Universal DARIUSBURST SP [by TAITO]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by strivemind, Feb 9, 2012.

1. TheStark

TheStark Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    I agree, Dari...Urst looks retarded.

2. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    So has anyone cleared mission mode yet? Does it give any bonus?

3. err404

err404 Active Member

Jul 21, 2010
    It runs pretty good on my iPhone4 and iPad1. However the frame rate does ocationally dip it bit on both. There is still some room for optimizations.
    Overall I am very pleased with it.
    iCade support would do wonders for the this game. I hope they add support in the future.

4. TheStark

TheStark Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2011
    Where can I get the track from the trailer (or first level in SP mode)? I found the Dariusburst OST, but this track is not included there. I'd buy it if I could. TAITO? :(

5. Fimb

Fimb Well-Known Member

May 12, 2010
  6. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Don't forget the Raiden series, especially RaidenIV. I'd also like to see Hellfire from Toaplan and Strania from XBLA.

7. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

I'm getting a bit fed up with it crashing during the "you beat the final zone" sequence, failing to record the score or register that I beat the final zone. iPad(1), not jailbroken, etc.

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    agreed... this has happened quite a few times on my 4th gen touch...

Dunno about my iPad 2, I haven't beaten the game on it yet... but it's VERY frustrating... almost to the point where I just want to delete the game from my iPod...

9. DusT_HounD

DusT_HounD Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2010
    @syntheticvoid:
    Hmm, too strange- i'm playing on 4th gen ipod touch, 8gig, iOS 5- haven't seen any crashes yet.

10. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    I've beaten it several times on iPad 2 and have had no crashes.

11. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    #111 syntheticvoid, Feb 11, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2012
    Yeah, only having crashes on my 4th gen touch when it asks me to put in my name at the end of the game...

I just did a run through on my iPad 2, and didn't have any problems... So I'll probably delete it from my iPod, and just hope for a fix before I put it back on... And keep playing on my iPad

But for those who don't have two devices... It could be a game breaking issue, not registering scores because of the crash...

I have a 4th gen touch -32 GB, iOS 5.0.1, NEVER jail broken... Always did a hard reset before playing, with a clear multitasking bar, and (if it matters), 17GB of free space...

12. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Dariusburst SP Visually Stuns with Fast-Paced Shooter

Shoot’em ups (shmups) are like cars…you’re always on the lookout for the next best one. Likely, that’s tied to our primal, competitive natures, but I digress. If you are looking for the latest and greatest, then look no further than Taito’s Dariusburst SP (Second Prologue), a visual extravaganza whose 3D graphics and rewarding gameplay will have your head spinning. Easily one of the best looking shmups for the iOS, Dariusburst SP is a fast moving, action-packed experience that only strengthens the platform’s viability in the gaming arena.

Dariusburst SP provides a good deal of content in different modes and includes a number of customizable options to make the experience even more engaging. The soundtrack is probably one of the better ones you’ll come across and has that decidedly pulse racing feel to it. A visual stunner, the frame rates are smooth, and you certainly get your money’s worth.

Regardless of whether you’re familiar with the Darius series, Dariusburst SP involves maneuvering and shooting through a crowded field of alien ships, battle cruisers, asteroids and mechanical sea creatures. The enemies are detailed and come in droves as you would expect in a bullet hell shooter.

There are 4 ships to choose from: Assault, Legend Zero (both unlocked to start), Next Zero and Origin (unlocked as modes are completed). The burst in the game’s name refers to the powerful laser burst each ship is capable of launching. With the exception of the Origin ship which doesn’t have a burst capability, each has different attributes in shot and power levels as well as the different type of burst beam. For example, the Legend Type Zero launches a continuous burst of energy that obliterates everything in its path. The Assault releases a powerful energy sphere that’s as destructive in its own right.

The game offers 3 modes: SP, Original and Mission. SP and Original modes are basically arcade modes where the objective is to complete a number of levels culminating in the boss fight. In these modes, a level system is in place similar to Taito’s Space Invaders Infinity Gene where players can choose specific levels and paths leading up to the boss battle. Referred to as zones, each of the modes consists of 5 total zones in order to complete the entire mission. Completing an entire mission in SP and Original modes unlocks Mission mode. Mission consists of 8 stages each of which are survival modes where a player is limited to one ship and life to complete each of the levels within each stage.

A basic tutorial is included, but for the most part, players will figure out the intricacies as they progress. In terms of options, players can choose among easy, normal and hard difficulty settings and set up the control layouts for fire, lock and burst buttons. Screen size and placement can also be tweaked as well. A continue count option is included that allows anywhere from zero to unlimited continues for levels at the point of destruction in SP and Original modes.

The touch controls in Dariusburst SP work well. Navigating a ship is done by dragging around the screen, and for what it’s worth, I had no issues with that kind of control set up. Unfortunately, that’s the only control scheme available. Having said that, the touch controls allow for a higher degree of precision in movement and navigation. The various fire, lock and burst buttons are responsive as well, and the fire button can be set to auto fire depending on the player’s preference.

The power ups in the game provide another layer of variety. As enemies are destroyed, colored orbs appear that can be collected to boost the power of the ship.

Red—boosts shot level
    Blue—boosts shield level
    Green—boosts bomb level
    Gold—destroys all enemies on screen
    Silver—awards bonus points
    1 Up—awards extra life

The gameplay is where Dariusburst SP sets its mark. There is plenty of eye candy from the enemies and backgrounds to the environments and explosions. The enemies can only be described as voluminous and unusual. The best part is how detailed they are. For example, one enemy ship resembling a hockey puck opens up to reveal twin cannons. The boss fights are significant because they take up the majority of the screen, each boss with their own strengths and weaknesses. The environments are varied and detailed. One level may take you inside the hull of a ship, while next involves zooming through a crowded asteroid field.

To say that there is a lot going on would be an understatement. What makes Dariusburst SP even better is the feeling of speed and depth. Often, what you have with bullet hell shooters is murky graphics and laggy movement. Not so with Dariusburst SP. Running on an iPad, I found the graphics ran smoothly with no lag whatsoever. The 3D animation really shines whether you’re looking at the bony metal plates of the bosses to the high-energy explosions of enemy ships. Enemies come from all directions and at any given time, a flurry of enemy fire covers the majority of the screen. Navigating through the environments is an added challenge because crashing into anything will cause damage.

On the Easy setting, the game is straightforwardly chaotic yet manageable. The boss fights tend to be one-sided in the player’s favor, but still require quick maneuvering. And, players will want to unlock Mission mode as soon as possible since this is where the game becomes engagingly difficult because of the survival mode set up. For an added challenge, select the Origin ship and see how far you get without the burst capability. In general, the AI is well balanced and should appeal to players of all experience levels.

To further add to the replay value, Dariusburst SP has an achievement system through GameCenter that covers everything from clearing levels and collecting items to destroying bosses and causing destruction with certain bursts.

With that said, the levels can feel a little short, but then again, there is a lot packed into those levels. As mentioned, the game doesn’t provide a d-pad which can be issue for some who prefer that control scheme. But, these are minor flaws that don’t take away from the overall experience.

Dariusburst SP is a shmup that not only takes advantage of the latest iOS devices, but really sets the bar in terms of providing a 3D high-energy, smooth playing experience. Graphics aside, the depth and fast-paced action by themselves should attract most if not everyone who enjoys this genre.

Albie Meter: 5 Stars (smooth 3D graphics and gameplay provide top-notch experience; pulse racing soundtrack creates the right mood; easy to use touch controls and intuitive upgrade system; feeling of speed with a variety of environments and enemies; GameCenter achievements; no d-pad)

13. syntheticvoid

Jun 20, 2010
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Would NOT call this a bullet hell game... But I completely agree with the rest... VERY nice review/writeup!

14. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    No worries...it's always a challenge to come up with the right words ;)

15. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    #115 GoofyJmaster., Feb 11, 2012
    *weeps*

Ugh, I want to buy this game so badly, but I can't get into horizontal shmups on the iPod.

After reading all the impressions and watching the videos, I'm really tempted to. Right now, I wish more than ever for a snap on controller (no, not iCP).

16. MARl0

MARl0 Member

Dec 31, 2011
    Is there no option to flip the screen? The game is unplayable on my iPhone, because my hand covers the speaker making the game play with basically zero audio. Extremely frustrating.

17. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    #117 EvilDucktator, Feb 11, 2012
    How does Original and SD mode differ? Different levels? A certain gameplay mechanic?

How long does a typical playthrough take? Are the 5 zones broken up into levels?

18. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Darius games (I think most of them work this way? I remember G-Darius did) work on a map that's set out a bit like a pyramid. The pyramid in DariusBurst SP has five levels, going from one zone (A) in the first level, to one (B) in the second level, then to a choice of two in the third level (C & D), then three (E, F & G) in the fourth and four (H, I, J & K) in the fifth. You'll always play five zones, but you might go A-B-D-F-I, or A-B-C-E-H, or some other route.

At least that's from a few tries on SP mode. The two modes seem to have slightly different graphics, enemy patterns, difficulty levels and music, but I've only just briefly tried Original so I don't know if it has the same map.

19. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    #119 flameon, Feb 11, 2012
    Can a mod delete this post?

20. flameon

flameon Well-Known Member

Jul 26, 2011
    Hows replayability on this? I might get it.