What mode of monetization should i go with my Free to Play game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by frolicode, Dec 13, 2013.

?

Which would you prefer in a free game?

Poll closed Jan 2, 2014.
  1. Free game with Ads displayed

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Free game with In App Purchases

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  1. frolicode

frolicode Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Founder & CEO of Frolicode Games
    India
    Hello Friends. We are going to launch a free game for IOS and Android in the next two months and there is a lot of discussion among us if we should focus on displaying ads in our games or implementing In App Purchases.

What is your opinion on this....would you like to play a game with Ads or In App Purchases?

2. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

This should probably be moved to general discussion but to answer your question, personally I prefer premium/paid but if it must be free, there's really no clear it answer. I don't mind ads if they're unobtrusive, don't pop up during gameplay, and can be removed with IAP. I don't mind IAP if it's there to help the impatient gamer and exploiting the player with unfarly prices

And I hate anything with timers

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    1. Put in ads.
    2. Add in timers.
    3. Make it very grindy.
    4. Add IAP to REMOVE ads and timers.
    5. Add IAP for a currency TRIPLER.

4. frolicode

Sep 18, 2013
    India
    Nicely explained.....understood :)

5. frolicode

Sep 18, 2013
    India
    a lot of people go with paid apps.....

I have been asking this question to a lot of people and the general consensus is that we should release paid apps....if thats the general consensus then why is that its so difficult to sell paid apps....i mean free games get downloaded in huge numbers and by sheer volume get a huge amount of revenue...

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I prefer paid apps, then again theres so many runner/Angry Bird clones which dont offer anything special.

But yes its crazy how people moan about the price of games (which are cheap) but instead seem to buy lots of IAP's which cost far more than paid apps !

If you are working on a game please create a thread to show people in 'upcoming' and then once its out you can have a thread in the normal ipod games section

7. frolicode

Sep 18, 2013
    India
    I think free games allow people the flexibility to choose which game they would like to pay for....download a game for free....play it and then if u like it...pay for it :)

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Free games are good if theyre like 'shareware', eg download a game for free, get some levels free, if you like it then pay to unlock it but those games seem quite rare.

A freemium game isnt good (in my eyes) but i know they're popular

9. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    If this is your first release I highly recommend being free, because otherwise you're unknown and no one will actually buy your app. But if it's free, it's free, and anyone can try it.

The reason we all like paid apps is because when there is an app from a Dev that we like or simply an app with huge popularity and it's free, then it gets rather annoying.

Take GunnerZ for example. Many loved Lili and it sold well, and they make good high quality games, but they made GunnerZ free. That turned a game that would otherwise be very good and enjoyable into a grindy timerfest. Which we don't like.

10. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    So I think free with ads and an IAP to remove them is the favorites route around here. Maybe removable timers by the same IAP as well.

11. frolicode

Sep 18, 2013
    India
    I understand what you are saying...i personally as well dont like the games which force me to pay up money to win....

12. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

That's the weird and unfortunate dichotomy of the App Store, or maybe it seems that way because of the vocal majority here on Toucharcade. Unless it's free to try with a full game unlock or true free to play like Deadly Bullet or pre-update Beat Leap, I have no patience for freemium titles

I'll gladly support a developer who releases a paid game, because 1) I feel it takes a certain amount of confidence and trust in your game to release a paid app amidst the looming landscape of IAP-heavy and freemium titles on the App Store and 2) I just like having the full experience up front, uninterpreted with ads or timers or needed to grind incessantly to make any kind of progress thanks to progression flow designed around buying currency packs.

Sadly I think the mindset is only shared among the hardcore gamers on forums such TA, NeoGAF, and other IOS centric communities, while the general public will always gravitate towards the free games and buying IAP. Of course, there are success stories as well, just look at Badland.

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Why would you buy a tripler if it's still going to be grindy? That's a x3 multiplier, you should already "feel" how the tripler will affect the game while playing without it.

Also, if it does happen that eventually a tripler still makes things grindy, then the game is better deleted for some dessert recipe apps.

14. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    Ads with iap to remove them.

or much much better, just set a price and don't make it free. If it's a good game it'll sell. I've no problems with paying for decent games.