iPhone 4 is dead

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Anonomation, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

#1 Anonomation, Sep 17, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
    I'm done finding all these games that I cant play because of hardware limitations...
    With the release of iOS 8 tomorrow, which doesn't have iphone 4 support, it's even more a problem now!
    Is there really ANYTHING that runs DECENTLY on iPhone 4?
    I'm really done, don't know about anyone else, but I play asphalt 8 on this thing, it's borderline horrible but playable.

Anyway I'm happy to have an iphone at all, but by now I kind of jumped on the train too late.

2. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    Rocking iPhone 4 as well. I'm hoping that once the 6 and 6+ come out that the 16 GB 5S will drop to $99.

3. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    The iPhone 4 was a great phone, and it had a long run. 4 years of support, 4 years of major software updates... nothing lasts forever.

I loved the iPhone 4, but the world moves on. The performance difference between modern devices and the iPhone 4 is just a little too much to expect Apple to deal with. Not to mention developers - you'd be hard pressed to find a developer who doesn't hate Apple's continued support for the iPhone 4 with a passion.

4. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Star Realms works great.

Upcoming Galactic Keep Dice Battles plays fine.

Jetpack Joyride?

Lots of good stuff still runs. :eek:

5. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    From a developer's point of view, the big challenge of the iPhone4 is the fill rate problems.

Compared to its predecessor, the 3GS, it got 4x the number of pixels as it switched to a retina display, but the graphics processor was only a little bit faster. This means it's always a challenge to make sure the frame-rate isn't being limited by the GPU work.

It's a shame, because in every other respect it's a very good device.

I'm also hoping to upgrade to a 2nd hand Phone5 or iPhone5S in a few weeks to take advantage of all the iPhone6 buyer's hand-me-downs.

6. Planetman

Planetman Well-Known Member

May 3, 2014
    hate

I hate waiting weeks for price drops

7. IanParks

IanParks Member

Sep 19, 2014
    What about my iPad1? :(

8. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    You're stronger than I am. I found my 4s to be a struggle for the past year. I could never have coped with an iPhone 4.

9. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    I don't own a phone, but if I ever decided to buy one, this is what I would do too.