Metal topic? (partly for Booch)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Balu`, Oct 19, 2010.

1. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I like it! It really reminds me of something, but I'm not really sure what. >.< Please post a version with keys and bass but no vocals when it's done. :#
    And Booch just sort of sucks at the guitar! :C

You should come here more often!

/and check your twitter once in a... month and maybe reply >.</

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Fantastic guitar play! Starts to get kinda repetitive around the 2 minute mark though...
    I always disliked musicians for playing the same damn line 4 times in a row so in your case, for the riffing sections at 2:45, 2:58, 3:28 and 3:36, you should probably mix the two could be mixed for more variety and less uninterrupted repetition of a single riff.

Oh and the song's production sound rough, but IN A GOOD WAY! A bit muddy, with some noise/fuzz but that's ok! I especially like the tone of the rhythm guitar. The lead guitar's tone is a bit... weird I guess.
    Drumming (esp double bass) is too soft and sounds weak. It's otherwise ok, if not a tad simple for my tastes :p.

Always loved MDM and always will. A nice song with great riffing but a bit repetitive in execution. TWO THUMBS UP!!! :D
    -------------------------------
    Yes you should come here more often. I've had no one (well, there was... one) to talk MDM with :mad:.

Power & gothic metal discussions were fun but, it's always slightly awkward when I fail to remotely like Balu`s favorite bands :rolleyes:.

3. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    WHAT wankery is this!?

Combining irresistibly catchy power metal cleans, thrashy grooves (my new found favorite genre, on par/surpassing metalcore) with tasteful melodic death metal shredding and death growls. How does the band suppose I'd ever enjoy another album as much as this in the future!? :mad:

I'm about to die from enjoying this incredible album... -_-'

4. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Meh... someone say somthin!? :mad:

Anyway, @Balu`

--------------------->Damnation Angel - Bringer of Light<---------------------
    Pretty epic symphonic power metal in the veins of Theocracy (w/ symphonic instead of guitar).

5. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #5345 Booch138, Apr 13, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
    Hello my brothers and sisters. lol

Ready for something... weird but cool? Balu` might even get some jollies out of this one.

Update on my song, we have everything recorded (Drums, Guitars, Keys, Bass) and should have the vocals done in a couple weeks, but the song should be ready by tomorrow. Working hard and pushing through getting as much done as I can, all when I'm not watching my son that is. lol. Doing EQs as we speak, and might rerecord a rhythm guitar track, not sure yet, it bothers me, but I don't enough to record the entire track over. (I only have Pro Tools Essentials LOL). But yeah, should be cool. Really digging the track.

Edit: And thank you for the criticism guys! Glad you both liked it overall. Like I said, can't wait for you guys to hear the full version with everything recorded. Hopefully it'll be good to go tomorrow.

Miss u guyz

6. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Something for gunxsword:

7. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    And that, my friend, is ####ing amazing.

8. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLING!
    This calls for the
    [​IMG]
    moment.

Delicious chugging...simply delicious! THX A LOT(!) and welcome back.(?)

I totally thought my crusade to find quality ended with the inception of my quest to enjoy thrash metal.
    :D Gotta love genre mashes!

Check this out too:
    Cheesy MDM borderlining rock/pop. The chorus sounds uncomfortably familiar to me. Got any idea which song sounds similar to it?

9. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Finally listened to a few songs from this. I really enjoyed 'em, but I don't really hear any thrash in there. ^^

Sorry for not replying, by the way!
    Not bad... But it's like I've heard most of the melodies already. (you did mean Damnation Angels, though, right?)
    What the &#55357;&#56489;&#55357;&#56489;&#55357;&#56489;&#55357;&#56489;.
    I have no idea what the hell that was or even if I liked it, but it was REALLY interesting. >.<

Sounds good, can't wait to hear the final version! (and don't forget to throw in a version without vocals)

Stuff I found:
    New Meshuggah album is pretty much the standard, but groovier. gunxsword?

10. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    hahaha I thought it was too cool. Like drone black metal. hahahaaha. Something I thought I would dive back in here with. You'll be happy to know that during my absence, I have indeed picked up some random goodies for everyone. hahahaha I'll share them sparingly though. :rolleyes:

Indeed! The vocal-less one will be done today. I'm going to put up both, but the one with vocal will still be a while. The instrumental one will still be a while later today though. ;)

Also, Meshuggah is always so boring to listen to for me, but I always enjoyed the vocals and lyrics. hahahha.

The other one was really awesome though.

Glad you liked that song! I got some more decent cores for you a little later. But right now I'm busy working on the rest of my song. When I am done with that, I'll get to steppin' on the suggestions.

Anyways, that song you suggested was ####ing wonderful. No idea about the familiarity of the chorus, but the entire song sounds like Dead by April, with better instrumentals and a worse vocalist hahahahahaha.

11. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    You made quite an entrance with that, that's for sure. >.<

Sounds good! Though what's today for you might not be today for me.

The interesting thing about Meshuggah is their rythms mostly. I'm not a huge fan either, but they still blow any "djent" band out of the water.

Not metal at all, but listen to A Silver Mt. Zion - God Bless Our Dead Marines. It's sort of like a post rock/folk mix with some other influences. I have no idea what I like about it, but it's great.

12. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    I think you might have missed the hyper linked goofiness. All those links I made throughout my post are the song, it's done. =P

GO LISSIN 2 IT NAO!!!

13. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Aggression + predominately cleans + drumming pattern mainly point to ->thrash.

Yeah Angels...
    Hey stop having good memory for melodies and just enjoy what's put in front of you. >.<
    Quality of good conventional music should not be decreased by quantity no? :rolleyes:

I wouldn't capitalize REALLY because it really was repetitive.
    WOOT! More cores!
    Song sounds much better than the previous version you posted!

Perhaps I'm imagining/hearing things... ignore me -_-

14. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    True, true. Sadly, I can only listen to it tomorrow. Already in " few minutes before sleep" mode with Tenhi playing.

@gxs: You know the genre speed metal? The one that lead to the more agressive style of PM and also thrash.

Haha, true. But after a while, great music is rarely good enough. I'll give them another listen tomorrow, though.

Since when is repetetive bad?:p

15. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Wikipedia:
    "Speed metal eventually evolved into thrash metal. Although many tend to equate the two subgenres, others argue that there is a distinct difference between them."
    Win!

Dunno if you're finding music in general getting stale or just being finicky. :rolleyes:

Well, I'd just have a little somethin against repeating a single riff 4 times in a row.

16. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Well, there is a difference, I'll give sone explanation with examples tomorrow. ^^

Nah, not music in general. It's still fun, but PM and similar stuff has to be really original to impress me nowadays, maybe cause I heard so much of it.

Then stay away from drone doom metal. :>

17. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    #5357 gunxsword, Apr 15, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2012
    Illuminata - A World so Cold

Impressions:
    (rolling eyes)
    "Another absolutely obligatory intro song with no value."
    "Not bad..."

A few songs later.

O_O

WHOLY -ing @~$^% WHAT IS THIS I DON'T EVEN ...@!^*$*@#?

I think it's symphonic power (pretty sure it's not gothic...) and it's MINDBLOWING!
    Guess this is one of those instances where I listen to an album with no expectations only to be mindblown by the sheer awesomeness of it. GO LISTEN TO IT NOW!!!

*Edit: in the instance where either of you have heard it, forget about this message and don't forget to feel guilty for not recommending this album to me earlier. :p

18. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    *sigh* 500 pages worth of posts and no mention of Cormorant? Go listen to Metazoa and Dwellings people. >_>

19. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I dunno about the people before I came to this thread, but from what I know (and that's everything after I first posted in this thread), a logical explanation can be give to the lack of exposure to Cormorant:

The people who like prog metal don't like black metal and
    The person who partially likes black metal finds prog uninteresting. :rolleyes:

20. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    I... didn't know that album. I'll give it a shot, but I don't have high expectations.
    I guess I'll have to listen to some of it. I read it's prog/folk/black? What should I expect? Something Borknagar-like?