Universal Triple Town (By Spry Fox)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by goiMot, Jan 19, 2012.

1. mlkaufman

mlkaufman Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    #21 mlkaufman, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
    Great game. If it wasn't for the need to buy turns to keep playing (or to spend $7 for unlimited turns) I would consider it the best game I've seen in 2012. I don't play freemium games at all, and while yours is good, its not good enough to get me to start.

Having said that, your statement is obviously not true. With unlimited coins, I could keep buying trees, crystals and Imperial bots, and get as high a score as I wanted. While it may be true that am average player buying a little in the store will not do as well as a skilled player buying nothing, its not that hard to get to the point where buying stuff will net you much higher scores then playing well.

I would agree with you except for the need to purchase turns.

2. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Is the only way to get more turns by spending coins or paying for the unlimited unlock, or do you get more over time?

This is a GREAT match 3 game, but $7 for unlimited turns is crazy. Bring that down to $3 or so, and I'm in.

3. Robotwars

Robotwars Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2011
    Lol above posts proclaim this as a GREAT game yet they won't pay money for it. This is well worth the 7 dollars.

4. spryfox

spryfox Active Member

No, that's not connect. Every item in the store has a supply limit. There are only four Imperial Bots, for example. Once you've bought them all, you can't buy more until your game is finished and restarted. It is impossible to buy your way to a high score.

5. mlkaufman

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    I'm just curious. Did you actually LOL, or are you just saying LOL? In any case, if it is well worth 7 dollars to you then I suggest you buy it. But you should try to understand that its worth is a subjective opinion, and not fact. I think its a great game, but not great enough to spend $7 on. Can you understand that distinction.

I don't usually talk about prices or IAP, but IMO, IAP to unlock basic gameplay is a losing game anyhow. I have four people I often gift games to, and had this been a straight $3 game, I would have sent it to all of them. But, since I can't gift an IAP, I can't give it to any of them whatever the cost.

6. dsigns

dsigns Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2010
    Never played this game before but im hooked.

7. mlkaufman

Apr 24, 2009
    Chicago
    Oh, I didn't realize that.

Never mind...

8. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    I will pay money for it, but I won't pay $7. There are other fantastic match 3 games that are more reasonably priced, such as Dungeon Raid.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Guess I'll pick it up. Looks like TA is all over it. Never tried it on Facebook.

10. LordGek

LordGek Well-Known Member
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Feb 19, 2009
    Software QA Engineer
    Saratoga, CA, USA
    This port is really an EXACT port of their game on Facebook, Google+, or Chrome. Try it one of those places first and see if it grabs you (or, heck, on your favorite iOs device as it is free). I reminds me a lot of Alchemize with moving bears and without the gravity. :rolleyes:

11. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    Anyone else having issues with the achievements? I'm reaching the score goals but its not registering with the achievements.

12. Tannorexic

Tannorexic Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    Somewhere in the spiritual realm
    #32 Tannorexic, Jan 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2012
    Whoever decided to charge $7 for unlocking the full game can't be very business savvy.

It's pretty obvious in the iOS world the most common price is 99c,
    Even the huge upcoming "paper monsters" that spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in production, HUGE project, they could probably charge up to $20 and still sell a decent amount of copies but they don't, they could easily sell it for $5 and still sell hundreds of thousands of copies, but again nope, they hired a business marketer which advised them to sell for 99c to get the most copies out there, more and more people have the app, and with huge fan bases you can build an entire franchise on the game like angry birds and cut the rope. And paper monsters will have small in app purchases too, like different clothes for your character, and all the hundreds of thousands of people who download it and like it will probably choose to support the developer and buy all those unlockables, especially cause the game was so cheap.

A game like this is terrible to charge 7$ for, I completely ignored this game at first, didn't like the screen shots and the IAP, after seeing others talk about it on here I thought what they hey, just give it a go, I did and it is a good game, but I wouldn't pay $7 for it, so I'm just going to delete it and spend my $7 on 7 other high quality hames for iOS.
    I'm sure alot of people would have the same mentality,
    Not many will pay $7 and you'd make 1000x more if it were 99c to unlock, or even 2.99.. But 7? No way, that's 7 games.

Even if they do reduce the price later it won't help much, the game is featured NOW so now is the time to do it before everyone forgets about it and deletes it because it's too expensive. The worst part is IAP don't come up on discount app websites or apps..so if it does reduce I doubt the word will get out,

It'll probably get buried with all the other high priced hidden gems that got lost from the devs greed,
    This could go huge, for 99c and maybe add some other IAP if you want more revenue.
    Id pay money for different skins, maybe a snow skin, a carnival skin, etc

And id also pay to have bigger sizes for experts.. Like how minesweeper has 3 different modes.
    There's many ways you could make money but setting the price that high is not one of them, this is iOS, we are used to getting games 99c that is like the biggest no no of iOS, especially because it would have been quite simple to make triple town for iOS..other games like paper monsters have been in production for over a year with professionals and huge budget..this is just a little game that wouldn't have cost much to develope the iOS app, although it is brilliantly thought out, it doesn't warrant the $7 price tag

13. Georgina

Georgina Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 30, 2010
    Sydney
    Game Impressions

Goodness, I want to like this, but this is the best game with the worst IAP that I've seen in a while.

Consumable IAP is terrible to begin with -- there's no challenge in trying to scale the leaderboards when people can buy their way up them -- but consumable IAP for items plus consumable IAP for more turns? (Or a hefty $7.49 AU unlock fee?) Sheesh. It feels like the worst kind of cynical cash grab.

I'm not opposed to freemium games, but this is the kind of rubbish that makes people hate them. I hope the developers will consider coming up with a pricing scheme that makes players feel less like giant wallets with legs.

Cheers.

14. spryfox

spryfox Active Member

Hey guys -- as I pointed out earlier in the thread, it is not correct to say you can buy unlimited items and therefore "buy" yourself a highscore. There are sharp limits on quantities of everything in the store; no matter how much cash you have, you cannot buy more than a certain amount (and it is relatively easy to earn the coins -- for free -- to buy everything in the store.) If you doubt me on this, simply try it. Save up your coins for a big game and then give that game your best shot. My high score is 3.6m -- no cheating, no exploits. Let me know how close you get to that.

As for the price, you're absolutely right that many games in iTunes are 99 cents. You're forgetting, however, that those games aren't f2p. If you're willing to wait for turns to recharge, you can play this forever without paying us a dime. And 99% of people will do exactly that. So we rely on the few people who love the game enough (and/or care about supporting indie game developers enough) to pay us the equivalent price of a hamburger in exchange for dozens of hours of entertainment.

15. Riggy

Riggy Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    That's the problem here. I would gladly pay a fair price for this game, and not have it free to play. You would have been better off doing a lite version with a set number of turns, and a heavy recharge wait time, and a "full" version for a decent price (maybe $3?) without the extra turns iap. This is a really fun game, but not a $7 fun game. I look at other games that cost less that I've purchased when I make that comparison, such as Caylus, Carcassonne (bought at launch for $5), Dungeon Raid, Neuroshima Hex, Ticket to Ride, etc. I have no problem with buying games that are more than $1. Like I said, I'm not knocking the game because it is quite good, I just don't agree with the price. If there is ever a sale/price drop on the unlimited turn IAP, I will be first in line.

16. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    What scores have you guys been getting?

I don't think I have the sufficient turns to play another full game.
    iAP ruined this amazing game.

17. Tannorexic

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    #37 Tannorexic, Jan 21, 2012
    Your absolutely right when you said alot of people will never pay a cent and get to enjoy this game.
    That's what most people will be doing, look at all the feedback on here, only one person has actually bought the game, feedback on itunes are also all complaining, your not going to build a solid fan base and make many sales with this sales model.
    I wouldnt pay $7 for this, not today and not never, if i loved it that much id play it for free on the computer, And I'm no cheapskate with games,I'm just sensible, I'll spend $7 in a heartbeat but I'd rather buy 7 games in stead of one that's all. It's just logical. Unless the game is super awesome, like scribblenauts,aquaria and etc.
    I'll pay high price for a game if I think it's worth it, recently paid $10 for mole kart and all unlockables, but I know I can keep that on my iPad forever, race friends over wifi etc, however with this game it's one of those games that your addicted to at first but you get bored of it quick..there's only one board, nothing different happens, exact same thing every round, I'd pay $7 if there were different skins and bigger boards, but I know for a fact I'll get sick of this in a few days, just like I get sick of kairosoft games, I have every kairosoft game released, and I'll always play them through once or twice, then that's it..this game actually reminds me of kairosofts "Edo towns" art is even similar, even a similar name, similar gameplay making combos, but Edo town has more variety and goes for longer and is more In depth.
    This is a fun game and it's very simple but really works, but seriously, you'll regret the $7 thing, just wait until next week when your no longer on apples featured list..you'll wish you only charged $3 so then heaps of people would have bought it and shown their family and friends and got a whole heap of people onto it, then they do the same, etc, and it'd spread like wild fire, like angry birds did, but I doubt many would reccomend a game with an IAP of $7 where all the content available is also available for free. But like I said earlier, if there were extra skins and extra modes you probably would have a good shot, but I can't see anyone paying that much to be able to play all day long. I don't know what the limit is but I haven't reach it yet and I probably played for about an hour and got tired of it.
    Needs something else, unlockables, different themes, and different modes, because I'm sure others will also be bored after a while, it's inevitable with no variety.

its a nice simplistic puzzler, it's a shame cause you really aren't doing yourself good, you won't make more money doing it this way, that's for sure.
    100,000 sales at $2.99 - 300k
    500 sales at $7.49 - 3745

But at the moment the game only has about 25k downloads ..
    So
    25,000 x $3 - $75,00
    And just say your doing well because you were on the featured list, and ended up getting around 500 purchases, I doubt that though,
    But that'd be $3745

This numbers aren't even comparable, why do you think cut the rope is 99c? And angry birds? Even gameloft games are often on sale for 99c, all chillingo games too, why would all these experienced iOS publishes with hoards of money for marketers and finance help only charge 99c when they coukd charge 7$ like you? I wonder!

Maybe you'll have a change of heart next week when your game is off the featured list, it'll be too late by then though, you won't have a platform to advertise on then and it won't be half as effective.

But anyways, the devs mindset seems like it's encased in concrete for now while everything is fine and dandy while on apples featured list, but from all the devs on here whining about how to get more business after their game is no longer featured... Itd bring me concern if i were the dev.I bet in a few weeks time it'll be reduced, but it won't be featured then so it won't be as effective.

It's already Saturday so there's only 4 days til a new batch of releases come out, I'd truly consider your options , don't be stubborn in the iOS world, it'll get you nowhere. I'm not saying reduce it right now, because it's only been a few days..squeeze what sales you can get at full price first, but I'd strongly suggest at least reducing the price to $0.99 just before it's about to get cleared from the featured list to give you that extra boost that may help your game while it's no longer on front page advertisement because I have seen many many devs on here that have a wicked game, got it featured, then tumble weed slowly dropping from the charts to nowhere and gets hidden under all the new crap released everyday. This is a brilliant game and I would hate to see that happen to it.

And you have a point saying "you can get hours of entertainment for the price of a burger meal"
    Yes, in the real world $7 is nothing at all, BUT in the iOS world, $7 is worth much more, it's like how different countries have different conversion rates.. Well in the iOS world $1 is worth much, much more. Where in the real world can you get hours of entertainment for a dollar? Thailand maybe, but there's hidden expenses since you'll have to pay more for a visit to a clinic.
    In the iOS world, $1 gets you hours of entertainment, so people use each and every dollar on their iTunes card very wisely. Most of us here have a very long "wish list" of games we haven't picked up yet, I have about 40 games on my list, most of which are $1, and its very hard to even contemplate spending $7 on this when I could get 7 games on my wish list and have 7xs the fun.

I also have a few freemiums..sometimes freeminums work to suck more money out of people but they do it slowly and sneakily, they get you hooked then ask for a $1 here and there..I've spent about $20 on dragonvale, and almost $100 on tiny tower, it's okay doing it a few dollars here and there over a month or so, but $7 at once still seems a bit much, I'd have rathered not have a freeminum mode and just pay $3 outwright for it, then also have IAP in the game like , again, modes, skins and other items, and I'd almost certainly buy them regularly, and over time you'd make a HEAP from it, that's how freeminum works to make big bucks, not giving someone a demo then asking to pay $7 at once, most people won't even download a game where they see a $7 price tag to unlock, unless it's a proper game with good graphics and all that like call of duty or racing games or whatever..not many people would pay $7 for a 2d very basic puzzler.

But you did hit the nail on the head with this one, to make it in the iOS world you need a simple idea, with not too much to remember, but super addictive and fun. You got that part down, but you've build the freeminum model a bit strange..it'd b acceptable with more modes though, even a puzzle mode where you get 12 moves to make a mansion, or something like that, that'd be really sweet actually, I'd pay for level packs for that in an instant. Freeminums are supposed to charge people bit by bit..people see 99c and think it's nothing, not even a gold coin, and go yep yep here ya go, then another one the next day, another update comes out with more level packs and spend more, and that's here you build up a huge loyal fan base who will continue buying stuff potentially for years. That's the way to to. Not this.

And I apologize for the novel/rant. I have absolutely nothing to do all day so I'm laying on my bed browsing my iPad peacefully

Not trying to attack you or insult your game, cause it's bloody awesome and addictive as hell, im just saying there are better freeminum models that would work much better.

**edit**

Thank you to whoever mentioned Yeti town, I just played it and it's exactly the same as triple town, except you seem to get more goes? And it's only $1.99 to unlock. Instead of a forest theme it's a snow theme.
    I really like it.
    I might keep both on my device and if I'm in a mega puzzler mood I can play one until I have no turns left, then play the other til no turns, then by that stage the other should have accumulated more turns, and it'll combat me having to spend $7 yayz

Everyone should try Yeti town, it's awesome :) and i like the snow

18. Danc

Danc Member

Jan 20, 2012
    Turns recharge over time

Just making sure everyone knows that turns recharge over time for free. Same as the web version.

19. Tannorexic

Dec 5, 2011
    Student
    #39 Tannorexic, Jan 21, 2012
    Another good in app purchase to add if you changed the model, would be extra storage spaces.

Maybe even a one off payment to make ninjas disappear after 10 turns if you don't get a removal item before then

And since you pointed out your an indie developer who needs support, that's an even bigger reason to lower the price, it's a big misconception that higher priced games make more money, in the AppStore its the opposite, people simply won't pay, they'll just jailbreak their devices and get games for free or just keep playing the demo, and if they want to play more they'll just delete and reinstall the game.
    This is not a good way to go about making money, with 25k buyers you could have made about 10k by now, or 30k if you charged $3.99 ..probably less because not as many people would buy at $3 then they would 99c..everyone buys a game at 99c..it's a messily dollar so it's usually a thoughtless process, and instant yes, and you get many buys..but the fact that everyone can see in the AppStore before downloading, that it's $7 that'd actually stop alot of people from even downloading It, it did for me. Until I saw this thread.

Instead you could make the game 99c and charge for coins, puzzle level packs, extra storage slots for crystals and whatnot, different modes with different sizes, and different skins. Ughh you could be making so much, it's really lame like this!

Anyways,

I've said all I can possibly say about trying to convince the dev, I actually want the devs to make money so they can make more awesome games and hopefully updates for puzzle levels and skins for more money, if I still like this in a few days I might just buy it, I just got a $100 gift card so I'm feeling a bit sleazy for some iOS games..but the principal of the matter is turning me off. It makes me not want to be a fan because I don't agree with the financial concept. And your really going to have a hard time gaining a huge loyal fan base.
    That's my 2 cents I'll shutmup now because I've got to get ready to go out tonight so I don't really have a choice, ranting is one of my biggest hobbies, but grilled steak and vodka slightly beats it, ranting after a big steak whilst drinking vodka is the best of two worlds. Might try to fit that into my schedule tonight, might even bring up triple town and see what friends think about it or if I'm just being too picky. I am willing to pay $20 for a red bull and double shot of vodka but why the hell does $7 seem like alot in the iOS world..frikkin weird

20. andsoitgoes

andsoitgoes Well-Known Member

I came here and I can say that I'm right on the midline with the game and its IAP...

No matter how we look at it, how I mull it over in my head, how amazing and wonderful the game is... $7 is far beyond what a full unlock should be.

I love supporting devs, especially of some really great games, but there has to be a line, spryfox. I think $7 goes beyond it.

I have paid a significant penny on many games. Dungeon Raid, which is a close comparison as far as quality and addictiveness, was a worthy purchase at $2, $3, etc... But the leap from that to $6.99?

This is the kind of freemium model that makes me hang my head for the app store. I believe this is a great game and I wouldn't have batted an eye at $2.99 or, heck, $3.99 for a full unlock... But $6.99?

If you were to examine everything in the app store, there's nothing that matches the high price point of this game. Nothing at all. And it frustrates me, because I want to support you, I do. Very much. But a game that I maybe got around 2 hours of playtime before I ran out of turns? It just doesn't seem to add up, and that makes me more sad than you can realize.

I don't normally rant, but I feel there is something special here... Just not $7 special ;)

And no, waiting for turns to refresh, getting maybe 2ish hours of play, isn't enough...