Why iOS gaming is not taken seriously?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by nudawa, Jan 25, 2012.

1. nudawa

nudawa Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Since the A5 chip appeared with 9x graphic processing power. iPad 2 and iPhone 4s and iOS in general are an ideal evironment for gaming to bloom.

But as far as we know, there are very few iOS games that is seriously taken by developers (you can even count them on your fingertips). Most of the games are low-budget and sometimes kiddy, and gimmick.

So the question that has been bothering me so far is that "Why iOS gaming is still lacking big titles?"

I don't see any reason that prevent the devs from making big games for iOS, a decent hardware, wide-spread market, and powerful development tools...

We really need REAL big games on our devices, not some carelessly-done clones by Gameloft.

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #2 awp69, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
    Think it depends on what you mean by "big titles" and devs. Honestly, I think the iPhone/iPad has gotten incredible support. EA is the biggest dev out there and they surely seem to have taken the iOS system seriously. Square Enix, Konami, Disney and Sega are just a few of the other big names to utilize the system.

There are others that may have agreements with Microsoft/Sony/Nintendo that doesn't allow them to develop for the iOS.

Regardless, I honestly think the iOS has far surpassed anyone's expectations as a gaming device and each and every week there's incredible games being released.

Sure out of the millions of apps there's plenty of junk out there. But that's why I love these forums. We get insight into what is and isn't good and get to talk directly to developers (something you rarely get on any other device/console for gaming).

The indie devs often bring to the table original games that are "outside of the box" and give us the chance to play games that may never have seen the light of day on other systems.

Just my 2 cents. But last I read iOS/Android gaming had surpassed the revenues of the other handhelds even though they aren't dedicated gaming devices. Not every small dev makes it (unfortunately), but we still get some great games. And EA obviously is making a killing so they see the value in it as well.

Oh, and as a multiple console owner, I still play my iPod Touch more than any of them.

3. Zevious Zoquis

Zevious Zoquis Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Canada
    meh. I've had more fun gaming on my iphone over the past couple of years than I have on my PS3. I'm not all that worried if the "big titles" and devs don't take ios gaming seriously. Frankly I think they have done as much damage as good to console gaming over the years anyway...

4. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    #4 earthclaw, Jan 25, 2012
    I see several reasons why there are no real "big" games on iOS.
    For one,current hardware manufacturer restrictions.lack of processing power compared to today's cpu. Graphics are good on iOS, but are pale in comparison to today's console/pc gaming.lack of ram and physical storage hinder a gaming experience you are expecting.some of today's games take up anywhere from 1gb - 30+gb (some mmos).

But don't fret, there will be a day when tablet gaming will be better, but will be some time before we see it catch up too the console/pc standards.

As far as a casual games goes, iOS can't be beat, where else can you spend less then the cost of going to the movies and get an enjoyable past time.

5. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Agreed with the thread starter . We've seen too few "big" games for A5 devices . When a small developer can bring something like shadowgun can you imagine what a 3rd person shooter from EA would be like ? Namco brings soul calibur 1 when they could have brought SC4 or even 5 . EA tried with dead space and didn't continue that path .

I think it's the pricing model of the itunes stote ....

6. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    I really don't think that it's the power of A5 devices that is the problem .

7. earthclaw

earthclaw Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    Freakin Space Alien
    Alienville
    It's a combo of processor ram graphics and storage

Also there are a lot of restrictions that companies put on there hardware...ask any developer and he will tell you

8. CNWLshadow

CNWLshadow Active Member

Apr 24, 2011
    #8 CNWLshadow, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 20, 2017
    message removed

9. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

Why would anyone/anything want to be taken seriously in the gaming industry?

Seriousness is the evil arch enemy of fun.

10. dumaz1000

dumaz1000 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Because you get what you pay for, or what you are willing to pay for, or what the developer believes that you are willing to pay for. iOS gaming has it's place, but within the gaming industry hierarchy, it'll never been taken seriously; not by major, console, multi-platform devs/publishers. iOS gaming is what it is--a haven for indie developers, for better or worse. Most major publishers tend only to dabble in iOS development. They'll tinker with decade old ports and such, but that's about it. sadly, at it's highest end, IDevices are extremely powerful pieces of gaming hardware, but I do not believe that the software will ever rise to match it. Not with any measure of consistency. There are and always will be a few exceptions, but those are few and far between. There are what? Maybe a dozen games that maximize the specs of the A5 chipset? Less if own only the iPhone model and not an iPad. Some of the more advanced games are iPad specific.

It's the economic model. The pricing structure. This is the one thing that, from the very beginning has always held back advancement of high-end iOS gaming. It always has and always will.

Even so, you can occasionally get some pretty awesome games on the AppStore for 0.99c. There's a "big picture" price to be paid for that, but Paper Monsters for a dollar, or Smash Cops for a few dollars more, or Epoch now for 0.99c. iOS gaming is not completely void of promise. It's just a niche marketplace. That's all.

11. Xenosage

Xenosage Well-Known Member

#11 Xenosage, Jan 25, 2012
    Well, I think it might change if only companies such as Blizzard would get in this business. At the moment, its not so bad. Really, productions like Shadowgun, Deadspace, Bard's Tale, Battleheart, Dungeon Defenders, Infinity Blade, incoming Infinite God etc... etc... They maintain to keep high level. I think its too early for iOS to make bigger productions on a mass scale. First of all, its not even about the proccesor, but about memory. Apple needs to provide more space, like 128 GB storages and at least 1 GB RAM. Also, if they include in iPad 3 the newest PowerVR GPU from Rogue series... It will pwn like hell.

Presently, I'm glad that we are able to play some older games. Really, would you play them on your PC? I guess no. We tend to forget about old things (games), they only remain in our memory. Thanks to iOS, we are able to play them. I would be even more happy to see more 'ancient' titles like Jazz Jackrabbit, Black and White, Icewind Dale or Neverwinter Nights. Diablo would be something great also...

12. Hero Killer Id

Hero Killer Id Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    I love the App store just how it is. We get a few big titles but we consistently get fun new and accessible titles and a great price which is something that none of the big 3 has to offer. If Nintendo jumped on the IOS bandwagon integrated some game enter achievements and started rereleasing all of their old games they'd make a killing.

13. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Exactly. That's such a shame that there are so many cheapskates.

EA should've never ever put Dead Space on sale, it was just such a perfect game (and deservedly won Apple Game of The Year) since it's obvious they put a lot of effort and love into it.

14. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51
    iOS gaming is not console gaming. If there were a ton of big games on the iOS, then, this platform wouldn't be iOS gaming. It would be "mini-console gaming". iOS is know for its fun, simple, small, pick-up-and-play games rather than the big games such as Dead Space and Infinity Blade. If the iOS were built to have tons of big games, it would have to be the size of a console. There's a reason why the iOS devices are smaller than consoles: because they're built for smaller games rather than the bigger games.

15. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Agreed. I always hate how people want "console-quality" and all that other blah-blah-blah for iOS. iOS will NEVER be on par to consoles. However, I do want one thing to happen for iOS: get on the level of PSP and Nintendo games. I think it's on the right track, particularly with games like Crazy Hedgy and Terra Noctis.
    The reason iOS gaming isn't taken seriously is simple though. 90% of people even with an iPhone don't even know any of the best games for it, which is just plain atrocious.

16. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    Apple needs to make Game Center able to compete with PSN for the PS Vita or whatever Nintendo uses for their 3DS. Dont mean console quality, Apple needs to make Game Center the "XBL" for mobile gaming.

They need to completely redesign the app and make it so all games with multiplayer require gamecenter multiplayer support.

That way there's a base of players to play games with.

Apple first needs to be series about gaming and then needs to convince big publishers that the iPhone/iPad can be used to play games. Activision, Capcom, EA, Square Enix, Ubisoft, etc. need to make actual ports like Call of Duty 4, Marvel vs Capccom 3, Ghost Recon, etc.

I feel most of the hardcore games now (mostly made by EA) are more of a experiment to see if it can work on iOS.

17. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    I agree somewhat that Game Center should become better. Though they should allow already created games to stay as they are. The problem is that if you want to make a cross-platform multiplayer game or a multiplayer FPS or MMO, Game Center can't handle it. If Game Center could, it'd be far greater Also Ghost Recon is likely coming, it's been announced at least..

18. Ice Crisis

Ice Crisis Member

Jan 20, 2012
    I think there are 3 key reasons, which have already been touched (no pun intended) upon in this topic:

1) The lack of buttons on the device somewhat limits the feasibility of certain genres. Let's face it, there's big money in FPS games and they're better suited for a computer or console.

2) The competition in the app store has led to a race to the bottom in terms of pricing. Any game that sells for more than the lowest pricing tier (99 cents) is often not well received by consumers and if you're going to sell a more expensive game you'd better have a damn good reason for charging more.

3) Developing for iOS requires machines running Mac OS X. The bigger, already established studios may not have these and may not be willing to invest in the development of a Mac OS X workflow for their company because of point 2. (It takes more than just buying a bunch of Mac Minis. Other software may be needed, in-house software may need to be ported, the IT department will need OS X training, etc.)

19. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    LINK

I think this sums up most non-iOS gamers views. It isn't too far from the truth as the list of unique innovative iphone games are probably not even 1% of the total games on the store.

20. Chris_N

Chris_N Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    It's not about hardware, it's about money.
    big game = big budget.
    On a market where new games drown after 3 days because people expect a discount on a $2 game, you can't have more than Angry Birds... that's all.
    You get what you pay for.