iAd use in paid apps...

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by jasonsmith, Apr 10, 2010.

?

iAds in PAID games

1. Don't care, iAd away I say.

13 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. I care a little bit but don't care enough to check another box.

16 vote(s)
    14.5%
  3. I will be upset but will get over it.

25 vote(s)
    22.7%
  4. I will be very upset and will boycott the developer.

51 vote(s)
    46.4%
  5. I'm a Dev and I'm going to love iAds.

5 vote(s)
    4.5%
  1. jasonsmith

jasonsmith Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2009
    I'm not sure how many of you were paying attention during the OS 4.0 "Sneak Peak" but the whole iAd thing has me somewhat concerned. I have always been a semi anti-ad kinda person. I understand and cope with ads in free apps because it needs to be done. That being said I think the new iAd system that Apple is creating will be very rewarding to any developer who wishes to take advantage of it. I personally think were going to start seeing iAds in paid games. I for one will be very upset if I purchase (pay for) a game and find out it has iAds embedded. That will totally ruin the "experience" for me. I think any game that uses an iAd should have a little iAd check box checked in iTunes so we can see which games are using it because we all know, all devs don't make that known. I know I'm a little ahead of it all but I can see the future... j/k.

How do you feel?

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    that you are overreacting.

Ads are trivial to add to apps now.
    Ads services have existed for years now on the iPhone.
    Do we have a problem with paid apps being overrun with ads? No.

arn

3. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    If I see iAds in apps that I've paid for? I'll be furious.

I don't care about ads like in Plants vs Zombies, you press 'more games' and it takes you to a separate screen still within the app. I don't like it when an app exits itself because I accidentally pressed a link.

Bottom line: Non-intrusive, optional ads = :D
    Intrusive, compulsory ads (in paid apps) = :mad:

4. Cifuang

Cifuang Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2010
    It sounded like the apps would come in intervals? It sounded like that at least, and having pop-ups in apps that you paid for is nonsense.

5. jasonsmith

Jul 18, 2009
    If I have offended you or TA I apologize.

6. #6 Tocarina, Apr 10, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
    Ads in free games? Yes. It's a big improvenent from adMob and they look quite fun actually!
    Ads in paid games? No ****ing way, in my opinion. If I spend money on something, I don't want ads staring at me.

7. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    like everyone else
    iAd in paid apps = no
    Iad in free apps = sure, why not

8. zamansimba

zamansimba Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    i wont tolerate adds appearing in paid apps

and i wont want adds that would be obtrusive in a way that needs you to interact with it to disappear/regain function

9. ImNoSuperMan

ImNoSuperMan Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2009
    As long as ads are non intrusive, well made, and keeps you inside the app only (ie is exactly what we saw in the keynote) I dont mind them at all.

10. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Hell no do I want ads in paid apps. If the dev really felt they needed it, it would have to be a tiny icon that fits the style of the game. Not just a generic button used throughout.

Free apps is fine. I understand devs deserve some cash for their well made apps.

11. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Well-Known Member

Magazines have ads in, you pay for them, movies have ads before they start, and product placement throughout, you pay for them, sports grounds are covered in advertising, etc. Advertising and paid content aren't necessarily incompatible as has been shown by many other medias.

Having said that, if ads do start coming into paid iThingy games they going to have to be sensitively handled so they don't interfere with the gameplay, and that's difficult to do with as little real estate as the iPhone/iPod have. Ads on the iPad, on the other hand, are more plausible.

12. bmn0210

bmn0210 Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    I don't actually mind in-game advertising for paid games, as long as it's implemented properly such that it's not intrusive. An example of that done well would be the billboards in the Need for Speed series.

What I DON'T want to see in paid apps are adMob-style banner ads or interstitials, although I've no problem with them in free apps. I also like it when apps include a "more apps by this developer" section in the "About" section. If I like a game, paid or free, it's nice to be able to quickly check what other games that developer has released or is currently working on.

13. 5jusername

5jusername Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    School...
    Somewhere In The Universe
    as long as they aren't intrusive, I'm fine.

14. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Good point here. But the important thing to remember, is that with all those media types mentioned, the audiences targeted are very specific, they're not just placed there hoping it's relevant. So devs should keep this in mind.

15. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    The iad system seems to be something that pops up and covers your whole screen regularly, rendering the app unusable until you actively close the ad. If that's not intrusive then I don't know what is.

16. jasonsmith

Jul 18, 2009
  17. Joshn

Joshn Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    England
    It is actualy an advert at the bottom of the screen that opens up when you tap it.

18. Mr Jack

Mr Jack Well-Known Member

I wonder how customizable it is? And how long you have to show an ad for? Thinking about it, there are a few fairly obvious candidates for where ads could be dropped into a game without unduly harming user experience: the main menu, "results" or "summary" screens shown at the end of a game or level, during loading screens and on the pause menu.

While I'd be unlikely to do that in any of my games I can see you could do it without particularly damaging the game for players.

19. anduril_ukr

anduril_ukr Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Student
    New Jersey
    Here is a video of Steve Jobs demoing it, maybe it can clarify some misconceptions:

20. Spocket

Spocket Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I could really care less about ads in apps. I realize the developers need a way to make money, and I'd rather them do it through ads then through me, the customer. iAds will be great, because the only ads that really bug me are obtrusive ones that hinder my productivity or fun. Since iAds is an Apple product, there won't be any of those obtrusive ads.