Thief: The 'Pod Project (Thiefty goodness on the iPhone)

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by dww970, May 8, 2010.

1. dww970

dww970 Member

Sep 15, 2009
    Day job: Home Depot Tool Rental Tech. Night Job: I
    louisville, Ky
    #1 dww970, May 8, 2010
    Last edited: May 8, 2010
    Thief: The Dark Project

One of my fondest memories in gaming was back in '98 when I found the Thief TDP demo on the Eidos disc in my PC Gamer magazine. The first few moments into the game, experiencing the atmosphere and game play left a permanent mark on my psyche.
    Because of my busy schedule, my gaming platform of choice here lately has been my iThing. After logging a few hours in Ravensword, I started feeling that familiar twinge I got the first time I played TDP. Playing the first dungeon quest in the game using first-person view is somehow reminiscent of Bafford's basement.

There is no reason why we can't produce a Thief-like game on the iPhone platform. From what I've seen, the Unity engine would easily give us a Thief TDP quality game on the iThings, or the native Dark Engine that runs Thief would easily run on the iPhone.

Is there anyone else on here who would like to see this old game reborn on the iphone OS?

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Me - I have to admit that the three Thief games were my favourite games back then. I finished every game with all loot on master level. I must have played every part nearly a dozen times.

Yes, I would like to see Garret on the iPhone.
    More than anything else. :)

3. dww970

dww970 Member

Sep 15, 2009
    louisville, Ky
    Thief would be my holy grail of iPhone/iPad games, the only games that would come close would be Half Life, or Morrowind.

4. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Thief would be perfect for the iPad!
    :)

5. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Thief series is like the only medieval-themed stealth game ever, and one of my favourite PC games of all time. Guess the modern market is like against all medieval things or something, medieval FPS/stealth/RPGs are practically nonexistent.
    Some Thief or Tenchu clone on the iPhone would be totally awesome, perhaps being the best game to ever come out for an iDevice. So far I don't think there are any stealth games at all. Oo

6. dww970

dww970 Member

Sep 15, 2009
    louisville, Ky
    I would pay a handsome amount to have Thief or Half Life on my iDevice

7. agent59512935

agent59512935 Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    I would love to see a port of Die By The Sword for the iPad. The touch controls should work great for controlling the swordplay!

8. GordonFreeman

GordonFreeman Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    Half-Life....Thief....sighhhhh.....for iPhone....sighhhh.....

9. Enzo-259

Enzo-259 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I need to get round to finishing Thief. My computer's crap and crashes after like 30 mins of any game though, so I got sick of having to restart and wait for it to cool down before playing again. It'd be perfect on the iPhone though!

10. Duke Floss

Duke Floss Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Writer - Producer - Engineer
    English Roundabout

what type of computer are you running that Thief is giving it trouble?

11. Aurora

Aurora Well-Known Member

Is it even possible to play Thief 3 without any lag? All the youtube videos I saw has moderate lag, including playing on my laptop. It seems Thief 3 uses a different type of graphics compared to other games like Splinter Cell, it's more "blurred". Both Thief 3 and Splinter Cell 1 came out in 2004 I believe and my laptop runs Splinter Cell 1 with absolutely no lag at any settings, and runs Thief 3 with light to moderate lag in minimum settings.

12. Enzo-259

Enzo-259 Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    It's one of the first gen macbook pro's (2006ish)

If I play anything made after like the 80's, it get's to about 100'C in 30-45 mins and shuts down. Hell, I can't play anything without getting artifacting. It's totally crap! Apparently it's some design flaw with the GPU or something but Apple aren't acknowledging it and it's out of warranty anyway. Got exams over the next couple of weeks though so maybe it's a good thing. :p

Besides, I'll be getting a new comp in a few months when I get the cash. Can't wait! :D

13. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Thief 3 never was laggy for me. It was always absolutely smooth and I played it 5 times completely. Thief 3 uses a heavily modified Unreal2 engine.
    And you can't compare the youtube videos with the actual game.
    Some youtube videos suffer from bad framerates, so the game always seems to be laggy. It's just because some frames are missing in the video.

14. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Hmmm I never heard of this game...

interesting concept :)

since you guys seem to be tenured theif fans....

if it was to be re-made would you prefer the 1st person pespective of the classic or the 3rd person perspective from theif 3? or doesn't matter?

15. IpodLady

IpodLady Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Washington State
    Rats....i thought this was some super announcement of this being ported over. :(. Would love to see this on the ipod, unfortunately it probably wont ever happen. I played them all, getting all the loot. This is what a stealth game should be and it put all others before and after it to shame.

16. Themartinclan

Themartinclan Active Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Sounds to me like a fan-related cpu overheating issue. Id open your chasse and look to see if the fans in your pc case are connected and working. Check the one on you CPU especially. Youll have to leave the case open and have it on to check.

17. I think I was too young to get very far in any thiefs... I may like to see what it was supposed to be like. I just kept dying in thief 1/2 to falling down some hole with a plank over it, into a light.

18. Drexra

Drexra Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Student
    Colorado
    I only got the chance to play Thief: Deadly Shadows....but it is still one of my favorite games to date. Would love to see a thief an ANY platform...except ps3 exclusive. I don't want to have to buy one ;)

19. cubytes

cubytes Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2009
    thiefy goodness idea bomb

-3rd person perspective
    -immersive atmosphere
    -but game takes an arcade-ish approach
    -creative art style
    -interactive enviroments
    -dynamic gameplay
    -climbing/scaling walls/'grapling hook?'

Creative Art Style:
    -plush thief
    -mini thief
    -anime thief
    -ect

Arcade Approch:
    -you get jobs and select them via a menu
    -each job is like an arcade level that plays out in an immersive open world
    -you select a job which brings up a menu
    -this menu represents casing the place
    -not really a mini game but an interactive menu
    -you will have multiple ways to complete each job
    -some will be unlocked within the interactive menu
    -you select the path/approach you want to take
    -and begin the game with everything you need
    -so it's kinda like a platformer really just played out in an open world
    -you can veer off the path & contextual guides the game at anytime
    -you have to quit the game to switch up the path
    -in essences the game guides and tells you what exactly to do
    -but there is many ways to do each job and the gamer gets to choose
    -it's either a list of preset options with a couple unlockables
    -or the gamer can manually build in the menu

wow full stop right here i definitely need to brainstorm the latter few points futher as that sounds like a pretty groundbreaking idea right there

I know open worlds are randomness and it will still be as you can just ignore the path and just roll with it, but the idea of the gamer being able to script their own gameplay before hand (within certain parameters of course) then play it out and just follow an arrow and contextual sequences (that the gamer creates to solve a problem) sounds like an interesting idea to me :)

20. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Thief is the best stealth game ever. Bring it on!