App name length

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by wastedyuthe, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Okay, I named my app by my games initials, as its name is a few words long. I haven't submitted my first game yet, although I am part of the developer program.
    What I would like to know is, do I name my app by it's full name when I submit it? Am I ok to keep my app named by its initials?
    What I am concerned about is having its full name under its icon on the home screen and having the dreaded dots "Fi...ice". I would rather have initials under the icon on the home screen, but of course having the games full name in the app store.
    Thanks.

2. dmbfan1192

dmbfan1192 Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2009
    So I don't have any useful information, but I want to tell you that I've been stalking your feed and I'm very excited for your game to come out!

3. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    STALKER!!

I have been wondering the same thing wasted. Anyone?

4. The full name that appears in the App Store (which you have to enter when you submit the app) can be different from the name displayed below the application icon (which you have to enter in the info.plist file).

5. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I personally don't really like initials below the icon, I'd rather have "Super MB" than "SMB"

6. #6 wastedyuthe, Apr 6, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
    Cheers!

Ahh. Thanks for confirming.

I'd rather not have initials either. But when your game/app title is bigger than the limit (what is the limit btw, i forgot?) then you haven't a lot of choice. I can't remember the limit, but I know for certain my games title will be too big to fit under the icon. So what else can I do- one of the words? It works well with Super MB as you said, but it won't work with my games title. So, initials it has to be, but perhaps having the full title in the icon itself will help.

7. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    words in the icon is a big NO NO, they end up looking all shriveled up, its one of the reasons "stitch'em words" changed their icon. In another thread we (TA) came to the conclusion that the best icons are those that kind of fit in with the original iphone/ipotch icons (calculator, settings...). So I'd go with something simple and original. Btw may I ask what the title of your game will be?

8. Thanks for the advice- but PLEASE stop calling it a flippin' iPotch! I will never call it that! :mad: :D

You may not! :D Don't worry. It will be revealved in the trailer due next week.

9. pablo19

Oct 26, 2008
    I never said you should/would;)

freedom of speech YES WE CAN!:D

10. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I want to say the limit is 12? I think that sounds right...

11. Mew2468

Mew2468 Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm pretty sure it's 14 characters (or might be higher).

Edit:
    That sounds right. I know for a fact it's 12 or higher.

12. I'd need 16 for mine- so it looks like it's definitely initials for me.

13. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Well, jailbroken you can change that. Which I usually do. ;) But on a related note, what is your game even about 'Yuthe?

14. Well in theory I could jailbreak my own device, but what about the millions of others out there without jailbroken devices? My app name has to fit on those too.
    I posted some new pics. More info soon, but the pics should give you some idea.