thread on this but since I knew about this thread I figured I would post about it here. I'm not sure this is the best way to "cross post" between threads, but the FFT thread this starts is on page 27 of the "Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions" thread here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=58001&page=27

Sure wish we had more information on this...

EDIT: Disregard the above info as a nice mod moved all the comments about FF3 from the FFT thread to a new thread (yay).

16. bigred447uk

bigred447uk Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    FFVii plays on iOS through an emulator. On my iPhone 4 it runs at full speed and is very playable.

17. Loganaustin

Dec 12, 2010
  18. Serian

Serian Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2010
    As long as they bring FF4 and FF6 as basically Super Nintendo ports I will be happy. I do not want the insanely difficult versions that Japan seems to like. Excellent controls would be welcome, enhanced 2D graphics, and a save anywhere at anytime feature would all be appreciated updates.