Universal Virtua Tennis Challenge (By Sega)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abxhkg

abxhkg New Member

Jul 8, 2012
    Game Impressions

Have to agree with the above, there are some games it seems the AI will not allow you to win...also just now I noticed something odd. I just won the LA championship and won a 1000 points, but my points actually went down. I had 45343 points before and now I have 44990....

2. Hrage

Hrage Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Looking for a good tennis game for my iphone. Question though it seems the iphone 4 is having trouble running it? Is it worth it to play on the iphone 4?

3. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Initially I put up with it, but I just gave up. The framerate is just so god-awful...ended up deleting it. As far as I'm concerned, if your only option is an iPhone 4, don't bother.

4. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    I don't think so. I deleted it rather quickly. I recommend Cross Court Tennis for your device. See what you think, bud!

5. banger1103

banger1103 Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Have the issues been fixed for older devices? Curious cause it's on sale for 2.99

6. grinal

grinal Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Wow.. I like tennis. I will buy this game..

7. heffdog116

heffdog116 Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    South Florida
    Was this game ever fixed? This was my favorite on dreamcast growing up

8. Well, the question is what device you have. If you have an iphone 4 or older, the framerates are pretty bad.

On my new ipad 3, it is passable, and I would highly recommend, it is a really fun game and well made, and I am a 5.5 advanced tennis player.

If you have an iphone 5 or ipad 4, I heard it was running really well. I am not sure on an ipad 2 or ipad mini, so maybe someone can post how it runs on theirs.

But on my new ipad, it runs great. Make sure you are on ios 6.0.1 not ios 6.0 cause the framerates got a lot better I upgraded.

9. PraetorianX

PraetorianX Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    Running it on Mini and experience is far from fluid... Really tiny, but noticeable slowdowns here and there. Deleted again:(

10. djiwai

djiwai Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    I don't get it, I own VTC, and never have I witnessed any of the flaws you're all talking about on the iphone 4; framerate is nice and allows satisfying tennis sessions, only slows down a little when there are cutscenes like when winning a point, or at the beginning of a match; on the other hand, I can't really tell about music stopping, as I usually don't play with sound at all. I'm jailbroken and I tweaked my phone so that some daemons aren't running anymore (no spotlight, no voiceover, etc etc), maybe that explains it ?

11. dnk

dnk Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Game Impressions

The graphics and animations are great, but they're not optimised for recent iPhones.

Controls seem good as well at first, until it starts to do its own thing rather than correctly translating our input. Switching to other control modes won't help as the gamepad and virtual buttons are beyond horrible.

Worst of all, the game is rigged. You can't upgrade your stats or strengths while your rival is superhuman, especially in finals.

After countless rematches, I've finally managed to be #1, but even now it's almost always impossible to beat the atomic forehand. I mean, seriously, what the f is atomic forehand? Why can't I choose atomic counter or atomic defense or atomic laser beam? It's ridiculous.

I initially thought it was just me and that I missed something, but reading all reviews in the appstore, it's obvious everyone thinks the game is rigged. Which is plain weird as they don't even have IAP to push players spending more money.

Still, it's understandable people get excited over 'virtua tennis in your pocket' kind of thing. There aren't too many tennis games in the appstore as well so it looks better than it really is.

12. Anyone out there with a new device like the air, 5s, or mini retina?

How's the game running?

Even on an ipad 4 there are some slight framerate issues like the ipad 3.

How's this like on the newest gen of 64 bit cpus?

13. princekc22

princekc22 New Member

Feb 13, 2014
    ios 7.0.5

works well without lag...
    theran is just annoying, i only reached level 30 on duels.
    rank1 on my tour tho =)

14. kryzariq

kryzariq New Member

Apr 13, 2014
    hi.. i just bought this game. But unfortunate i cant play this game after download n reinstall this game..anyone know how to overcome this problem on my iphone 5 ios 7.1???

15. shankar

shankar Active Member

Sep 18, 2009
    Playing quick games on my iPhone 5s running 8.1.3 and things work fine

16. db4

db4 New Member

Dec 15, 2015
    iPhone 6S Plus Virtua Tennis

I bought this game and it skips frames a lot, never really smooth. Can anyone confirm they have the same - I am hoping it is just that the game is poorly coded for newer devices (and not that I have some kind of hardware issue). Would be very grateful if somebody who owns the game can report back.

The odd thing is all the cutscenes are fine, but the gameplay itself and menus lag a lot.

17. Jamesrooney27

Jamesrooney27 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    Male
    Uk
    This game been released in 2012 and not been update since 2013 so this game bound to be bit buggy. I'm surprise that it would work for new device not play it since my older device :)

18. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA