Violence and killing in games: What is too much? Please share

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by robotsvswizards.com, Nov 19, 2010.

?

Xmas and violence: What is too much?

Poll closed Dec 1, 2010.
  1. I dont like any violence in any game!

3 vote(s)
    7.3%
  2. Violence is fine but not involving christmas.

4 vote(s)
    9.8%
  3. Some blood on xmas is fine as long as it's not too realistic.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fine for santa as long as you leave Jesus out (xmas not Christmas)

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  5. Makes no diff! A game is a game with or without santa!

29 vote(s)
    70.7%
  1. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    #1 robotsvswizards.com, Nov 19, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2010
    In general everyone has their own opinion on killing in games
    but, when it comes to mixing in santa what is too much?

If possible we would like to hear some opinions before finalizing an upcoming xmas game.

The game is an old school style sidscroller with a good amount of bloody zombie death issued by old Santa.

We are about to release the game but are having second thoughts about the violence. This community has always been great for advice!
    Take a look at the video please feel free to share your opinion. We do listen!

[​IMG]

Yeah , The video isn't the greatest but it gets the point across

2. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    Personally I take no offence, no matter how bloody or violent a game is. If you want to make a bloody game involving Santa, go for it :)

3. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Agreed! And im a jew so i wont care if you have to kill jesus in it!

4. robotsvswizards.com

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    Lol
    Sorry it just has Santa and bad guys. No Jesus.
    But, he does bludgeon the final boss with the minora.

Jk

5. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Lol!
    You have to add an optional jesus fight in like the begginining or end! That would be SOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!!!!

6. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    It depends - if it's very cartoony comedy blood splatter, that's fine. But not if it's realistic people stomping on his head and shooting/stabbing him.

7. robotsvswizards.com

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    Well....

While I'm personally not offended by that sort of thing but,
    I prefer to steer away from poking at something people find of so much value. By that i mean any religion.

We just want to make a game that I hope most people can enjoy.
    Granted there is (may be) cartoony violence but, it will be rated appropriately.

Also there is no way in hell apple would approve something like that.
    They are pretty clear on religion lately.

8. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    So no killing jesus?

9. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Killing jesus is fine by me. Smashing his head open, mutilating his body, making a bag pipe out of his stomach etc.
    Same goes to every other (fictional) religious figure.

10. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    OH GOD. The final boss should be Jesus, and when you defeat him, you rip out his guts and play a christmas tune on them, bagpipe-style. Genius, sir, genius.

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Sounds like fun :D

12. robotsvswizards.com

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA

I can understand the rivalry there .... lol

13. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    Your thread has gone from a discussion on violence to a thread where immature atheists think they will sound "funny" and "smart" by making insults and violent remarks about religious figures they know nothing about, because they can't find an intelligent argument against it. Congratulations. :rolleyes:
    I'm fine with violence, but when you mix violence with religion, then it's not fine. Some people are religious, some people aren't. What right does anyone have to pit religious figures in blasphemous positions? Is it supposed to be funny if you dress up Santa as some chainsaw-wielding killer? If you find entertainment in that, then I feel extremely sorry for you.

14. Infamous97

Infamous97 Well-Known Member

You can't kill Jesus noooooooo

15. Infamous97

Infamous97 Well-Known Member

You might be sued if you do that...

16. robotsvswizards.com

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA

Well, personally I'm not really offended by much and did get a chuckle out of some of the "immature" posts....
    But even so, killing jesus in a video game isn't something that i would want to be involved in.

Just to be clear to people reading, the game is more like having Santa star in an 80s arcade game. Something like half mario style and half contra style.(just for ref)

My main concern is the blood... and does it add something to the game or should it remain more 80s style poofs of fake looking smoke when someone dies.

As far as dressing santa up as a chainsaw wielding killer ... Is that main the impression you get from the game? Just curious.

17. tsharpfilm

tsharpfilm Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    Digital Artist
    USA
    I know a lot about Jesus, and I would love to see a Passion of the Christ game, with Epic Citadel quality graphics, where you play as a Roman soldier. The goal would be to dish out as much violence as possible on a certain someone before the time runs out. It could be a little like the Banana Mode in Fruit Ninja.

18. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    I wasn't trying to look smart, nor was I purposefully mocking any religion. I thought of something that I thought funny, and I shared it. You can feel as sorry for me as you want, but in the end, I'm the one laughing. Also, I don't feel that your spiteful remarks toward the OP are warrented, as he really didn't incite the way the discussion went. That's the last I'm going to write on this, because this really isn't worth cluttering up the thread over.

Unless you make the amount of blood really over the top, I don't think there'll be a noticeable difference between the two.

19. steezybreezy

steezybreezy Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    You are a poo poo butt head idiot who eats poop with a side dish of poo poo and a glass of pee

20. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    My comment wasn't completely directed at you, it was more directed at people who find enjoyment in mocking religious figures.
    No that's not the impression I got from your game. However, you can depict any non-religious figure like George Bush or whatever in violence, because it won't be offensive to anyone but White House politicians. But by depicting religious figures in violent positions, you are assuming the position that "religion shouldn't be taken seriously, all those people are simply made up by some weirdo". Do you really have to use Santa Claus in a platformer game? Why not use any other character and achieve the same effect?
    Moreover the comment is directed at any other game in the market today where religious or cultural icons are insulted by providing them with blasphemous roles. If people wants theists to respect their atheist positions, why are they creating bullshit like this? I'm Christian, and I have better things to do than mock atheists for not believing in God, honestly I couldn't care less what one's religion is. But if I was an atheist, I certainly also have better things to do than spend my time attacking theists. What good do I get in the end? Perhaps a few laughs?