Save Game Data Issues

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Champagne01, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Champagne01

Champagne01 Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Hi all,

It seems that everytime I delete a game from my iPhone the game's save data is all lost. I just tested this with Fieldrunners by unchecking the box when syncing with iTunes, then rechecking it. All my progress was reset;;;:eek:

Is this normal? If so does anyone know of any method of deleting apps from the phone while keeping save game data? (non-jailbroken) -

Thanks!

2. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    yes this is normal

3. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    #3 markx2, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
    And this is precisely why I do not see the idevice as being any competition to any other handheld gaming machine. Think I want to play for hours and be forced to keep the app to keep the save? That's just plain ridiculous.

Apple could fix this - they choose not to.

4. Solid Snake Man

Solid Snake Man Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    EMT/Instrumentalist
    Sacramento, CA
    This is the one thing I absolutely hate about the iPhone gaming. They need to figure out a way to make save files either stick when moving on and off, or have them as separate files you can save onto your computer then throw back on whenever you want the game back on you phone. I really really hope they get to this problem...

5. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    that's one reason I have 20 pages of games on my iphone...I don't want to lose all that saved game data

6. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    this thread needs to be post in : General Game Discussion and Questions

7. Champagne01

Sep 8, 2009
    Thanks for the replies... That really does suck eh;; Guess I'll just have to keep *all* games on the device until Apple patch this!?

@KillyBilly - can I move the thread to the section you mentioned?

Thanks again,

8. New England Gamer

New England Gamer Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2009
    First of all welcome to the forum. Secondly, it will be a long wait I believe as this has been the case since the first iTouch. Since we are up to OS 3.0 and no mention of this in sight, seems like its not an important issue for Apple. Though tomorrow IS 09/09/09 and who knows WHAT the announcements might be!!!!!

And yeah it looks funny to see this topic in new releases.

9. Zwilnik

Zwilnik Well-Known Member

Adding Plus+ to Flick Fishing solved this for us. Your save game is now saved to your Plus+ account online too so if anything happens it will recover from there. The plan is to add this to all our games as we update.

10. MunkieSuthorn

MunkieSuthorn Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    IT Manager
    Connecticut, USA
    Right, one of the features that some of the newer games are adopting is savings your progress on their servers. While this is not an optimum solution, at least it is a step in the right direction.

I believe Apple's thought on iPhone development of apps is that no application should leave a trace upon removal. They can get creative and create some type of save area, but I see this as going against their philosophy.

Munkie!

11. markx2

markx2 Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    This is Apple saying "There, there, we know best, you don't want this, trust us..you don't need a complicated life and remember, you don't own this stuff. We do."

And that is why the idevice is not a games machine to be taken seriously.

12. Champagne01

Sep 8, 2009
    Right - so Plus+ etc. will keep data for games with online servers - I guess that's a good start! It does seem strange that this has been an unaddressed issue for so long.

Any ideas how I can move this thread? Agree it's odd in 'new releases'!:confused:

Thanks,

13. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I actually think that Apple might change this soon. The idea was originally sound -- keep a device with limited amount of memory uncluttered, keep backups and restores fast and dependable by covering only active apps on the device (instead of having the OS sort out what goes with what). That system works with most productivity and entertainment apps, and it's actually not terrible with most casual games (do you really need to save your local achievements in Doodle Jump?). As we all know, it's simply a disaster with console-style games, the kind of games Apple will be pushing with the introduction of the next gen iPod Touch. I wouldn't be altogether surprised if the iPhone 3.1 update introduces a "permanent save" feature. Not that I'm holding my breath, mind you, but I would find it odd if the Apple didn't realize that there're a serious problem with the current setup.

14. h1976

h1976 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Im not at that point yet, but I believe people made a valid point.
    A savegame archival feature would be great.

I fully agree with Apples decree that all apps shall not leave behind any leftover crap... those craps are the very things that made windows, well... crappy.

But the savegames are stored in a simple folder in a single file, if you jailbreak your machine you can copy these files for archival purposes, and later put them back if you need to restore your savegames.
    A simple itunes feature where they fish out these files and put it beside your apps in itunes would be great.

Another thing would be a cloud backup thing. NGMoco implemented it with plus.
    Actually this could be an option.
    I have a little kid that love to play racing games, real racing, NFS, etc.
    Sometimes I wished that my savegames would fly into these clouds and later on when I sync my kids ipod touch with the cloud, the cars or stages I unlocked would pop in his ipod touch also, instead of having to play it all over again.

Im kinda hoping for the second actually

15. killy billy

killy billy Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2009
    planet iphone/ipad
    you have to ask a mod to move it

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    They don't need to create a save area on the iPhone, just give us the option to export save data to PC/Mac, then the apps still won't leave a trace on the device when deleted but we'll have backups.

17. Champagne01

Sep 8, 2009
    Agreed - I had always assumed that the apps had save game data stored with the applications locally in iTunes...

On another note it was mentioned that the folders were accessible from a jailbroken iPhone - would software such as Phoneview work in letting you gain access to the save game files?

Thanks,

18. jmmsmth

jmmsmth Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2009
    so i can only access the save folders if i have a jailbroken iPhone :( well that sucks because i dont, and dont plan on doing that

edit: sorry nvm, saw it now

19. TonreG

TonreG Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2009
    make a backup of your content of your iphone before you delete one game. ;)

20. Champagne01

Sep 8, 2009
    @jmmsmth - yep sorry am trying to get a mod to move the thread...

Phoneview is actually for non-jailbroken phones, I too wouldn't plan on jailbreaking the phone... of course phoneview costs money and it's probably risky to start fiddling with files anyhow.

Thanks