New Company

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Lukearcade22, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Lukearcade22

Lukearcade22 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    Student/Young Video Game Developer
    United Kingdom
    Ok, i have decided to create a company

but i have a few questions that need answering:

1) Do i need iphone SDK?

2) If you release a game in the app store, how much profit do you earn?

3) Is there a limit too how many games you submit?

4) How do you get a .com website?

thanks guys

i am thinking of our company name at the moment

so far the chances are it could be called, Galaxia Games

thanks,
    -lukearcade22

2. 1) Yes. You can download the SDK on it's own for free, but if you want to release games/apps in the app store, you need to join the iPhone Developer Program, which you have to pay $99 annually for.
    2) That depends on what you want to charge of course, but Apple takes 30%.
    3) No, not as far as I am aware.
    4) That's something I haven't looked into. I will be using my own blog site, which was free to set up with Wordpress. I will also be using my secondary Googlemail (UK name for Gmail) email address for support.

3. Lukearcade22

Feb 8, 2009
    United Kingdom
    you need to pay $99 to release games???

oh dear lord :(

4. Yep- here's the link to the Apple developer program page.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

5. Lukearcade22

Feb 8, 2009
    United Kingdom
    so that is £60 in UK

i can find my way around that one ;)

btw, can you create the whole game, make sure it works perfectly, then pay £60 to release it?

6. Yeah- I'm in the UK too, and that is exactly what I am doing. If you look on that page I gave the link to, you will see the FREE iPhone SDK on the bottom left, waiting for you to download. It includes Xcode (where you will program your game), Interface Builder (where you design the screen layouts etc), and an iPhone Simulator, which will play your app/game on your Mac (you also need Leopard for the SDK btw). You can get all this for free before buying into the developer program.
    I am in the process of learning Objective C AND writing my first game at the same time. However, I haven't bought into the developer program yet, and will wait for my game to be more complete before I do.

7. Lukearcade22

Feb 8, 2009
    United Kingdom
    you need a Mac?

Do you really need a Mac?

And what is Leopard?

8. Oh, blimey! You haven't got a Mac?

See this thread.

Leopard is Apples latest operating system for Mac PC's.

9. Lukearcade22

Feb 8, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I need a Mac then...

This is going to be harder then i thought

I just don't have enough money to buy a Mac

is there any way to create an app without using a Mac?

10. Not as far as I know- sorry. The iPhone SDK only works on a Mac.

11. Lukearcade22

Feb 8, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I am so doomed, i am only 14

or maybe...

maybe there is a way to get Mac on the PC...just maybe

i am gonna research

12. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Not that I know of...you could just get familiar with the language (Objective-C mainly) on your PC while you wait to get a mac.

13. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    1) Do i need iphone SDK?-Yes

2) If you release a game in the app store, how much profit do you earn?-Apple gets 30% share and you get 70% of the share

3) Is there a limit too how many games you submit? No

4) How do you get a .com website?
    Godaddy.com
    Freewebs.com
    And search Google for more

14. indyraider4

indyraider4 Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    You are 14 and don't know anything about the dev program, and very little about coding. I dont want to be mean, but right now, anything you put out will probably just be the crapware which is flooding the app store. I would say lay off until you get older, and know better coding.

15. #15 Mindfield, Feb 21, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2009
    Age is irrelevant. I've seen some incredible coders around that age. Mind you they had an aptitude for it early in life, but still.

If you want to determine if you're well suited for programming, you need to take stock of yourself and consider some of the general criteria common to coders:

- Are you a logical, analytical thinker? Do you tend to try and think things through using logic and reason?

- Are you a problem solver? Are you always looking for the best solutions to given situations?

- Are you creative? Do you find that you can often come up with creative solutions to difficult problems? If you're planning on doing the one man show thing, can you create graphics? Sound? Come up with clever ideas for apps and not just me-too clones of other people's stuff?

- Are you driven by challenges? When presented with a problem, does it intrigue you? Do you feel compelled to solve it?

- Do you have patience? Can you spend hours on end working on a single aspect of your project without getting too bored of it? (Boredom working on the gruntwork aspects of an application is normal, but if you haven't the patience to see it through to the end then it's not right for you.)

- Do you take pride in your own creations? Can you spend many, many hours on something and then feel proud and satisfied and totally worth the hard work when it is done and you can finally take a step back and appreciate what you have wrought?

- Are you a perfectionist? Is "Good enough" an unacceptable goal?

- Can you learn well? Do you find that you absorb and retain new information readily? Do you have an interest in learning new things?

- Can you handle criticism? Do you see criticism as a personal attack against you or an opportunity to improve yourself and your creations?

You really have to think about these questions and whether or not any of them apply to you. You don't have to say "yes" to every single one of these to be a programmer, but the more you can agree with, the more well suited you would be for the task. Programming is not for the faint of heart or people who might like to do it on a lark. Depending on how well you learn new things, it could take only a few short months to really pick up on it, but it will take years to truly master.

16. Good post, Mindfield. Some good advice there.

17. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    im 15 and i want to try to make apps, but i really wouldn't want to release into the app store because they would most likely be crap, so i wanna try to experiment with objects c for a couple of years before i actually try anything fancy...like photo shop, I've been working at that since i was 13 and if i actually spend some time on a photo i can make it look really nice...and yes i know every 14 year old kid that has an iphone wants to make their own games... but i just want to experiment with it for a little side hobby....i dont really plan on releasing anything.....

18. Well then downloading the free SDK without signing up for the development program would be the ideal option for you then, SupG, if you are able (ie have a Mac).

19. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Yea it has to be a newer mac as well, I went through a few hoops to borrow my buddies mac, and came to find out it had just a generation (6 months mac time) earlier intel chip. I've come to the conclusion buying a new MBP is my best option right now, hey if I'm starting a company then it's deductible!

20. No Hero

No Hero Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Woah I am 100% suited to be a developer than :D