Towelfight 2 : The Monocle of Destiny

Discussion in 'Android Games' started by bscotchshenani, Feb 28, 2013.

1. bscotchshenani

bscotchshenani Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2013
    #1 bscotchshenani, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
    Hey guys!

We actually released our dualthumbstick face-shooter Towelfight 2 for both iOS and Android simultaneously, so it's up and ready to be thumbed to death over on the

google play store

You can check out the trailer below, and we've already had some good discussions over on the iOS thread if you want to see what's been said.

We've got another big content patch in the works that adds some more fun stuff to the game and also lets you swap the dual-thumbsticks to the bottom of the screen, as some people have requested.

The game is on sale right now at $.99, but will bump back to its normal price of $2.99 after tomorrow, so get it while it's hot!

We've been nominated by PocketGamer for Game of the Week, so if you like it it'd be amazing if you could pop over and give us a vote. EA's IAP-Happy Real Racing MUST DIE.

2. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    I agree die RR just die lol

3. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I bought this game for Android and happily gave you a five star review on Google Play. This game is familiar yet original and I love upgrading my character. I wish the devs all the best! Now I've gotta go clear some more rooms :)

4. josue85

josue85 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 28, 2013
    Great job on the android version. I have a galaxy Note 2, and the game runs *wonderfully*. Really enjoying it, and I heartily recommend it.

5. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    Thanks a bunch guys. If you have any feedback feel free to slap it in here. We're working on the first fatty content patch and trying to hit the biggest gripes so we can make it more awesome.

6. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Controls

My biggest gripe is the controls. As long as I keep my fingers on the screen they are fine. However when I lift my fingers for a sec then put them back down the controls sort of "stick" a little. I've adjusted to the controls by keeping my fingers on the screen, but it isn't really comfortable.

Other than that, the game is ridiculously fun!

7. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    Yo! Seth here (The programmer guy).

We're getting lots of comments on the controls -- in fact, that seems to be the only major problem we have. We're scratching our heads trying to figure out what exactly it is, since everyone seems to describe the issue differently.

For starters, we're working on a patch where you can swap the base location of the Dpads to the bottom corners of the screen instead of the middle. Although we chose to put them in the middle because that's a more medically safe position to have your thumbs in (it's bad to have them curled up in the corners for a long time), people are just used to having them in the corners, so it feels weird to have them anywhere else. Plus on a bigger device it's a bit awkward having them in the middle anyways.

What if we had an option where you could make the Dpads "stick" to wherever you put them, and they would persist there for a few seconds after you release your thumb? That way you can release your thumb for a bit and then place it back down within a few seconds, and you don't have to hold it there forever to keep the dpads where you want them.

We're in a bit of bind when it comes to movable Dpads, because we also have a bunch of other GUI elements that you can tap, and it'd be bad if you dropped your Dpad onto one of those and then attempted to walk again.

8. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    It sounds stupid, but controller support would be awesome.

9. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    Oh do we have surprises for you ;)

10. KingpinZero

KingpinZero Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Thats just so awesome. Thanks guys :)

11. josue85

Patreon Bronze

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm glad to hear there will be an option to have the d-pad lower. I think you made a good choice in having them more towards the middle, but I play using the galaxy Note 2, which has a 5.5 inch screen, so it's a bit of a stretch to get my thumb up there :) I'm sure tablet users are finding the same issue.

12. Essex

Essex Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    #12 Essex, Mar 3, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    Enemy Respawn?

Would it be possible to allow enemies to respawn randomly in cleared rooms? Maybe like 1 out of every 10 or 15 cleared rooms? Just to spice things up a bit :)

13. ButterscotchSeth

ButterscotchSeth Active Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 28, 2013
    EXCELLENT IDEA. Doing it now. :)

14. ButterscotchSeth

ButterscotchSeth Active Member
    Patreon Indie

Feb 28, 2013
    v1.1 Patch Notes

Sup Android people! We've got some (tentative) patch notes for ya.

http://www.butterscotch-shenanigans.com/2013/03/towelfight-2-patch-11-notes.html

Target release dates:
    Android: Monday, March 4th
    iOS: Submission to Apple Monday, March 4th. Expected approval by march 15th.

Patch 1.1 Notes

Bug Fixes
    • Patched a memory leak that was sometimes causing games to slow down and ultimately crash until rebooted.
    • After the game is beaten, you should now still get to talk with the dudes at your home base.
    • Hardik no longer gets stuck on dungeon doors when entering rooms from the side or top.
    • A few players were experiencing game crashes upon loading their saves. This should be fixed (in most cases). If you experienced this bug and it is not fixed, contact us and we’ll get it working!
    Controls
    • Game controller support has been added. Not all game controllers are supported (yet), but most major controllers are.
    • An option has been added to the in-game menu to set the D-pads to the middle or bottom of the screen.
    • An option has been added to the in-game menu to change the D-pads from “floating” to “fixed” position.
    • The default setting for the D-pads is 8-way movement, fixed position, settled in the bottom corners of the screen.
    Three New ‘Jectiles
    • We have added one new 'Jectile to the Marsh, Forest, and Nightmare each. These 'Jectiles and their augments cannot be purchased in the store, and they will only appear after the last boss in their relative zones have been defeated.
    Tim the Magician
    • A new NPC who you can find anywhere in the world. He will come to your home base and will cast powerful 5-minute enchantments on you! For a price...
    Balance
    • Enemies will sometimes (about 1/8 times) respawn in already-cleared rooms.
    • The Twitbird’s hashtag deuce now bounces toward the center of the room slightly. This should prevent you from having ineffective hashtag deuces uselessly exploding outside the walls.
    • The turtle shell now lasts a variable amount of time, based on your current shoot speed.
    GameCenter (iOS)
    • All arena challenges now have associated GameCenter leaderboards.
    • We also have a new leaderboard on GameCenter for game completion speed. The time for this leaderboard starts ticking when you first create your new game, and ends when you defeat Forn.
    Arena
    • Slightly reduced the number of enemies in the arena at a given time. This should allow the arena to run more smoothly on lower-end devices.
    • The number of arena “fixed enemy” challenges has been reduced to 5, and the rewards from the arena have been reduced to be not quite so absurd (although still substantial).
    • Every 100 enemies you defeat in the arena, you take an extra half-heart of damage per injury. This caps out at 2 hearts per injury. A message will appear on screen each time the difficulty is increased.
    • New challenge mode: Endless Arena -- See how many enemies you can defeat before you get utterly destroyed and humiliated! It’s free to enter, and enemies drop the normal amount of coins. You do not lose coins upon death in the Endless Arena.
    GUI Updates
    • Full revamp of in-game menu
    • Hardik’s face and the reticle have been made a bit bigger on the Dpads, and the Dpads themselves have been scaled up slightly.

15. Snowej

Snowej Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2009
    I was very excited to try the game after hearing about it. Binding of Isaac with an interesting revolver style shooting mechanic? Sign me up.

And apart for the controls (I appreciate that it may be safer to have the controls in the middle, but it just wasn't working for me), I'm having a blast.

I'm wondering how the applied 'trinkets' work. Are they passive or must they be activated?

Congrats on such a fine game. I've wanted something like this for the longest time. Love the dialogue too. It's at least interesting and fun to read, rather than a boring generic wall of text. Not to mention a pet pug to play fetch with... it's genius, frankly.

16. josue85

Patreon Bronze

Feb 28, 2013
    Congrats on the patch, I can't wait!. I'll be refreshing the market until I see it :)

17. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    HEY.

GUYS. AND GALS.

The Towelfight 2 1.1 Patch has been submitted to google play and should be live in a few hours.

Read up on the changes here.

And if you haven't gotten it already GO OVER HERE AND DO IT WOOO!

18. Fleabag323

Fleabag323 Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    Have you considered an OUYA port? That would also mean everyone playing it is using a controller so there would be fewer complaints.

19. josue85

Patreon Bronze

Feb 28, 2013
    The new patch is fantastic. Having the controls in the corners makes playing a much easier proposition on a Galaxy Note 2. I almost missed my train stop this morning because I was so engrossed by the game. Great job, guys!

20. bscotchshenani

Feb 26, 2013
    OH YES.

Right now we're working on Gamestick support, which should be done by the end of the day.

We need to get our hands on an Ouya, but Seth already has TF2 gamepad ready. I played it on an xbox controller yesterday (tied to my computer) and it feels so dreamy.

SO. DREAMY.

Thank you! Glad to see the controls issue has been quelled. I'm a Bottom, 8 way, Fixed person myself.