Vote for game controls (Be Free Or Die)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by stubbornmoose, Dec 18, 2009.

?

What controls schema do you like more?

Poll closed Dec 28, 2009.
  1. Dual Stick

50.0%
  2. Aim Anywhere

29.2%
  3. Shoot Anywhere

4.2%
  4. All in One

16.7%
  5. Touch Screen

20.8%
  6. Other (please describe)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. stubbornmoose

stubbornmoose Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    #1 stubbornmoose, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    Hi,

I have received a lot of feedback for my game

Summarizing it: Game controls are crap!!!!

See this post:
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?p=730037#post730037

I have performed a deep research about all possible iPhone game controls.

Please read carrefully description for each schema an provide me a feedback.

Did I mis something there? Is anything that should not be in a game?

I have decided to post this classification in a public forum so other developers may use it as a reference.

Players please comment on that and you will get a better controls for your games ;)

Here is the list of 5 main schemas I will implement:

[​IMG]

Touch Screen schema:

[​IMG]

Aim Anywhere schema:

[​IMG]

Shoot Anywhere schema:

[​IMG]

Dual Stick schema:
    [​IMG]

All in One schema:
    [​IMG]

2. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    hehe sorrry I owe you some feedback. I'll be posting a long as thing about control finetuning and suggestion in a bit.

3. stubbornmoose

Dec 2, 2009
    #3 stubbornmoose, Dec 18, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
    Thanks da shiz wiz 19

4. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    do a control scheme exactly like NOVA's and that will be the answer.

5. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Alright I'll start with my favorite:Aim Anywhere
    This is the scheme MC/NOVA uses right? Well I think you labeled it wrong in the beta. When I use it the controls are the all in one scheme.

So instead Ill talk about the All in one controls. Well its better than it was before. the larger area for touch makes it possible to find your best position on the touch screem and play with it there. But the major shortcomings are the inability to look up and down, and the inability to aim and run. The auto-aim should theoretically fix the run and gun problem but you cant make it perfect, which is what it needs to be to make this control scheme the best.

The auto aim often aims wrong when you are moving. If you are moving to the side it will swing to the right of the zombie on its own. Its like it has inertia. But otherwise the auto aim is good. The all-in-one control system also has the (high) possibilty of the players thumb used to shoot being used to aim as well. The player (me) then tries to slide their thumb from a starting point at the shoot button (the shoot button is in a place that feels more comfortable to start aiming from than the middle of the screen). So this causes the gun to go automatic while you're aiming. This will cause a lot of confusion for the user. A solution could be to only let the touch in the shoot area be registered as shooting and once it goes outside the shoot button area it is registered as aiming?

6. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    duel stick and aim anywhere is the best
    aim anywhere is the same one used in NOVA which works very very well

7. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    I'll get to the rest tommorrow. I'm pooped and have a test tommorrow.

8. stubbornmoose

Dec 2, 2009
    Thanks da shiz wiz 19. The beta I've sent you has 'All in one' implementation only. At the end of this weekend I will finalize all those schemas. It looks like "aim anywhere" should be a default schema, and you are right, it is a default for NOVA.

9. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Wow the new controls are great! Maybe too good because I blew thru the first level waaay to quickly.

10. stubbornmoose

Dec 2, 2009
    I am glad to hear that controls a better now. I haven’t specified all correct default sensitivity levels yet. Could you send me your sensitivity levels screenshots that work better for you?
    And I was afraid of that one, once you master navigation controls you finish the game in in 5 minutes. So what should we do there? Should I add more zombies fer each level? Should I set an achievement level something like "kill
    100 zombies to go to another level"? Any thoughts?

Thanks

11. da shiz wiz 19

Sep 24, 2009
    Let me just fine tune them some more.

For that one thing you really must add is more zombies. seriously. The only reason level one took longer than 2 minuets was because I had to find the zombies.
    To make it longer have objectives. Like bring this package to the extraction point. But for some reason the helicopter that was supposed to get the package couldnt make it and then you have to backtrack a bit and then go off to another part of the level.
    Things like that. Killing a set number of zombies always ends up the same.
    Also you may want to check out deadstrike. They had zombies jump out of buildings and swarm you at certain points in a level. The strain of multiple zombies on the idevice was also handled well by deadstrike. It felt like I killed say 5 or 6 zombies that were running at me then more would come in twos and threes. That way too many zombies werent on screen. Also by having limited visiibilty you cant see the zombies spawn which makes life a lot easier for the dev. since you dont need to make them walking out of houses constantly.

Adding OF or plus or agon would be a huge plus. Make the first level simply an arena for killing zombies. Make it like survival mode on the first map or something (seperate from campaign). Then have achievement for killing 300 zombies or w/e