Japanese and Western Games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Happylemon, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Happylemon

Happylemon Member

Oct 18, 2012
    What do you prefer Japanese Games or Western Games?

2. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #2 violentv, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    I prefer....fun games >.>
    It would be better do a breakdown of the aspects that people normally associated with Western or Japanese games...since the stereotypes don't hold true for a large chunk of them.

The lines are steadily becoming blurred though..story & character driven JRPGs vs Open world western RPGs? pfft..there are games like Xenoblade Chronicles with a game world larger in mass than Amalur or Skyrim...and games like Mass Effect where the story is much much more than the perfunctory ones we generally associate with western RPGs/games.

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Yep i just love playable games, i dont care whether its western or japanese.

I do love RPG's but i cant stand any game which features some 'young' character and all the girls are in skimpy bikini type costumes, i find that very strange indeed and a bit uncomfortable personally.

There are lots of western/japanese games i like, any japanese game which features poor translation (and in todays world with the internet - translation companies a plenty that shouldnt happen) i avoid.

4. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    I'm starting to really enjoy Games that originated in Japan.. Kairosoft is probably my favourite iOS developer, and com2us too. Classic pixel art, I love their art style. Tiny farm, magic tree, chocolate tycoon are all works of art. I love the Japanese theme, though I guess not all Japan themed games were developed in Japan, games like cooking mama, Japan life, monsters ate my condo all appeal to me immensely.

5. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    I am a fan of games I like... Sometimes I like Western developed games, other times I like Japanese and Korean developed games. I will say though that grew up in the C64 and Atari 2600 era, and while love some of e old Japanese developed games, I have moved away from them as I started to PC game as I find Western and European developers more to my liking, but that is not to say I don't care for Japanese developed games.

At the end of the day it is all about personal appeal. I lived in Japan for six and a half years, learned two dialects of the language and embraced the culture... I just find a lot of their game offerings unappealing to me. Specifically, where I once played JRPGs in abundance in my youth and even early adulthood, now I can't be bothered to play one and lose interest almost instantly. The same goes for most games in other genres as well. To me, I find a lot of elements, interactions and characteristics unrelatable; not that I don't understand them, but rather I do and they just plain irk me. I like characters, but I find a lot of Japanese developed games filled with caricatures...

I can enjoy Kairosoft games and some KRPGs, but.i tend to dislike most of the Japanese offerings, on the App Store and elsewhere in general.

6. klarence

klarence Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    com2us is actually a korean group.
    I personally can't enjoy kairosoft at all, but I do like japanese games.
    the problem is I feel they are retrogress and being poor efficient.
    for western games, I can actually feel they are getting better and better.
    korean games, especially for IOS, they do know how to make great games and they can make quality games within a short time, but the problem is they just don't do that. instead of making 1-10 dollar quality games, they choose to make crappy freemium games.
    same story for Taomee, their mario kart copy is really not bad, why can't they develop a full premium game with their heart.

7. milk

milk New Member

Jul 18, 2012
    Indeed. I am wondering why poor translations are featured when you can have translation done by professionals and especially native speakers.
    Although professional transaltion is not a cheap thing, mobile apps are usually small in word counts, so the investment is bearable even by indie devs, when they see potential to spread successfull app. In the end it is simply worth it