Popular JB piracy app shuts down.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by MidianGTX, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
  2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #22 psj3809, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
    Dont get me wrong i LOVE emulators and retro gaming. BUT on iOS are you going to buy the games from Namco or Midway or Dot-Emu ? If you jailbreak you've got those games on your emulators, would you honestly hand on your heart then buy these games for 2 or 3 dollars each when you already have them for free?

Many many people wouldnt. So emulators alone have cost legitimate companies money as people have jailbroken emulators and tons of roms on their device.

I love emulators, thats one thing i really miss and i would honestly buy any game i could. Eg i have iMAME when it went on the app store for a few days in 2011, however when any arcade games such as Tapper/Raiden Legacy/Metal Slug and others turn up i 100% buy them to support the devs. I wish we had more legal arcade (MAME) style games that i can buy.

As a kid emulators were great, now i've got a job/money/want to be legit i want to buy all these old games so the devs get some money from these re-releases.

But please dont kid yourself and think 'i'll only play emulators' on a jailbroken device is okay, a lot of companies (Such as Dotemu) would lose money as you then wont buy the legal version (Okay maybe you would but most wouldnt)

And as someone else pointed out apps are SOOO cheap anyway i'm surprised people jailbreak. I love emulators and i would LOVE a Gameboy emulator on my ipod, then again i have so many great iOS games/apps i probably wouldnt have time to play all of them anyway.

I want iOS to do well so i tend to buy buy apps all the time

3. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    So wait... You think I should get rid of jail breaking and that way my buttons? I have broken home and lock button and I shouldn't use activator to replace my lock and home button with different actions of volume buttons(press both for home etc.)?

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I was jailbroken back on my old Touch 2G, but I've been clean for years now. It feels so much better not having all that random code floating about on my devices. Sure, people like emulators, but each and every one of them is better on PC, and it's not too much of a sacrifice to limit yourself to the thousands of App Store games available.

5. Andy C83

Andy C83 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Over the Rainbow
    They say confession is good for the soul, so...

I've used the said app once and only once... to download an app that I had already previously paid for on the App Store. (Yes, I'm that hardcore). :p

I'm no longer jailbroken since upgrading to 6.0.1 and apart from losing my cool Nintendo boot up logo I couldn't be happier.

Boy, that felt good. :p

6. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    #26 x999x, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    I love emulation, but how many times do you honestly expect anyone to buy the same game over and over again on different platforms? Moreover, what about games that will NEVER come out on the platform, like Donkey Kong?

I have bought Donkey Kong over 17 times on multiple systems more than once. I have spent at over $100 doing so, not to mention over $300 in quarters and another $700 on a REAL CABINET. I literally own the shhht outta that game.

Regarding Dot Emu, I have also bought all their Metal Slug remakes... Why? Because they trounce the Mame/Final Burn versions hands down.

The fact is, there ARE users out there who only do emulation, and thats all I ever had on my JB device other than MyWi and My3G which save me from having to lose my unlimited data plan.

Pirated iOS apps are pointless, you just have to sit on your hands waiting for cracked updates when you can get it hot off the press for less than the price of a cup of coffee.

7. Teknikal

Teknikal Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Male
    Belfast N Ireland
    My opinion on emulators is they are mainly there for nostalgia and keeping the games alive for example how many old amiga games can you actually buy now. Sure there are some ports but they aren't really the original like speedball 2 the amiga version trashes the IOS/Android version has a better soundtrack and was far more fun in 2 player. The remakes quite good but just doesn't nail it perfectly.

As much as I like to see remakes of games I liked they never seem to live up to the originals and the percentage of games that even see a remake are probably less than 1%.

8. MystikSun

MystikSun Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I'll tell you straight out. I used to pirate games. All my friends did it, so why didn't I have the right to? Obviously I realized it was wrong since I'm posting this here, so I used iTunes gift cards from Christmas and my birthday to buy it all back.

I'm actually glad that hackulo got shut down. It was a terrible place, really.

As for those that hate jailbreaking, there's nothing wrong with it (jailbreaking). At one point Congress (for all those in the US) announced that it was legal, right? The main purpose of jailbreaking was to help iDevices break away from the bars that Apple set on their devices, like theming, button shortcuts, SBSettings, etc. Unfortunately, many people hear more about piracy as a result of jailbreaking mainly because the greed of people has caused piracy to be the spotlight of the process.

Emulators. I still use emulators since it's easy to obtain one on Android. I own most of the games I play on them from my childhood. However, I have lost most of them, and don't really want to spend the time to look for them considering how messy my room always was. I know it's not right, but I blame the game companies (cough. Nintendo and their first party franchises) for expecting us to buy old systems that aren't even in production anymore and buy old games regardless if a person used to own them or not. Now, if the popular games were ported to mobile phones, then I would definitely jump to buy them. I appreciate companies like SEGA porting Sonic over to us though.