Dual platform release

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dakeese, Sep 24, 2014.

1. dakeese

dakeese Member

Feb 28, 2013
    I'm wondering if anyone has noticed if the App Store curators give preferential treatment to iOS exclusives. Most games come out on iOS first anyway, but if it's the other way around or a simultaneous release, is a game less likely to be shown in Best New Games?

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    Some of those like Star Wars commander made agreements with apple to make this happen.

3. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    Not sure what you meant but SW Commander is available on both.

4. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    was iOS exclusive for first month or so.

5. Pixelosis

Pixelosis Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2013
    OK. Good to know. I'm confused cause I got the idea of downloading it by reading a review on Touch Arcade. Review seemed to be very fresh so I wasn't getting the exclusivity thing.

6. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    It's got to help a bit if you're an iOS exclusive/timed exclusive, I'd have thought. The process is pretty opaque though.

7. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    #7 Stingman, Oct 3, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    App store exclusive

Well of course Apple would be interested in an app being exclusive to their app store! If you were Apple wouldn't you want the next big game to be exclusive to you?

Is this ultimately going to be what matters though? No, but there are things to consider:

If you are an unknown indie and your game is not building hype or generating press, then your chances of being featured are pretty much like winning the lottery. But hey, people do win the lottery right? I wouldn't bet my career on it though. If on the other hand you are a large company or one with a good reputation for releasing consistent quality products then providing an app store exclusive to Apple would probably be a win-win for both of you. A lot of respectable publishers release on Apple first for the exclusive promotional bonus and then on Android after this promo period is over.

Again though, if you're indie, you have no successful releases, no press, no buzz, or even a little to no following on Touch Arcade forums, etc... going exclusive to iOS is not the smartest business decision. Why not try and maximize initial exposure/revenue distributing to both Android and iOS, especially if you develop cross platform like most devs these days (Unity or similar). It's not like you're smacking Apple in the face.

Apple strongly cares about 1. Apple 2. Their customers

Developers are obviously important to Apple, but the first 2 are most important and that's obvious and understandable, as Apple strives to produce quality products with all of their hardware and try and deliver what their customers want.

So think of your business the same way. Be smart and make educated decisions and do what's best for your product and your company.