Apps for musicians

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by NotYou, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

2. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
  3. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    > SS - you missed out, they were stunning live

I bet! They always seemed like they would be very interesting to see live. I feel like they canceled the entire North American tour for "The Mix", but maybe it was just the Los Angeles stop.

Decided to pick up Genome. Not sure when I'll actually have time to dig deep into it. Did a quick test with Sunrizer last night and Genome seemed a little odd. The sound vs. where the position pointer was located seems to be off. The pointer would land on beat 3 when I hear the downbeat of the current measure. Maybe that is my slow iPad 1? I also couldn't figure out how to delete a pattern. But I'll get it all figured out.

The reason I want Genome is because I really want a pattern-based sequencer. My Ensoniq ESQ-1 was pattern-based which let me mix things up live. I could move to different patterns whenever I want. So I'm hoping Genome will let me get back to pattern-based performance. I don't really plan on using it with the iPad apps, I am mostly looking to control my hardware.

4. chris1a

chris1a Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Genome is awesome, definatly pick it up if you're looking for a midi sequencer. If you have 2 or more iOS devices you can even sequence stuff over wifi (ie couple synths running on your iPhone and iPad all in sync via Genome trou different midi channels).

5. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Btw Glitchbreaks is out now.

6. Woelverine

Woelverine New Member

Apr 22, 2012
    SoundReaktor

Hi guys,

We are about to release a very cool music game/app.

The freestyle mode will be interesting for the musicians among you.
    In freestyle mode you can trigger samples, vocals and loops at free will and they all can be put in loop mode.

SoundReaktor website

Youtube channel must see

[​IMG]

Description:

SoundReaktor will revolutionize your music experience!

TAP THE PADS AND TRIGGER THE BEAT!
    SoundReaktor brings music gaming to a whole new level by letting you play and control the music!

Play BEATPACKS from top artists and upcoming talents around the world in music genres like Dance, Progressive House, Dubstep, Trance, Electro House, Drum 'n Bass, ...

In-app top artists: Armin van Buuren, Axwell, Netsky, Basto, Fedde Le Grand, Camo & Krooked, Sidney Samson, Bingo Players, Sander Van Doorn, R3hab, Hook N Sling, Tali, Xilent, Mord Fustang, Joe Garston, ...

Playing on 20 pads gives you a breathtaking feeling as if the beats are coming out of your fingertips!
    Each pad produces a different sound, loop, vocal, effect or percussive instrument.
    Progress bars and lightning pads will guide you throughout the sequence of the song.

The game is accessible for beginners, challenging for advanced players and addictive for everyone...
    A well-balanced scoring system drives you to improve your own performance or outperform others.

SoundReaktor also features a freestyle mode which allows you to trigger sounds, vocals, loops, effects and beats at will.
    Play beatpacks in complete freedom and show off your remix skills to your friends!

For optimal gaming experience use headphones or speakers.

Features:
    - Adrenaline pumping rhythm game where you are in control of the music
    - 6 free beatpacks included that will blow you away
    - Download beatpacks from top artists and upcoming talents
    - Every week new beatpacks available to download
    - Stunning graphics and artist backgrounds
    - Game mode: 3 different difficulty levels (beginner, pro and expert)
    - Freestyle mode: play beatpacks in complete freedom
    - Guiding lighting pads and progress bars
    - Animated scores and combo's
    - Tap accuracy calculation
    - See your scores and ranking on Game Center
    - Facebook & Twitter integration
    - Achievement system (very soon)

Compatible devices:
    - iPod Touch
    - iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S
    - iPad 1, iPad 2, iPad 3

7. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    All Korg apps are 1/2 price through May, 7th.

8. music

seems good by the picture.

9. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
  10. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Gosh there are way too many awesome music apps (First World Problems, eh?)

11. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Dubstep Studio is fun kind of like a toy type, but you can make your own music with it. The problem is that there's only samples and you can put effects on those, no way to make your own drums or synths.

12. Habakuk

13. chris1a

Mar 10, 2010
    Sweden
    Even if you don't have an iPhone/iPod dl it anyway. That way you can have two instances of sunrizer running at the same time (and sequence them from Genome or something else).

14. SSquared

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    chris1a, that is a great idea. I wasn't planning to download as I already have Sunrizer for iPad, but your comment made me rethink. Downloading now!

15. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    @woelverine - I'm in. What is the release date?

16. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Haven't tried it out yet, but it's free... ;)

App info is currently processing and/or the app is not yet fully available for sale on the US App Store.

17. SSquared

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    MIDI Studio is one of the better MIDI interface/control pads for iOS. I looked at some others, but since getting MIDI Studio, I feel I have exactly what I was looking for. This is an incredible deal for FREE.

The one thing I don't think it can do, which is kind of major, is I can't figure out how to do a program change. I'm not sure it can handle this yet. The only types of buttons it has are either in an ON or OFF position.

What I really like about this is the ability to have two keyboards sending out on two separate MIDI channels. One of my main reasons for an iOS MIDI controller was so I don't have to setup all of my keyboards/computer just to play some sounds or find a new sound for the week's music set. I can now use MIDI Studio and hook it up to my Yamaha Rack-XS which has MIDI Thru to my Roland JV-1080 and now I can search through sounds and try various layering between the two. It is quite fun.

18. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Haven't had a chance to browse through this thread, but I recently picked up Reactable Mobile. Mind you, it's nearly worthless on an iPod/iPhone, but it's a terrific (universal) app on the iPad for anyone who, like me, is a sucker for post-synth visual music creation/toys. It's based on a friggin' awesome...instrument?...Reactable, which uses a giant touch table along with physical pucks to generate music and, it's real purpose, to play live.

I'm also assuming that a real-life Reactable table would be well out of my budget, though I haven't been able to find a price on one.

19. Habakuk

20. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Big sale on Notion, by Notion Music, inc. No link, because I'm mobile, but it's a really nice notation and composition app, with professionally recorded instrumentation. Somewhere around half off.