How do I make my game trailer?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Santillo, Aug 22, 2011.

1. Santillo

Santillo Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    #1 Santillo, Aug 22, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
    All of my touch arcaders,

A trailer for any iOs or video game, finish the half of tasks of developer for marketing that game.

Now a days, most of the well-known gaming companies is going through this way & make trailer for their game. However the game is, A trailer can make huge impression before & after release about particular game.

There arises many companies who make trailer for any video game for the developer by charging a high fees.

The main point of my thread is: I want to make a trailer like "Angry Birds" and other popular games for my own game by myself without spending huge money to the trailer company.

HOW IT POSSIBLE?
    WHAT SOFTWARE SHOULD I USE?
    WHAT METHOD SHOULD MAKE IT EASY?

All appropriate suggestions is most welcome.:)
    Thanks.

2. nantas

nantas Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Designer at aBitGames Studio
    Xiamen
    Angry Birds like trailer takes hundreds of hand drawn animation frames. And you need to be a good artist/animator to get people attracted.

The real cost efficient way of making a trailer is:
    1) Use mainly gameplay footage and text animations to get your point acrossed
    2) Check out online animation creating services like this
    http://goanimate.com/

But either way there's no magic trick. You need to put in a lot of work to do it without the help of some agencies. I think Final Cut X is a good software to get the video editing done.

3. Santillo

Santillo Well-Known Member

May 3, 2011
    Thank You So much for your valuable suggestion! :)

4. Emeric

Emeric Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2010
    I understand your budget for your trailer is 0$ right?

The thing is, if you have absolutely no experience in video editing, I don't really know if your trailer is going to be any good for your game. Making a trailer requires expertise, that's why the company charge a fee for that.

Anyway, when I want to make a video of the game, I record the game using DisplayRecorder (an app) then edit the footage using iMovie (very simple and efficient video editing software).

5. Vetasoft

Vetasoft Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2010
    We do Trailer services for low cost

http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=97321

Emeric is right, if you didn't have any experience in video editing, you will lose a lot of time and effort

If you want a trailer like Angry Birds, you will also need lot of works from your artist and you will also need software like: Adobe Premier,Adobe Photoshop AND Adobe After Effect.

If you have thoses three softwares, you can make a trailer like angry bird. But without any experience, you can do nothing special.

6. pchukwura

pchukwura Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2010
    Co-Founder/Software Engineer
    Atlanta
    I made one of the trailers for Goop this time around (and went cheap with the other), and it was a TON of work for so-so results.

I've learned that pretty much all the tools i've tried (including iMovie) didin't provide me with even the video quality I wanted. My next title will definitely have the video made by an expert.

7. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    #7 Luke Kellett, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
    While I agree that getting an expert to make a video for you will probably product the best results, don't be discouraged from doing it yourself and saving yourself money if you don't have any to spend.

You've obviously put a lot of time and effort into making a game, and there is no reason why you can't make a promo video yourself.

I've used iMovie for this sort of thing before, and while it is fairly basic you can get some really good video out of it very easily.

Some tips
    • Pick a few game promo videos you like and create an idea template form
    • Use a good backing music track
    • Keep the video under 60 seconds
    • Each scene should be 5-7 seconds MAX to keep the viewers attention
    • If recording with a video camera make sure you have PLENTY of natural light
    • Use text messages to explain things, preferrably between scenes and not over the scenes (my preference anyways)
      them
    • Keep things simple and have fun!

8. UNAgames

UNAgames Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2010
    To capture retina display video for the trailer, anyone use dedicated hardware? I though to buy DVI2USB, but its declared capture frame rate is too wide: 15-60 fps.

9. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm not sure there is any dedicated hardware you can capture the screen with?

But I know you can use software if you jailbreak your device and use ScreenRecorder.

10. bella10388

bella10388 New Member

Aug 25, 2011

I also think so.

11. kcpediredla

kcpediredla New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Screen recording software

Isnt there any screen recording software to record the actual gameplay. Not jail broken applications!

12. Luke Kellett

Jun 7, 2011
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm pretty sure there isn't hence posting the J/B app... I think to do it the app must use private API calls which Apple frowns upon.

But I really really would like to be proven wrong!