New App vs. big Update?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Bersaelor, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Bersaelor

Bersaelor Member

May 28, 2010
    Hey,

I'm currently working on the version 1.5 of my app (more animations, one big extension of game logic, OpenFeint-Push-Notification turn based multiplayer,...).

Now since I released the game, I never sent it to any reviewers because I always had so many things in my head to add, that would make it so much better.
    I mean I did get featured as "new and noteworthy" and some reviewers asked me for a promo code! Still for myself it was never perfect enough to send it to reviewing sites.

So once the version 1.5 ships, I think I'm ready for professionals to rate it.
    Yet I'm unsure whether it even makes a point to submit a version 1.5 for review to anyone.

From your experience, do reviewers turn away disgusted if they receive a promo code for an app that has been in the store for a while?

The only alternative I could think of , is releasing it as a sequel "Tactica 2" and then marketing it as brand-new to reviewers.

What do you think, and what has been your experience?

2. From a player stand point, personally I'd prefer to see a big update. If you release a new app, then you're splitting your users amongst 2 games and even if the all decide to switch to the newer application, they would be upset if they had to pay for it again. You might end up losing more players at the end of the day than gaining a new fan base. Adding a new update is much better, plus it lets current users know that the dev still cares about that game and is consistently working on making it work and look better; unlike Blizzard.

3. DGH94

DGH94 Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Next to the Maiden
    From working at a review site, I'm fine with getting a promo code for an app that has some age behind, especially if it has gone under a huge update. So feel free to keep it as one game.

4. Bersaelor

Bersaelor Member

May 28, 2010
    Well I feel the same way, if it was necessary I thought about sending promo codes to my top players (there are only about 300 regular players yet, many of the ones who go online often are friends with me in Open Feint and I even have the email adresses after some of them commented on my blog).

But fortunately DGH94 cleared the problem, and I hope its gonna be ok to make an update :)

5. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    Is your app currently ranked on a top list? If so, I'd encourage you to update it. People will see the changes listed in the description/screenshots. In contrast, if you update an unranked app, you'll have an uphill battle getting anyone to notice.

Given the scope of your improvements, you could easily justify putting it out as a sequal. Psychologically, I'd expect that a "new app" would be far less likely to be ignored than an update. The obvious exception would be if your game was already a favorite of the review site.

Good luck!

6. Bersaelor

Bersaelor Member

May 28, 2010
    Well, currently I'm out of all ranks, thats why I asked. I mean honestly, how should anyone know about my game, I'm only mentioned on 3 review sites that asked me for a promo code (appspy.com, appreview.com)

But I do understand, that making a sequel would be annoying to mu current fan base too...

7. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    In our experience big updates are the way to go. The product is already out there and known then sales should go up. All the big updates we have done have pushed the game up the charts... But for this to work you need a massive big improvement with updates. In Jet Car Stunts these updates helped sales:

The added tutorial.
    The Openfeint gold enhancements.
    The DLC and iOS 4 enhancements - this has been the most successful update to the point that apple are featuring the game heavily on the App Store now.

Also, releasing the Lite version of the game at around the Openfeint gold stuff helped sales as well.

8. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Yeah but I'm pretty sure Jet Car Stunts has a fairly large user base by now (if not a huge one?) and has always had its name floating around out there... he mentioned his game isn't on any charts, that means that doing a big update simply won't get recognized. Updating a game no one knows about is not going to peak anyone's interest.

IMO you need to re-release it, and give the game a second chance to do well with all the release buzz and possibly even another chance to get on the new and noteworthy list. You may piss off your current fan base, but honestly if that's only a handful of people, its something you really should think about doing.

9. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

Would you like to share any observations regarding the pace of upgrades vs. the proportional improvements in sales?

For our games, I'd say we've never seen a remarkable effect by updating, but maybe we're just doing it wrong :)

(We'll see how ZB2 Universal turns out...)

10. BloqKarma

BloqKarma Member

Jul 12, 2010
    I agree. Why worry about pissing off 300 players, when you could delight 1000 more? But really, if the update is as big as you say, many of them won't be angry.

Don't forget you need to make money, too.

11. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    #11 TrueAxis, Jul 19, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
    If you go on the appannie site you can see a massive spike in sales on those updates. Then the sales after a couple of weeks then drop quickly then go up over time.

I think we have been pretty lucky because all those releases had publicity from most of the review sites and from Openfeint, which will peek interest in potential users. The latest update is been heavily promoted by Apple, so before the update we were floating around 130/150 position in the Games chart, then we just shot up to 43 over the weekend.

What we are learning, which everyone knows anyway, without Apples help the App will sink... If you can get press then that can get you so far but couple that with exposure on the store then things move pretty quickly.

But I think the updates to the game have peeked interest in Apple to promote it. So the conclusion is we are in a lottery! We can control the making of the product but the rest is down to chances and whims of outside influences.

So, if you ask me are updates worth it - for us yes :)

Going back to the original subject, if the game is nowhere in the charts then it's worth releasing as a new game. The second time in the lottery might be more luckier.

12. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    well i can tell you from the users point of view. i bought this app. it needs a update to make it usable.. so what dose the developer do.. update the app to OS4.. make a pro version, says it onsale for everyone who bought the original app that needs a fix.. and says will not be supporting the original app anymore. but its ok cause i put the pro on sale for you.. blah..

this happens all to often.

or a update that a program needs to make it complete.. nope goes pro.. and expects its customers to buy it and since its on sale.. he is doing us a favor.. talking about BS.. i cant stand how the appstore works sometimes..

ok im done with my rant. and yeah i do have a list of app developers i wont buy from anymore.. best i can do.. should statr a app of shame webpage or something for people to rant on.. laughs.

o well life goes on.

chris.

13. Bersaelor

Bersaelor Member

May 28, 2010
    Well if I have to piss off my current fan base anyways, I might as well update the game (potentially getting on Open Feint's Gold) and send it to reviewers (which as I said, I didn't try yet)

If I really see no movement in sales at all, I could still take it out of the store and rerelease it completely, could I? (possibly with the next patch)

14. Nesvand

Nesvand Active Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Review Editor
    Australia
    Just thought I'd address a couple things.

Firstly a minor correction: We purchased our copy for review for Tactica, if we received (or requested) a promotional code then I am unable to find a record of it.

Secondly, a lot of what the people here have said rings true: Ultimately this is a business and you're out to make money, if some people feel shorted while others are delighted, then you're coming out ahead.

This is similar to situations larger companies have famously entered in to (notably Valve and the L4D series) and there's no easy solution.

As a content provider for a review website, a new product (ie. Tactica 2) would warrant a review, but you also need to consider whether this is a true new version (ie. have you taken this product beyond the original) or is it just an update you're asking people to pay for - these are questions we ask when reviewing a product and it can seriously affect how someone feels about a game.

From talking to other developers the only advice I can give is to make a personal decision about just how significant your update really is. If it's essentially a new game, then make it stand alone; if it's merely correcting issues and adding a handful of improvements, then maybe an update is the answer - spread the word accordingly and even if reviewers can't (and honestly shouldn't) change their initial review, I think you'd find they'd be willing to offer some solution (be it a news post describing the changes and their improvements or an addendum to the review itself).

Something I find endlessly amazing about the iPhone community is seeing how developers take the time to directly interact with their customers; on a personal level I believe this should be applauded and it definitely enamors me to their work ;)

15. Rhythm

Rhythm Member

Dec 28, 2009
    The main advantage of a new app is the added downloads you get from your existing user base.

While releasing a successful update may show an increase in downloads on top of many updates, a successful re-release with a brand new app converts your install base into downloads and in many cases boosts your rankings on the charts dramatically. The higher rankings in turn fuel continued visibility and buzz, resulting in lots of sales :)

This is especially effective with "freemium" games where there is a large amount of users that play the game as time goes on. There is nothing in the chart to reflect this so releasing a brand new app leverages this advantage.

See this example: http://www.appannie.com/search/?q=original+gangstaz

In your case, it doesn't seem you have a very large existing user base. Also note that Apple will reject your new app submission if it seems too similar. In my opinion you should only release a brand new app if you believe you are really providing a new product to your users, since as a marketing technique the benefits in this case are questionable.

16. Bersaelor

Bersaelor Member

May 28, 2010
    Yes you appearently did, and I really apreciate your effort. The others asked me for a promo code, where you just did a review without one :)

Speeking of that point, my update is sort of on the border between update and sequel if you look at the amount of content.
    If I send you a review code for version 1.5 would you review it again?

For all the other reviewing sites, I had no reviews yet (since they don't know about me) , so the problem is not whether they review me again, but whether they review an app that isn't new that is sent to them at all.

17. Nesvand

Nesvand Active Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Review Editor
    Australia
    A significant update (especially one that significantly improves the game in some way) is still worth looking at - however this is entirely site dependent and each one is likely to have unique policies in this regard.

As for the rest feel free to contact me directly to discuss your game - lets not sidetrack this thread ;)

18. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #18 dyscode, Jul 20, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2010
    HI,

Just going from a customer view here:

avoid NEW games, that are just more of the same of you´re old one,
    wherever possible. Unless you really feel it´s a must.

1. the names is already floating around people already know it. the number of apps is growing fast. So establishing a new name gets
    harder by the day.

2. nothing more pisses existing customer off that paying twice for the same game.
    There ARE some case mentioned here on TA and they only thing it does for devs is, they nearly completely driven away all their existing customer base. I mean, they may not ever be returning to that developer.

3. Updates results in higher downloads which will get you into the high ranks in the appstore.
    TO achieve that with just sales i much more harder.

4. Reviewers and customers go crazy for joy if they learn their 'old stinky
    app' is now worth A LOT MORE with new content, if you update it.
    Which results in a way better word of mouth.

5. which in return shows your customer base that you actually CARE
    for your app. That builds up trust and confidence for your REALLY new games, especially. That can lead to a point where people buy your apps
    just it´s because of you.
    Some few devs have reached that status. But this is the ultimate goal, isn´t it?

6. a game with 30 reviews has a higher acceptance than a game with 5,
    unless (5.) comes into play.

just my 2 biased cents. :D

19. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany

well if he makes "cool game 2" , and has a customer base who still play "cool game 1" then its not establishing a ne game than rather widen youre portfolio.

a plants vs zombie 2 will have bigger sales than just an update to the current one.

depends on what the "same" means.. if its "more" of the same, new levels, new things to explore with the same gameplay.. thats more than fine in my book.. its not like there is just one rts, one tower defense or one shooter.

i would say that about as false as it get..

if youre game is not exposed right now on the appstore with lurking somewhere in the list where casual users can find it an update is a blank shoot into the dark. waste of time and energy.

if youre game is already somewhere in positions where people can find it
    and update combined with PR!!!!! reviews etc. can help you more thats right.. the questions is how high the chances are to get such media exposure with an update compared to part2

if youre update is really big and you feel you can justify to attach an "2" to youre title. do it.

then update part 1 and let the few customers you have know there is more.
    some will jump on the bandwagon and buy more , some will call you a miserable **** but in the end its biz.

even wronger than before. bad bad analytics charts show that for an
    rather unsuccessfull game with a couple thousand followers, most of them don't even have the app installed anymore.

so if they don't browse news site they will never ever know that there was an update released. after apples change to the way updates reflect on the appstore, making updates for visibility is generaly a waste of time for 95% of the developers who have single digit sales a day.

well yes one can say its true what you say. but thoose few who reached that status are millionairs already.. how many of the developers did become that yet? not many huh.. so this is like say, keep playing the lottery.. one day you might win.

this is a biz and you need to think about realistic possibilities and no what might could have happen if this and that comes true bla bla.

reality bites you in the ass quickly on the appstore. it is more than pure luck to get into the top echelon. its a win in the lottery. if you don't want to put youre chance on luck one way to briden youre customers is to briden youre offered portfolio of games.

a good example is donut games with their like 20-30games on the appstore.. none of their games has been very long in the top list compare to doodle jump&co , but their big portfilio covers alot of ground so they are successfull and get money in.

broaden youre portfolio should be everyone developers no.1 priority.
    if game 1 doesnt work, continue work on game 2, then continue.

but yes, keep youre customers happy. no you don't need to give them alot of extra updates for free.. if youre app is not buggy and works fine, thats what the customer paid for in the first place.
    make additional content avaiable via dlc or put it into a next game.

you can even mix it by giving them a taste of the second part.. laybrinth did it and i found it cool, they added a "demo" of their successor into the first game. so people who still play youre game see whats new and if they like youre product in the first place they probably like youre next game too.

a game with 30 reviews doesnt have sales to speak of. a game with 5 reviews didnt have any sales.. hi to the developers wife and friends who made the first bunch of reviews.. that was nice of you

and my response to it :)

20. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #20 dyscode, Jul 21, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2010
    which makes quite sense to me.
    you´re cool.

more of the same is like the BrainFreeze Series.
    the 'update' game from e.g. 'I Dig It' to 'I Dig It Expeditions' (New Game) was a 'update' that made sense as a new game. It changed the gameplay completely and would have indeed upset a lot of customers who liked the original, while the game mechanics stayed the same essentially.