One concern about IAP to enable full games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Rixx, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    #1 Rixx, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
    Hi Peeps!

I have this concern.....I keep all my IPAs backed up, in case I screw up something and have to reload, or in case Apple or the developers pull a game.

With this pricing model, on say Sacred Odyssey.....if I delete the app, and reinstall it later, I am depending on Gameloft/Apple in this example to still make available my record of purchase to enable the full game. (Unless I backed up the app data somehow independantly of Apple, which would require JB.)

If Gameloft gets mad at Apple somehow and pulls all their games, I can still install my IPA of N.O.V.A. 2 and play the game.

I am guessing that in this scenario that the IAP activated games like Sacred Odyssey would be out of luck, yes? I do not think Apple would "Restore Purchase" if the purchaseable item is no longer on the Apple store.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Rixx

2. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    #2 backtothis, Feb 28, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  3. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    If you bought the IAP, you can redownload for free

4. Rixx

Rixx Well-Known Member

May 29, 2009
    College Instructor
    Longview, Texas
    Forever? no matter what? I do not think Apple will "Restore Purchase" if the purchaseable item is no longer on the Apple store.

5. Epox

Epox Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2010
    IAP's are hosted on a server thats not Apple's. As long as that server has the record that you bought you can redownload it.

6. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    Not necessarily sometimes games do vanish from the store over silly issues like licensing the last mainstream ones I guess are Fifa10 and Championship Manager 2010.

If they had of used the same model anyone who bought them would never be able to put them back on the device. If anything things like this are getting more common lately.

If anything that means the server is more likely to vanish one day.

7. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Until the server goes down.

8. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    This is even worse! It's much more likely for a small developer to go out of business than Apple.

As far as I know not all games use their own servers, they can use Apple's as well. However since you can't redownload games you've bought that are no longer in the store (Sword & Poker a few weeks ago for example) I very much doubt you'd be able to reactivate IAPs for games that are gone.

It's a problem sure, luckily most games are so cheap and disposable that I don't think it matters all that much.