Game credits screen question

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Appvism, Mar 29, 2013.

1. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Hi all,

Quick question when you create a credits screen for your game or app... When you use free assets in your game or app, do you automatically credit them? This is ok when the creator or designer requests this, thats fine. But what about, for example, free fonts on google web fonts - would you still add this to your credits screen?

Also, what would you do if you want to use some free graphics - the user license says its free to use on commercial projects - and as a heads up, drop the designer an email to confirm this but they don't reply back? In this case, would you still go ahead and use the assets and add a credit to them?

Stupid questions i know, just wanted to know what would you guys do!

Cheers,

2. Black Ops

Black Ops Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2011
    Game Dev, SEM, Analytics
    Philadelphia, Pa
    I would say that it is good karma if you drop a credit in there for them.
    We plan on adding all the beta testers and translators to our credits. It costs nothing, it lets people know you appreciated their contribution.

If you do run into a spat over commercial use, you can point to it and say you made a mistake interpreting the clause but you did have good intentions and were not claiming authorship.

just my 2 cents. good luck with your game

3. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Thanks for the reply! I guess I was more questioning the font issue - if you are using a unique/uncommon font (even if its just a free font from Google Web Fonts), do you still add this to the credits?

Also good for you regarding crediting beta testers and translators!

4. I add all free assets contributors to credits, doesn't cost anything and it's just common courtesy.