less is better? or add more and more stuff?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Zinggames, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Zinggames

Zinggames Well-Known Member

May 11, 2011
    Chicago
    Hey guys,

I am working on a simple quiz game now. The game supposes to be simple and easy to play.

I am thinking to add Gamble elements in the game. So users can bet some coins before they answer the question.

Fighting hard with myself about this feature. Love to hear other designers' feedback.

Thanks!!

2. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    Play test it. Don't explain how to play. Make sure some read the instructions, while let others follow the flow. See how complex they find it with and without the extra rules.

A third option is to unlock the extra game mechanic to experienced players.

If in doubt, leave it out.

3. Zinggames

Zinggames Well-Known Member

May 11, 2011
    Chicago
  4. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

That's an interesting adage. The one I've always gone along with is "If in doubt there is no doubt".

5. RebelBinary

RebelBinary Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Software Developer/Designer
    Ottawa, Canada
    That's an interesting mechanic, must be hard to resist adding it. I've had the same problems with my own game, feature creep keeps coming in and making the game more complicated. I honestly think the iPhone market has little patience for complex games to the point where only the simple mechanic game are the ones that sell well. It's a shame because a lot of these popular games lack depth that would hold my interest. I think the only way to add features is if the user finds it intuitive and doesn't need it explained. Like the sling shot in angry birds, you just automatically know what it's for and how to use it.

6. randyo

randyo Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2011
    (see above)
    Chicago!
    I'm a fan of simple games, but I think what you want to do is test it out and see how it changes your game. Adding coins to a quiz game doesn't really sound like a complicated problem in terms of player comprehension. But it will change the mood of the game.

Do you want it to be more about feeling smart or do you want it more strategic as a game? I think betting coins makes a more strategic quiz game, like, how does a player best conserve coins to get the furthest?

Always think about what's the core of your game, and if betting changes the core but also improves the game, then I think you should go for it!