iPhone Spellcraft - Collectable Card Game - by Three Goblins Ltd

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by sladeums, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #361 Vovin, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013

It's because I logged in and magically healed the server.
    See, some units get healed when a particular creature enters the battlefield.
    Uhm, gonna go now, time for my pills. ;)

Tbh, as far as I know, there were quite some server problems with Apple. Steve was right wat he reported about the iCloud. The billing / purchase server acted strange over the holidays and some people reported GC/ iCloud problems, like very long login times. I guess that this was a problem with the GC server. Just strange that only the iPhones were subject to this problems. But who the heck knows? Everythings possible with computers.
    Oh, I just remember that I made a bigger backup to iCloud the day before yesterday and somehow, it took not only an eternity, the backup stopped somewhere in the middle and never finished. I first thought my Wifi was the problem. Anyway, it seems to work again and that's fine with me.

Btw., thanks for the nice welcome in this thread! I am looking forward to some nice battles now.
    Been a huge TCG/CCG player in the past, so I think that I should adapt to the SpellCraft system quickly.
    Hope so, at least.

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Still not working for me. But welcome Vovin

3. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    Thanks Vovin! :)

4. Carlos-Sz

Carlos-Sz Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2008
    I'll email you later about the translation. Thanks.

5. Lechatcurieux

Lechatcurieux Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    "See, some units get healed when a particular creature enters the battlefield.
    Uhm, gonna go now, time for my pills."

You'll fit in alright here!

Hey has anyone had the opponent pr0tech? Alexandra something in Game centre? I want her to come here so I've got another girl!

BTW Vovin it was the phones with the problem because for most of us the iPad is the primary device, so when you next log in on iPhone, that's the device that tries to get the updated info from the cloud.

Mines still not working but glad to hear everyone's is popping back into shape.

Scary thought though, I always imagine apple/cloud to be completely infallible and indestructible!....

6. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Oh and I looked at Magic:the gathering. Holy crap they have nearly a million people on the forum!! That's just plain greedy, can't we poach some of them and bring them over!!

7. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

I smell a soul mate.

8. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    Which perfectly illustrates my point about servers being expensive, not just in terms of money :p
    With all the cash, manpower, and good brains on their side, they still manage to have a problem like that: minor in absolute terms (iCloud definitely does not rank as critical system in my book, like - say - power plants or medical care); still not major in relative terms, as it was still available and working fine for many users; but with quite an impact for the affected customers, even to the point of rendering services (aka "playing Spellcraft") unavailable.

Now imagine our poor Goblins encountering a problem like that with their (hypothetical) own Spellcraft server...

9. Sheinfell

Sheinfell Well-Known Member

May 14, 2012
    Europe, CET timezone
    And a bit late to the party, but a warm welcome to all new faces from me as well :)

@Krossek & Vovin: What do you two think? Can we manage a German translation of the manual between us three? I don't have much time on my hands, and frankly do not like doing translation work because it is so tedious and takes quite the effort. But in this case I am willing to make an exception, also because the scope is rather limited.

10. Krossek

Krossek Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Germany
    Before asking me you better use an Internet translation service....:p

As LeChatCurieux said, your English is nearly perfect while mine is more pidgin :eek:

But if you need support I will do my very best although I don't have much time left besides my job. Just contact me

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Well, yeah, guess that should be possible. Did some app / appstore translation jobs before... even did something for the Space Miner developers.

12. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #372 Vovin, Jan 4, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    Oh well, I've read the manual yesterday evening (still trying to get the battle mechanics completely, the more advanced stuff) and played 3-4 games vs AI, which tore me apart 2 times (lost because I ran out of cards). I'll buy now a bit of gold and thry playing around with the cards to build my first decks.

This game looks like you have to rely on your deckbuilding and playing skills instead of having a bunch of rare cards and being undefeatable that way.

Is there iPhone 5 resolution support planned, btw?

13. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    I don't know about 5 support, they said an update is on the way but not sure what it includes yet.

You are right about the gameplay, doesn't matter how rare your cards are if your opponents tactics are better. Also, the order in which your cards are drawn has a big influence so the luck element is influential.

I remember running out of cards, always against the Forest AI when they stick the trees out and there's no way past them. If you want help building your deck then ask us.

As you gain levels the AI decks change too so you have to rebuild your decks accordingly. I found that all the cards I bought at level 20 never really got used again.

Tell us what faction you are favouring at the moment and we can tell you what cards your going to need.

It won't be long before you can crush any AI in under ten moves, that's when you start sniffing about for the 2 player challenges. Do you have any friends from your other games you can bring over? I need fresh meat :D

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #374 Vovin, Jan 4, 2013

Hehe, I already leveled up to apprentice today, seems as if I got the hang of it. That pesky Forest AI was one of the first I stomped into the ground... those "Burrowing Under" cards came in quite handy when the wall of trees stood. Was just a matter of 4-5 turns after that.

What I am exactly playing? Dunno... I am studying all the cards to see which factions I prefer. But I am clearly an evil one, hehe. Sacrifice and Death means nothing... for the Greater Cause. *demonic grin*

Fact, I threw a few bucks at the devs and bought three 40 card boosters and a few 10 card boosters to play around with.

Thanks very much for offering help, but I am learning faster to swim when jumping into the cold water myself... but be sure that I'll get back to you one day.

Maybe we can play a game later and you'll hand me my ass over?

Wow, this game could even beat my all-time favourite Spectromancer, because of the deckbilding stuff. Not even the new Magic games handle it that good. I like that "main faction plus help faction" rule.

15. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Would love to play later, add Lechatcurieux in game centre then request me any time you like.

Yes I can beat you, but there's no victory in that, I've played longer, had more gold, bought bigger cards.

Actually when I meet a new player in GC I generally try and use a more tactical deck rather than just smashing them to pieces which is just boring. That way, the other player gets to see some new tactics, the draw of the cards will greatly affect how strong I am, and therefore the match can be won by anyone.

I'll wait for the invite and get a deck activated that's not full of Giant sledgehammer types (and hope I don't get a request from other guys while I'm unarmed!).

I'll use Ocean with Forest backup, and then will switch to Forest with Purple back up, give you a chance to foresee what I'm going to try and do beforehand. It will be good practice.

See you in there!

16. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #376 Vovin, Jan 4, 2013

I threw some cards together, so here we go. Expecting a terrible defeat.

edit: as I expected. Ouch.
    But I saw what you did and didn't took a few things into account. Let me re-design my deck quickly... :)

17. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Well played V, when you get a minute, read a few pages back about pressing attack and THEN laying cards. Because your bats had quick they were killed in the same turn.

Your deck is very well balanced for an AI game, for a two player maybe you need a couple more big guys (or maybe you have and they wouldn't show up).

I'm going to change to a defensive deck of green with purple, invite me back if you want another x

18. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #378 Vovin, Jan 4, 2013

Ack. Painful, but good game, thanks! Thought I had you when you were down to 1 life. But since you're way more experienced, m'lady, I expected that you'll come up with some nasty stuff.

Well, at the moment, I am just testing. Not seriously building killer decks. I think that Underworld and Swamp suit my style of play well... but the combination is difficult to play sometimes.
    Swamp / Forest could be nice. Life and Death, as opposing forces, are strongly connected. Underworld and Fire should also be good.

Yeah, I noticed my mistakes already in the round after, when you were reacting. The bats are only good when you're really pressed or at the beginning of the game.

I'll tweak now some more. ;)

19. Lechatcurieux

Sep 12, 2012
    London
    Lol perfect example game of cards not turning up when you want them to, your 8/8 creature was slaughtering me and that lost card turned up and saved my bacon.

I notice you do throw a LOT of cards into your discard pile, now sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious, but I didn't realise for a while, you can lay those cards over cards you currently have on the board. If you have something better in your hand, lay it over something that's not doing the job.

Or maybe I was the only one who didn't get that straight away lol.

I'll tell you I had my ass clenched through all of it, surviving a whole game with just one life is highly uncomfortable haha x

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #380 Vovin, Jan 4, 2013

Uhm... put cards over cards? Well.... nobody told me... :confused:

Hey, just put a new deck together in one minute. You notice my constant struggle? Lol.
    Bitter loss anyway. But I have to remember that "save my bacon" saying. *makes mental note*
    Ok, another note for myself: when designing a swarm deck, always put things to blow up little things in.

One last sorry: I have to get used to that damn "End Turn" button! I always thought when I commence an attack, turn ends. Was at least like that in Magic.

I am away for a short while now, but I am really looking forward to some weekend games. :)

The game just needs a simple messaging / chat function, like in Carcassonne.