iPad Crimson Gem Saga: Atlus/IRONNOS JRPG

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by squarezero, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    I'm just waiting to hear framerate and control reports before I hit the buy button.

2. Liberty Wings

Liberty Wings Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Secret of Mana is coming out? really?

Awsome!

3. dhgamer

dhgamer Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    New York
    740 meg install... really, really wish Apple sold 64 gig iphones.

4. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
  5. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    The psp title was a fun buy. If it runs well this would be one of the better rpgs on the app store. Even at $10.

6. morepewpew

morepewpew Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Anyone care to share some impressions, even based on the PSP version?
    I would throw away $.99 on any game any day, but not $10...

7. araczynski

araczynski Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    programmer
    omaha, ne
    probably with iphone4v2, they have to get people to rebuy these things over and over again somehow.... personally i think they need to jump to 128gb at least, these limitations are getting old, can't have all my music and all my games on the same devices, so i don't have any music on my ipad or my itouch.

ditto, not even $10 if it was on the ipad. throwing it on the want pile.

8. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    care to throw $.99 a day my way for the next 30 years? it would be appreciated ;)

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Here's the IGN review.

i'll have early impressions in about an hour.

10. mwhite67

mwhite67 Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    I played this on PSP and thought it was great. Definitely one of my favorite original RPGs to come out on PSP. Highly recommend the iphone version if its just like the original.

11. morepewpew

morepewpew Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Let me rephrase... :p

I would throw away $.99 on any game any day once, but not $10...

12. beldandy561

beldandy561 Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2008
    The game as a whole and as a conversion

OK, So it has been a really long time since I have posted any thoughts on any apps but this caught my attention and I could not pass up giving initial impressions.

Pros:
    - all the animations and charm of the PSP version seem to be intact. comparing this to any other APP store RPG I would say it is on line with Final fantasy I (psp) remake, as far as the kind of budget (vibe) this title gives off. It does not feel like a cell phone port by any standards, Is well animated (similar to Albert Odysee for the Sega Saturn, Guardian Heroes for Saturn, or Popolocroise for PSP or PS1) and gives you that full console/portable (ds, PSP) feel in both artisitc quality, general length, Music & care with witch it has been developed.

- The voice acting (which you don't get much of in rpg apps, or at least none that come to mind) is quite good and only adds flavor and charm to the artistic world that has been put before you.

- Controls are for the most part very well designed and implemented from the PSP to ipod/ipad transition. You are able to choose if you want to have a static arrow key or if you want it to show up centered anyware you touch on the screen. I chose the latter. the layout of the menu's has been simplified yet expanded upon if that makes sense.... They have been given nicely sized elongated ovel shaped bubbles listing your choices from sub menu organization to question responces. I did not feel that they were out of place or intrusive based on the original content in any way. I definitly think they work better than the layout that is in the FF1 remake. Much more responsive. The main screen has only a couple of icons to work with (again simplified). You have your Menu icon in the top left corner of your screen out of the way. Your curser only appears when you move your character and it is very transparent and non-distracting. You have a singel "A" button near the bottom right half of the screen for character interactions, and a small "Map" button in the top right corner for what looks like a chalk drawn map with a blue square (indicating you) showing the current environment layout. When you go into the sub menu's this is where they put most of the Non-essential icons that are spaced out to branch you off into whichever catagory you wish to look at. "Stats" "Items" "Euiping" ... Etc.

Cons:
    - First issue that clearly comes to mind is how you can notice the seperations between the sprites and their environment. Heavily animated items in the game, (characters, plants, fountains, etc. have these ever so slightly transparent edges to them that kind of show that they were placed over top the background. This is not as noticable when playing this on the Ipod touch but becomes very noticable on the Ipad. Kind of like a GIF's edges that never got completely blended in to the background to better make them part of the environment. The fountain in the second part of the first town on your way to Graduation is a prime example of this. You will also notice that once you leave town the forests seem to have tree tops that don't quite line up and have a darker line throught the middle of them like a poor cutting and pasting job. Minor complaints but defenetly noticable.

- I would like to have had the option of using the arrowkey controls during battles instead of the touch features that they implimented in this setup. Not terrible by any means but too much like the FF1, tap yourself or attack icon, then tap your enemy you want to attack, blah blah blah.. it is not a smooth transition from using the arrowkey during exploring to this during battle.

Conclusion:
    If you like Jrpg's and have not played this title on the PSP You really owe it to yourself to purchase this title. (Yes even at $10), Very enjoyable even with the minor artistic hickups.

13. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I have ZERO issues with paying a higher price for a game, condition being that game should be very very, fluid, polished, grabs your attention, is fun, not tiedious. The game that comes to mind, for me, is Spice miner. I'm not sure if anyone will agree with me, but the physics of that game felt so good. I great touch is the kinetic line being weaker in terms of damage, but would make it feel like you were punching the rocks or npcs.

If a game is of high quality I have no issues with spending my money. I like two or three games a year that really really grab you and consume days of your extra free time, and when done properly satisfied. Most other games are fillers to three very few gems we get each year.

Peace

14. FlyinWhee

FlyinWhee Member

May 11, 2009
    Game Impressions

Well, here see my first impressions.

The game itself, is of insanely high quality, top notch pixel arts, good translation, good voice acting (by JRPG standards), and good game mechanics. Really, nothing but kudos for delivering the best JRPG experience I've played this far on iOS. Here comes the "but"...

The port itself, from the PSP version, is downright horrible. The controls range from bad to "what were they thinking!?". For example, in the shop interface, you are kind of supposed to swipe to scroll the list, but it tries to emulate a simple key press, which means no matter how you scroll, it will only scroll one line, but the list itself will jerk oddly. And to add quantities to the item you've selected, I Havent figured it out yet, I slide my finger along the item and sometimes the quantity goes up, then I double tap on the item again and it asks me to confirm the selection.

The battle interface works much better though, except you need to do quick swipes to scroll through your options, anything else will produce very random results.

On to the next issue, graphic glitches. Best way to describe the issue, it feels like the early days of PSX emulation, where 2d objects would look off. It's exactly like that, when playing on the iPad, it's plainly obvious; you can clearly see the square of most sprites and interface item, like the transparency isn't quite... Transparent. It's the infamous 2d texture transparency issue you get when you have video driver problems. Bottom line; horrible and unacceptable in a $10 piece of software.

And personally, the most annoying glitch: a lot of cutscenes have voiceovers, good voiceovers. Except, when there's more than one "screen" of dialogue from a character, you'll only hear the LAST screen of text being played out, while it's showing you the first one... It's distracting and it never stops being annoying, trust me. They really need to patch that and FAST.

And yet, the core game is such a fun, high quality JRPG, that all the glitches are not gonna stop me from playing, but I hope to god they patch a few of those issues fast, else I'm sure as he'll not going to buy another game from this publisher.

My advice: wait, and if they don't update anything, pass.

15. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    How's the framerate on older devices? (I have iPhone 3G)

16. Sprite Cola

Sprite Cola Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2010
    Walnut, CA
    Very thorough review; I'll listen to you and wait :D

17. bLiNdSiDe

bLiNdSiDe Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2009
    Firefighter (Sergeant) / EMT
    Covington, GA
    So did this publisher gain the rights to sell this from atlus or is this gonna be pulled?

18. Rain1dog

Rain1dog Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2010
    I was sold after that review, very well done. So it seems from reading the core issues are of graphics, annoyances touching small fields adding quanties.... But otherwise very enjoyable.

19. Maythius

Maythius Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2008
    they gained the rights. The game was only localized by Atlus, but the game was made by a Korean company, and Nate games is a major cellphone game distributor in Korea. They probably ported the game.

20. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    Are the translation don't by a different studio, or the same ones from Atlus for psp?