Paid Focus Group of Mobile Devs (who have apps with In-App Purchases) Needed

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dolver, Jan 5, 2016.

1. dolver

dolver Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Ok, first, let's start with why I'm here. I recently joined a startup whose mission is to align the goals of mobile game developers with social good.

We have found that having social good tied to in-app purchases increases conversion rate of free players to paid customers. So, for instance, if a player knows that a portion of their in-app purchase will go to help small businesses in Africa, they are more likely to purchase. They are more likely to share the game via social media. And they are just as likely to make repeat purchases (whether or not those subsequent purchases are "social good" purchases).

We have developed a whole SDK for developers to plug into games and handle the deployment of capital to these social good endeavors.

Ok - now for an explanation of what we need:

Game developers who

1. have a game live in the app store (iOS or Android is fine)
    2. have in-app purchases in that game
    3. are willing to integrate our SDK (at least for a short period of time to test it out)
    4. are willing to chat with us about the product and what we can do to make the whole integration experience as awesome as possible.

As we are a startup, we don't have infinite funds, but we can offer $100 to each developer (limited slots available) and the knowledge that you are helping out a company whose mission is to help the world.
    Message me if you are interested!

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Out of curiosity

-do you have a unity plugin
    -How does this differ from the developer just saying I will donate 10% to charity (because I assume doing it yourself rather than using your SDK will always result in a better outcome for the social good)
    -what if they make no sales, will you still pay?

3. dolver

dolver Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Hey - to answer your questions:

- Yep! We have an sdk for iOS, Android, and Unity as well.

- There are a number of differences. Our SDK handles the messaging to the customer. Conversions won't go up unless the customer knows/believes the messaging. To that end, we lend credibility to that as well. Also, we handle all the routing on the back end so the developer doesn't have to remember to deploy money and research social good every month.

- Yes - we will pay regardless. This is mostly about testing the integration process and how everything works. It can be a low-volume app.

Thanks so much for your response and let me know if you have any other questions.

4. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    What are the percentages involved?

5. dolver

dolver Member

Jan 5, 2016
    It's 30% of all purchases with the social good messaging (you can choose to use the messaging on certain purchases, or only at certain times, etc).

6. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    And what percentage of that actually goes to social good?

7. dolver

dolver Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Half of that goes to our operating costs currently and half goes to social good.

Ideally, as we grow, we are going to increase the percentage that goes to social good.

But again, right now, we are focused on making the product as excellent as possible for developers.

8. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    The problem with that is that the most efficient charities spend 25% on admin/fundraising so this means even if you identify great charities at best 37.5% is reaching the cause, in reality this could be even lower.

9. dolver

dolver Member

Jan 5, 2016
    Sorry for the confusion. These actually go directly to microloans through our partners, so these aren't filtered through charities that take a portion. The whole idea is for profit social good. Developers should do this because it helps people, but also because it helps their business.

Small businesses in developing countries don't have access to capital the way that we do here in the USA. We take things like business loans, investments, etc for granted, but not everyone has access to capital in that way. Access to capital is a huge, required component for small businesses to grow and flourish and for the economy in these developing countries to do the same. It's the biggest reason why there is such disparity between different country's economies.

So, this isn't about charity. It's about a new way of thinking about what companies can do. Companies CAN align their business goals with social good for the world. We want to do this, but we also want to see other companies pop up that have the same for profit, for social good framework, if that makes sense.

10. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    I don't think supporting your business is likely to result in more inapp purchases with that model.

Best of luck get the loans part off the ground and making it sustainable.