No replys to Thread about up coming game.

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by App Pilot, Nov 5, 2010.

1. App Pilot

App Pilot Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #1 App Pilot, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    Hey guys,

I realise it may be a bit premature, but I was just wondering why I haven't had any replies in the Upcoming games section about my new game (Toxic BOOM) . Usually I wouldn't think its a big deal as its still early but my thread is now on the 2nd page and some of the other posts seem to have responses in as quick as 10 minutes.

Thanks guys :) ,

EDIT : The original thread can be found here http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=72138

2. blacksmith games

blacksmith games Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2009
    because there are no zombies ;-) .... hmm you really need better graphics. Further if i look at the screenshots i don't know what to do in this game. Would be better if you had started the thread earlier and let some users beta test your game. So you will get more feedback to make your game better and automatically you will get more replies ;-)

3. App Pilot

App Pilot Member

Nov 4, 2010
    I knew I should have taken that route ;)

Yeah the graphics in the video do look a little blurry but the banner at the top that thread is a better representation, unless you didn't like that?

That's one of my regrets that I didn't make a thread earlier but at least theres still a little time before Apple approve it. Any thoughts for some damage control? Maybe delay the release?

Thanks.

4. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    welcome to the overcrowded app store! Long and short of it is, we are at a point now where apps are like flash games - that is, there are such an overabundance of them popping up nearly moment-to-moment, that unless you have something particularly attention grabbing, then people won't take the time to click on your thread, much less say something positive (or even negative) about it.

in a forum like this, when a no-name dev posts about a game, there needs to be SOME Kind of interesting tagline right in the topic. No one knows who you are, or what your game is about. I made the same mistake too when I posted about my 2nd game (just the game title, no description). No responses at all, then I went back and started editing it. Once you attract a little bit of a crowd, people will say "hmm what's up, other people are looking at this/posting in here, soooo..."

that's the first challenge. Second is having screenshots/video. You do "have" both of those, but neither are compelling. Hold what you've got up against any above-average game already being talked about on the forum. Look at it objectively rather than subjectively - does my app look at least as visually engaging? never mind what the game plays like, just consider the aesthetics at this point. Have you shelled out for an artist to do your graphics, or is it just "programmer art?" The audience will key onto this in ONE SECOND. If the game does not look like anything special, than most people won't even bother to read the description.

These days you have to consider presentation above everything else. Icon design, app name, screenshots, tagline. If all else fails, kick in with some odd/interesting promotion to get the ball rolling, and hype that up right in the thread title. It's definitely a proud feat to get an app developed and built and actually approved by Apple, but that novelty is long worn off and there is so much noise to compete with. See if you've got what it takes to stand out among the rest!!

EDIT: a link to your thread is HERE. You should do this when you make a post like this, because most people won't bother to hunt for it (especially when it gets buried)

5. App Pilot

App Pilot Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Thanks for a great response headcaseGames , I've edited my first post to include the link.

I made the graphics as good as I could but even if I had an artist available I wouldn't really know what ideas to give him, I have no problems looking into this some more if you think its worth it?

6. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Well, the reality is that there is some incredible competition these days. There are tons of high profile games always on the horizon, and even many great looking indie games always looming. As a game dev, you have to be very honest with yourself if you want to have success... compare your game to some of the other games with lots of views and responses, and honestly, how does yours compare?

For one, I just didn't want to have to read through that much of a description to understand how your game works. In a puzzle game it should be VERY clear what you have to do almost instantly imo (see cut the rope or angry birds, where the entire game is clearly described via the screenshots with short blurbs). By your screenshots I had no clue what type of game it was or even what you were supposed to do.

Also, imo the graphics lack personality. Remember, your game may be the most fun game in the world, but that won't matter if you can't get people to play it in the first place. How do you do this? Mainly with high quality presentation and great/stylized graphics. Graphics don't make a game, sure, but they definitely are the first step in getting people excited about your game.

The other thing to note is that this is a gaming forum and website. Most of the people on here seem to be actual "gamers" in one form or the other, and seem to generally be more interested in more "gamer-type" games, if that makes sense. The difficulty with making casual games is that there is no one central place where you can go market your game like you can with more "gamery" games. I mean heck, just look at which threads have good success and which don't. Your game really has to look good or have some incredibly unique spin on it (a spin that is easy to communicate though -- this is key) in order to get attention on these forums.

That being said, TA still is a good barometer for how your game will fair in the wild. Honestly, if you have no thread responses, <1000 youtube views, and generally no buzz, then so far all the evidence points to people just not being that interested in the game in its current form (of course there is still a chance to do well, but it will basically rely solely on an apple feature).

7. App Pilot

App Pilot Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Thanks Foursaken_Media you all make a good point,

Are there any recommendations on an artist you think might suitable for this project?

I want to try and get the graphics revamped as soon as possible :)

I really appreciate all you guys giving such detailed responses, especially to someone you have never met before :)

8. FancyFactory

FancyFactory Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2009
    software development
    Germany
    To be honest, I have no clue what's your game about. Even after watching the video. But please don't get me wrong! There is simply much space for improvement.

Lets take the current state as a prototype: you have your code finished and the game is working. Now it's time for a lot eyecandy! As most programmers have no artistic skills (like me ;)) you need to find a skilled artists. I think a colorfull, cartoonish look may suite your game well.
    The problem with artists is: they dont work for free, at least the good one. So you will have to invest some bucks. But a fantastic artwork is the most important thing about your game as this is what the people will see at first...and decide if they like it or not. The same goes for the games icon.

My advise: stop the current appstore submission, revise all the graphics, make some buzz in the forums and the submit again. You may find talented artists here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12
    In particular I suggest this guy: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=41439

Good luck!

9. App Pilot

App Pilot Member

Nov 4, 2010
    FancyFactory:

Thanks very much I have took your advice and contacted the artist you recommended and also made a new thread here:

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=72285

Thanks for being so honest guys, you've done me a lot more good by pointing out where I've gone wrong rather than just saying its good enough only for me to find out the hard way :)

I'll keep you guys up to date and will try and will do my best to get the graphics up to scratch as soon as possible.

10. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Yeah, I agree with the guys above. The graphics aren't really attractive.

What stopped me from replying was that I didn't really bother to view the video. It didn't seem like my type of game.

I think a few more screenshots would attract more people instead of a video. Those that are just "roaming" and do not want to watch a video would prefer glancing at a few screenshots.

Hope that helps! :)

11. App Pilot

App Pilot Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Thanks kohjingyu, it does help a lot :)

I'm working on finding a decent artist at the moment, once I've done that I'll get better screen shots posted :)

Thanks for your input.

12. gammabeam

gammabeam Well-Known Member

#12 gammabeam, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    I also created a topic for my game on the upcoming games forum yesterday and experienced the same thing. (Cannon Land: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=72286)

So far, 96 views on the topic, but no reply.
    Sure feels bad, I'd love to see some comment! :p

I'm not worried though: I'm pretty sure there was no reply yet because I haven't posted any screenshots or gameplay trailers, which will be ready in 2-3 weeks.

As for Toxic Boom, I think the other users are right: You need to explain the game with the screenshots/mockups! I can't say I loved the art, but I don't think it would keep me from buying it. But then again, I'm a puzzle fanatic, and ou should focus on a broader target!

Good luck!

Edit:
    Also, I must add that, of those 96 views, only 4 clicked on the link to visit the website. ;)

13. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    #13 MidianGTX, Nov 7, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
    @gammabeam

I just had a look. The game sounds like the sort of thing I would buy, but like you said without screenshots or videos it's hard to get excited just yet. I'm sure you'll get a bunch of replies once you post some.

14. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    gammabeam, app pilot - honestly with all the noise in the "main forums," I would never have noticed your posts. Maybe because I am a developer I hang out in this subforum a lot, but because of this "help me" topic I am now aware of both of your games.

Cannon Land art looks awesome btw!! I love the ren + stimpy inspired look, will definitely keep an eye on it! The actual name itself is one of those things that sounds very bland, but combined with good screens/icon/etc could swing the other way.

15. Just to add my own recent experience to things, I initially found that it was a real uphill battle, getting people to notice our game (Bouncer Boot Out, if anyone is interested).
    This really came down to a few very obvious things to me:
    1)Our first trailer was freaking boring.

2)In the initial post there was explanation of the game but no explanation of the game mechanics. I put too much stock in just assuming people would read and take the few seconds out to check out the video and see what the gameplay was like.

3)We're not making a zombie-this or a ninja-that game. It's intended to be casual and sold for $0.99. So it's also not some sort of augmented reality/3D rendered/amazing spectacle that will blow you away! Don't get me wrong, I think it looks great, but it is a 2D game with a very broad audience in mind.

4)This is our first iOS game. We have no established brand and nothing else to hook people with. I did, however, know that was going to be an issue going into this so it didn't concern me too much.

All in all, I have to say I'm pretty happy with how the thread has turned out now but it took a lot of mistakes to get it to that point.

16. App Pilot

App Pilot Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Finally Finished!!

Woot!

I've now finished the grapics overhaul of Toxic Boom , thanks so much guys for all your great adivce :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Check out this new thread for for more info.

I'll also be giving away promos to all the guys who helped out ( see above link)

Thanks guys!

17. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well thats quite a difference..

this is an good example how an artist can actualy help make a game better.

well its look alot better than before, good luck with your sales.

18. App Pilot

App Pilot Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #18 App Pilot, Nov 27, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
    @mr.Ugly
    Thanks very much I really appreciate it :) , it was actually a last minute thing to add the HD iPad version but I'm really pleased with how everything turned out :)

19. lazypeon

lazypeon Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

I had really good success with a beta. My beta testers pretty much did the work for me of posting in the upcoming thread, discussing the game, and generating interest.

20. App Pilot

App Pilot Member

Nov 4, 2010
    @lazypeon

Thats a great tip, I was lucky enough to have a lot of friends and family willing to help but I can see the advantages to getting more neutral people to help.

I'll definately do this in the future :)