Universal ORC: Vengeance - (by Chillingo Ltd.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Jul 25, 2012.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Didn't see that. But you would think a game published by a large enough company like Chillingo that they would have tested it on a 3GS before putting it out and list it among compatible devices.

Anyway, for Dan's sake, I thought I'd mention that I've tried a bunch of different things. I deleted and reinstalled the game. Still crashed at the bats.

I found that there was a "Core FX" setting. I turned it off. Still crashed at the bats.

Then I tried something that allowed me to get a bit further. IGNORE THE BATS. I managed to get to a checkpoint where there were a bunch of skeletons, fairly hectic battling and even leveled up. I ran to the end of the first section to "escape".

Then when starting the next chapter. There were more bats. Decided I try taking a swing. Sure enough...it crashed! Not sure what it is about the bats, but they sure don't like my 3GS!!!

Don't think this is going to be a plausable work around (to just run away from bats). Not sure how many there are in the game or if it'll just end up crashing on a different enemy type. It's just strange that even using special attacks against skeletons...everything runs smoothly. But bats...well, they've killed the game for me.

Dan, hope you guys can find out what's going on with them. Please! Game seems great otherwise.

2. PCKid

PCKid Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2008
    Game Player
    Western Australia
    This an excellent game. On my iPad 3 it's very smooth. Have encountered a minor bug. On the Storm Keep level shortly before going under an arch to the final battle before The Guardian portal the character got stuck. I could see a green vial but couldn't touch it. The screen did not respond to anything as far as the character movement but I could access the Pause button and all the choices there. I selected Main Menu and then was brought back to that point and all was well but the green vial was gone. Screen is a bit dark even on full brightness. A slider like in PC games would be handy. Also doesn't seem to be any way of just exiting the shop other than back to Main Menu and then carry on from there. A close cross in the corner would be handy. It's also a bit too easy so far. But it's still hugely enjoyable.

3. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    I'm kind of burned out on hack n slash RPGs, but I got sucked into this game and ended up playing it for hours. It's very polished and looks great. Highly recommended.

4. regkilla

regkilla Well-Known Member

iPod Touch and iPhone 3GS users...

UPGRADE TO AN iPHONE 4 or iPHONE 4S!

5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    4S? Sure. 4? lolno. Thing is feeling more and more outdated by the day.

6. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    Glib advise dispensers...

Give me the money!

7. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    While that would be nice, I've got a ways to go on my contract to get a discounted price on one. Honestly, my 3GS still holds up pretty well to 99% of the games I buy/play.

BTW, I ended up just running past all the bats early in the game and am playing it with no issues since then. Defeated the first boss, am level 7 and currently on "The Guardian" chapter. Know I probably missed out on a good bit of gold during those first few chapters, but just glad I'm currently past the crashes. We'll see how it goes from here.

Only other issue I've had is that it sometimes doesn't seem to want to let me drag a certain skill to be mapped.

Gotta go get some sleep...my wife would kill me if she knew I was up this late playing games...

8. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Game Impressions

Hmm, this is another one of those games that I didn't expect or wasn't looking forward to, but that game play video sold it for me. I think we may have a new winner for favorite iOS game (that isn't a port of a older PC game) this year :) Great controls on my iPad, it looks incredible, sure there could be more things to put on, but so far I am liking what I can get so far. And I seem to get enough gold that I really don't have to get IAP, so that's nice. And even if I did, the prices aren't that bad.

Anyways, I've been waiting for a good Diablo-style dungeon crawler on iOS, and this is definitely my favorite (only played through one chapter so far, though).

9. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Btw...I must say iCloud save share is REALLY well implemented.
    It's so well implemented it's absolutely seamless...I didn't noticed anything (loading, screens, nothing) but I can go back and forth from iPhone and iPad seamlessy.

THIS is the way to go, kudos!

10. Cyberniskos

Cyberniskos Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Game Impressions

As I see many people who criticize this game before having even played with it, I find myself compelled to give a few words for it.

First, it's a dungeon crawler, a Diablo like, so there's not much to expect else than bashing monsters and collecting loot, but it's not a real surprise. If you don't like this kind of game, you won't change your mind. There's even a story, not a very original one but developped with books and such.

For the rest, I think it's a surprisingly good game, especially for the small amount of 3$ I paid for it.

It's beautiful, not only in the details but also in the animations, when skeletons crawl from a grate...It runs very smoothly on my iPad2.

I love the touch controls, completely unobstrusive and mainly precise. Far better than a dpad - but it's only my opinion -.

The iap seem useless since the game is pretty generous with gold, I'll probably buy some anyway because I think I haven't paid enough for such a polished game.

So, congratulations to the team for such a great game.

11. robertjan88

robertjan88 Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Just downloaded the game and really like it. Especially the graphics. A few things though:

How to equip stuuff from your inventory. Double nor single click on a better shield works...

Add a normal save function. The checkpoint save is just to falsly increase the duration of the game....specially when you need to stop playing after 10-15 min you need to start over again. This sucks!

What do the stats do?

Please add the possibility to change the controls. No issue with the point it click but I really like the joystick above this.

In the current state I would give it a 7.

12. Mhunt190

Mhunt190 Well-Known Member

May 27, 2012
    USA
    LOVE the game but... I also am looking foward to infinty blade dungons. I think infinty blade will deffently have the better graphics

13. BluePaladin

BluePaladin Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Spain
    Game crashes everytime after attacking a bat. (ipad 2 iOS 5.1.1):confused:

A developer comment on this would be great.

14. Brrobotix

Brrobotix Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2011
    Under your bed
    @robert

Equip gear by dragging it on to your character. Attack and defense are self explanatory, greed gives you more gold in drops and better shop prices, vengeance upgrades "mana", allowing you to do more special attacks. All of this was in the tutorial.

I agree about the joystick though. The whole walking and then double tapping to autorun is pretty annoying. I wish you could just turn off walking, there's really no reason for it. And I keep activating my special moves by trying to run, which is extremely annoying. Hope this gets fixed soon.

15. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Auto run is not a double tap, but otherwise I agree with the above. There should be an Always Run option. Autorun can't be "steered" as far as I can tell, making it rather useless.

16. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Glad to hear that it's not just 3GS owners having the problem with this. Hopefully, Dan will let us know if they can do something about it.

As I mentioned earlier, you can just try to plow through those early chapters and not attack any bats. I haven't seen a bat in a while and it's running fine otherwise.

17. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    When Rok is running, tap anywhere and he will run there.
    Once I got used to the system, it works well enough, imo.

18. Dan@Chillingo

Dan@Chillingo Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2012
    The developers are now aware of this. Gonna try get to the bottom of it ASAP for you. In the meantime I can suggest just making sure all other apps are closed to avoid memory issues.

19. GSJ1977

GSJ1977 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2012
    Thanks for the tip, that helps. But... the other problems remain: walking serves no apparent purpose, and it's too easy to trigger a gesture when attempting to start auto running.

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    I'm at the end of Act 1...technically the game really delivers.
    Surely one of the best visual/aureal experience on iOS (rain and lighting are damn good)....maybe a bit monochrome but it's damn good.

I wonder when difficulty picks up tough...it sufferes from the Dungeon Hunter syndrome...tap...kill....tap....quaff potion (in this case, wait to regenerate), tap tap tap tap, rinse and repeat.
    This game could be so great and much more engaging if only difficulty was harder: I do not ask for Diablo 3 nightmare difficulty...but the key (at least for me) is always have a sense of danger....which I hadn't at all yet (I have hopes tough for act 2).

Some things I would like to have changed:

1) Always been fond of tap to walk controls...I too feel a virtual stick could be a better experience.
    2) Rok is damn slow. The run thing doesn't work for me...I have to tap to change direction constantly even in straight lines. Run by default would be better...or speed up things.
    3) Auto gold picking up...I'm constantly tapping back and forth to loot the gold...it's annoying....the fact that I tap for gold in the middle of a fight (not to come back later) is indicative of the sense of dunger I got so far.
    Another option is to have WAY LESS gold drops, but bigger.
    I know it's typical...but I hate spiders that drops gold.

Don't get me wrong, I really like the game...but I do hope it becomes harder and more immersive...it really delivers in every other compartement.