New to adventure games... what should I start with?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kiranb28, Jul 7, 2010.

1. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Broken Sword: DC - 4.99?
    Monkey Island - 7.99?

Or any other recommendations?

I've never played an adventure game before, really... what would you recommend?

2. dxfan101010

dxfan101010 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
  3. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    I really recommend Beneath a Steel Sky, I think that's the best one in the store so far.

4. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Hector: Badge of Carnage.

5. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
  6. Zoet

Zoet Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Newcastle, Australia
    I am new to adventure games too, but I have played both 1112 episode 1 and Hector. I found 1112 really quite obscure in its puzzles and I had to resort to walkthroughs a couple of times. I finished Hector un-assisted. Best of all, Hector is really, really funny.

7. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Monkey Island
    Monkey Island 2
    Hector: Badge of Carnage
    Beneath a Steel Sky

Hector has very British (perfect for me) I mention this because the humour sometimes references very UK centric things.

These are all of the highest quality and you shouldn't be disappointed.

8. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Definitely Hector.

9. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    #9 Isilel, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
    I'd go like this:

1. The Broken Sword - it is gorgeous, funny, excellently written and voiced, has logical puzzles and great controls.
    2. Secret of Monkey Island (IMHO, there is going to be a price-drop soon, too, to promote the second game)
    3. Beneath a Steel Sky.

I didn't like 1112, BTW. It has nice presentation, but the puzzles are very obscure and lack-lustre and require a lot of pixel-hunting. And there are tons of hot-spots with just some smartass text to confuse you. I finished the above games without resorting to hints - I had to consult the walkthrough on several occasions with 1112 and didn't even finish it yet.

10. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    MI has the best hint system for beginners.

11. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    To be fair, all of the ones I listed have it ;).

12. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

I actually did manage to pick up 1112 (Part 1) when it went free for a day; tried it out and got confused during the first puzzle (doh) and had to resort to a walkthrough. Hah... needless to say, I haven't played the game again yet :/

I entered a Hector promocode giveaway and the winners should be announced soon; hope to win but if I don't, I might wait for a price drop before picking it up due to unanimous praise you guys have been giving it.

I'm interested in Beneath a Steel Sky based on screenshots i've seen; is it noob-friendly, and would it be a good game for me to start out with?

Monkey Island has been my primary choice but again, seems a bit steep for 7.99. In comparison, how's Broken Sword? Should I get this instead of MI?

13. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I think you'll do well with Broken Sword. Great controls, friendly enough for new comers to the genre and a story engaging enough to keep you playing till the end.

14. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    ALL the mentioned Adventures are def. WORTH the price they have now.
    And that includs the correlation to the fun they offer.

There are also the classics "Simon the Sorcerer" Series and "Inherit the Earth" advantures.
    Tough there is some ambiguity about the stability of these apps. But for $2 they are quite cheaper also.

15. highlyrefinedpirate

highlyrefinedpirate Well-Known Member

Dec 25, 2009
    I've never really gotten into adventure games either, but after beating Phoenix Wright (and loving it) I feel like I should give em a shot.

I've been waiting for a price drop on Hector for a while but since there hasn't been one I think I'll just buy it.

16. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Monkey Island is the quintessential point and click adventure game. If you don't like it you don't like the genre.

17. TheFamousEccles

TheFamousEccles Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2009
    I think Broken Sword is the best place to start. The UI is brilliant, to say nothing of the game itself.

18. webshark3

webshark3 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2010
    OP: I just finished Broken Sword. The game is a MUST for adventure game fans.

Uh oh, I've been trying to get Steel Sky from the app store the last couple days (US). It's gone. What happened? I only have the lite demo (also missing in the App store).

19. Crazy_Possum

Crazy_Possum Well-Known Member

#19 Crazy_Possum, Jul 7, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
    Which App Store are you on? On the U.S store, the lite version is gone but here is the link to the full version: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/beneath-steel-sky-remastered/id331733638?mt=8

I loved Beneath a Steel Sky and Broken Sword. They have great controls, and they both have some great witty remarks.

Also, everyone get Phoenix Wright, then join the club on my signature.

20. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    MI is 4.99. MI2 is 7.99.