iPhone 5: Smaller screen size and implications on gaming?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by KiddToKmart, Feb 13, 2011.

1. KiddToKmart

KiddToKmart Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2011
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41521714/ns/technology_and_science-wireless/

Smaller is (usually) better, but i'm concerned about the implications it will have on gaming. To take a game like Battleheart for example, I couldn't imagine playing it on a screen any smaller than what the iPhone offers already.

What do you guys feel it would do for the portable gaming scene?

2. Wediafom24

Wediafom24 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Student
    Asmara, Eritrea
    Nahh, I will pass. Keep in mind that apple is expected to release iPhone 5 and iPhone nano, two separate iPhones. I am definitely getting the iPhone 5 but not the nano. I am assuming the nano would be more cheaper with less power....

3. jeffmd

jeffmd Active Member

Nov 19, 2010
    If they are looking to go cheaper.. it wouldn't be the iPhone 5, and it will prolly contain a video chip that is like between the ipod 2g and 3g in power. Enough for any apps, but games not so much.

4. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    I don't believe it...yet. I don't understand why a smaller iphone would be needed. Its the perfect size the way it is. There's no point in going smaller.

5. aros2k

aros2k Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2010
    It would be a budget version if anything, just like it says in the article. Not the Iphone 5

6. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    As it sounds like there would be two models available (the small version and the standard version), I think this could be a net plus for iOS gaming.
    When used primarily as a phone, and in comparison to other cell phones, the iPhone really is kind of large. I think there would be an interest and a market for an iOS phone that is more in line with the size of a typical cell phone. Especially if it were cheaper and not bound to a contract with one specific service provider. In that case I think it would appeal to consumers who are shopping for a nice phone, but not neccessarily a "smart phone" or multi-purpose "device." For those buyers, I think a smaller, cheaper iPhone would be more easily considered as an option alongside other phones, and I do think that the number of potential buyers like that could represent a significant new market for Apple.
    The upshot of all that, then, would be more people using iOS devices. And though they might not be serious gamers, I think the numbers representing that increased user base would be hard for developers to ignore.
    An increased market would mean increased demand, and I would hope that such demand would be met by an increase in supply from app developers. That, then, would mean good news overall for iOS gamers.

7. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    By the way, thanks for pointing out that article, KiddToKmart.

8. weilies

weilies Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Game Developer
    Planet Earth
    Budget? If you cant affort the phone? u wont buy the useful apps
    I do think we paid for our entertainment on iPhone.

Smaller screen mean cant affort to pay for the apps, mean not fun using iPhone
    Rather go for BB, cheaper then

9. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

The nano will come with a detachable magnifying glass like the original game boy. It will also contain a 200 watts RMS sub woofer and a pair of testicles.

10. Krollx

Krollx Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2010
    If there is two sizes for the next iphone, wouldn't that be a pain for games? I mean, people have to wait for 'HD' versions for their iPad, wouldn't three sizes be some what an overkill?

11. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

You don't have to own everything Apple throw at you.

12. TapMad_D

TapMad_D Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2010
    gaming
    HongKong
    read similar news on some blogs. ummm, hard to believe there will be 2 types of iphones of the same generation. we will see.

13. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    And people around here complain about the regular iPhone being too small for their hands as is!
    I do think however that that article is vague in the extreme; even going so far as saying that the device could be quite likely cancelled.

14. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Apple cancels more products than it releases. It's one of the reasons why they're so successful.

15. Jarek

Jarek Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    FISHLABS Moderator
    Końskie, Poland

No, if Apple would force devs to submit universal apps only.

PS: It'd be a bless if Apple would do so.

16. Sl1pstream

Sl1pstream Active Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Just like they were expected to have that big iPad 2 event a few days ago? The one where they were going to announce their gaming beast?

lol

17. legoshoes

legoshoes Well-Known Member

Apr 13, 2010
    iphone nano?

Well, okay then...

18. SirAwesome

SirAwesome Well-Known Member

May 20, 2010
    Personally to me, the cost issue is not with the phone its self rather the phone companies requirements for a smart phone contract. I really wanted a smart phone but at least on Verizon the cheapest data plan available was $30 a month. I can take the prices for text and minutes, but cmon offer something less than $30 a month as it has built in wifi and you can use the wifi to download much larger apps and arguably faster.

I duno am I alone in this feeling ?

19. seyoon

seyoon Well-Known Member

Jul 20, 2009
    East Coast
    #19 seyoon, Feb 13, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2011
    How to make this cheaper? Everything the current iPod touch is hardware wise with no contract. Perhaps smaller storage than the iPhone. This will be released with the iPhone 5 so the better featured bigger brother iPhone will have better features and hardware specs. Just speculating.

This will attract more iOS user numbers thus another attractive target audience for the Dev community. So I don't think the screen will be smaller. That would require a separate SDK and I don't see that happening. Obviously, Apple is overjoyed by how the App Store is garnering big bucks thus the company is doing what it can to milk as much resources from this beast. Its all about the App Store growth and the money that pours in.

20. slimothy

slimothy Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2009
    The current devices are standard sizes, but these days phone companies are making smaller phones, and Apple (I think) wants to offer some to people that want that too. Yes, I think that it will be a pain for developers to make ANOTHER app specifically designed for this "iPhone Nano" but I can assure you, the iPhone 5 will not be this 'small device'. It will be normal size. A smaller iPhone wouldn't really be for gaming, just smaller to take calls. I wouldn't get it.