Best Diablo-style hack-n-slash

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by awp69, Jul 31, 2011.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Looking for a good Diablo-style game with more than just weapon based hack-n-slash (ie., spells, bosses, etc)....besides the Dungeon Hunter series. Any suggestions? Keep mind I only have an iPod
    Touch 2G.

2. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    I'm looking for similar games too. Any game would do though :D (iPhone 4).

@awp69
    What games do you have? Are there any games that are similar to what you're looking for (besides DH)?

Solomon's Boneyard is pretty good imo.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Dink Smallwood is on my list but I haven't tried it yet.

4. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Underworlds is really good if you never bought that. It was pretty big around TA back then during its time. Solomon's Keep is a lot better than Solomon's Boneyard by the way.

5. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Solomon's Keep is a dual stick shooter. I wouldn't call it diablo-like, or if so then only marginally.

6. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Secret of Mana doesn't have the same skill building like Diablo, but it has some good hack n slash action.

7. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I only said it because gunxsword mentioned it, lol.
    Meh, that's like saying every KRPG on the iOS would count. I'd say something like Zenonia is a lot more similar to Diablo than Secret of Mana.

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Have had both Dungeon Hunters and both of the Solomon's series. Zenoia is good but really has too many fetch this, fetch that tasks and dialog to be considered Diablo like. Really want more if a top down dungeon crawler like the good old days, but with modern graphics/effects. (not asking too much am I :) )

9. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Hm... this looks alright... (not the graphics btw...)
    Underworlds looks very solid (for a hack 'n slash). Trying lite now.

10. Splitdog79

Splitdog79 Member

May 25, 2011

I would caution that the game isn't going to set the world on fire once you hit chapter two. I got bored by the level design, though perhaps I ought give it another chance.

11. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    I had forgotten that I even had this one once until I saw the logo. No, I wasn't too impressed either. But I'm being picky.

Really don't know of anything other than the DH series that really fits the bill. Kind of just want a dungeon crawler with just lite RPG elements. I like my RPGs too, but sometimes I just wanna kick some monster butt.

12. backtothis

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Well, there really is nothing else. Go beat DH/DH 2 again with a different character.

13. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    That's pretty sad. Not that those are bad games, but some other developer should try to help fill the void instead of creating the millionth physics puzzler or platformer. Yes, I like those too, but that's just about all I see these days except for Gameloft's bloated games.

As far as RPGs, there's either fairly deep, back to roots kind like Zenoia. Or side-scrolling games like Third Blade that don't really fit the bill as a dungeon crawler.

Guess I was really blown away by Bastion on the 360. Only played the demo so far, but probably will buy it. It's a really nice update on the typical hack-n-slash. Wishing for something new to take on the go. Not necessarily as ground-breaking as Bastion, but a fun diversion from the deeper RPGs.

14. gunxsword

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Yeah... iOS is lacking pure dungeon crawlers...

Oh well, back to Phantasy Star on my PSP :D

15. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    That's true. But Secret of Mana beats most KRPGs with its music, story, and writing.

OP, if you like roguelikes, you could try Legends of Yore and Sword of Fargoal. They are not really like Diablo, though.