Complaints about 'Gears of War' coming to iOS?!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 4, 2010.

1. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars

So what you're saying is that:

1. Even though you don't have a DS, you are certain that the games are more in depth than the iphone. You must have come to that conclusion by your expertise and experience using these devices. (I've never driven a Ferrari but I know for a fact that it's better than a Lambo) Really really intelligent.

2. You like to compare last years ipod to the 3DS which won't be out until next year. Making comparisons on games not even out yet.

3. You named 5 PSP titles. Try and name some more that are worth $40 compared to iphone games at $10.

Again, why don't you take that stylus (the one you don't even own) and place it where the sun doesn't shine.

2. Froggyboby

Froggyboby Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2009
    Missouri
    I don't agree with people who say if they did make gears of war it'd have to be twenty dollars, first of all you can pick up the xbox version for at less then twenty dollars. Plus epic wouldn't have to remake the game all they have to do is port it so all of the artwork sounds and levels are already their the only thing they'd need to develop is optimize it and lower resolutions and rework the controls.

3. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    One of the top selling RPGs in the app store is $12.99 ($15.99 for the iPAD). People will spend more than the usual amount for a game if it's worth the price tag. If Morrowind was ported to iOS today for $19.99, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

But who ever said it would have to be an iOS exclusive? If they build the game for Xbox and PS3, it wouldn't cost too much for them to strip down the textures and models a bit for an iOS port. They wouldn't have to make the game from scratch. A lot of developers are already doing this, and earning a lot of extra cash in the process.

And that's fine with me. Cool beans.

And later this year, we're going to have this action-RPG...

[​IMG]

We have a lot to celebrate!

They're describing it as an action-RPG

4. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I don't understand the opinion that a 19.99 game wouldn't make it in the AppStore. Currently, there's not a single game for iOS that uses the hardware to it's full potential. For those games, plenty gamers would pay 19.99 IMO.

5. weehoo

weehoo Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    the stars
    Nobody said that. There are plenty of gamers willing to pay $120 for Cod Black ops, but the majority probably won't. If I'm starving, I would pay that for a MCdonald's happy meal. That doesn't mean that I should. Apple could sell there computers for much more. Thank God they have the leading trends researchers on the payroll, or they might be following your example of pricing. Developers know that selling stuff cheaper makes more money. Duhhhhhhhh! (walmart anyone).

There are costs involved in making a physical game. The app-store doesn't do that. Keep in mind that you should thank Steve Jobs for low price points, and nobody should complain about that.

ex: Steve told the music industry when itunes FIRST started, "it's $0.99 per song or nothing. You can't charge more." Just a year ago, some apps/games were selling for $300, just to see if anyone would bite. Apple stopped the scams. Stop telling people what you would pay for an app or what others are willing to pay.

I'm sure that their sales data is much more useful than your opinion.

6. 270Kp

270Kp Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Beta-Tester
    USA
    20 bucks? Yikes! But I guess it would be worth it for Gears of War.

7. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    FFS Troll elsewhere. I was talking to the grown-ups.

8. Osujxu

Osujxu Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    when they say their bringing gears of war their not bringin like the entire console game. only enough of it to warrant a 9.99 price tag

9. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

They're not bringing the goddamned game! He was using the game as an example of what could be possible technically. Jesus, people read too much into these things.

10. ScottColbert

Your ignorance is astounding.

11. ScottColbert

And what's there to celebrate if the gameplay is crap? Not everyone gets entranced by shiny things.

12. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Why the negativity for a game that hasn't even been released? The gameplay could be crap. Or it could be amazing. Neither of us know, so what's the point of assuming either way? As of now, I only know the facts: An action-RPG by one of my favorite developers is coming out for iOS. That alone is enough to spark excitement.

13. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    The current 3rd gen hardware is pretty powerful.

The biggest problem on the App Store is that most developers don't know how to get the best out of it. Either down to lazy programming and lets get this game out as quickly as possible to see if we hit the big time or they don't have the skills to really push things.

Judging by the stuff I'm currently working on, it's miles ahead of anything on the App Store now. Lot's of effects that are actually pushing the hardware to the limits, lot's of objects on the screen with no slow down, and all in glorious 3D at an extremely high frame rate, running silky smooth.

And this is on the current hardware! When I decided to drop the older hardware, I made a choice and decided to see how far the 3rd gen hardware can be pushed. Quite some way, by the looks of it.

So in 2 years time the mind boggles on what will be possible.

14. Stirolak26

Stirolak26 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2010
    In two years time he will still have to make the game compatible with iphone 4 or the current ipad (just like project sword, the id rage game and everything else all pretty much plays on 3gs as well outside of the second ghosts and ghouls lol), thus if what he says is true he technically could pull it off now but it would be an iphone4 (possibly ipad) exclusive and run at so-so framerate. So why not just do it than?

15. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    heck Ive not seen one game that pushes the iphone 4 to the limits that isnt playable on say the 3gs.

16. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Are you even reading what you're writing

17. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
  18. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    Unless he means in two years it will only be possible on the latest hardware he hopes to be developed and used as iPhone (might not advance as fast as he thinks due to battery constraints and really no need) and not on anything past gen that hardware.

19. Stirolak26

Sep 19, 2010
    How bout this hypothesis. Graphics especially on a portable system (and the ds proved this with it's success of 2d games) dont matter much. Id rather have some of these companies use current idevice capabilities to create a much better 2d game like Kirby yarn that recently came out for the wii. All it takes is good skill, programming, and patience and something like that could be on the idevices instead of the wii. Or a super meat boy. Much more appealing games than gears of war on a handheld. Games that would actually work.

20. tsharpfilm

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    Very true. It takes a lot of code combing to optimize a game. And with all the competition, and everything in the app store going at such a frantic pace, a lot of developers aren't able to make time for tweaking.

But, from what hear, isn't Epic giving the Unreal Engine to iOS developers for free? If this is true, this should give highend gaming for us a very nice kick forward.

If it's as polished and fun as Jet Car Stunts, I'm sure it'll be another hit. Love that game.

A Gears of War type game is very possible.