Diablo-esque game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by B.utthead, May 18, 2012.

1. B.utthead

B.utthead New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    Just saw te Infinity blade dungeons gameplay...and with Diablo 3, was trying to remember any good game that follows the exloration of dungeons similar to Diablo.
    Any option better than a Dungeon Hunter from Gameloft?

2. gantrithor33

gantrithor33 Active Member

May 12, 2012
    College Student
    LA
  3. Drexiel

Drexiel Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Commercial Diver
    Ponce, PR
  4. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    Underworlds by Pixel Mine is quite Diablo-like.

5. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    the best one on gameplay terms and closest to the diablo 2 feeling
    graphically i'd prefer dungeon hunter 2
    but gameplay > graphic

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Definitely this. Underworlds was awesome, but both chapters only last about 2 hours together. The 3rd chapter never quite made it. Was great when it first came out over two years ago. It's a bit outdated now though. Not too many good dungeon crawlers on the iOS. Can't even name half a dozen really. If my MacBook Pro can run D3, Torchlight, etc, you can run those games on your PC for sure. Stick with those. There are enough good ones one the PS3/360 as well.

7. B.utthead

B.utthead New Member

Dec 17, 2011
    thank you my man...but i agree with Driexel...DH3 ruined the whole franchise

8. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    This guy's on drugs. Devil Dark, maybe close as far as the hack n' slash variety goes. But it's not the top-down Diablo style if that's what you're looking for.

DH3 is ridiculous, but the first two DHs are comparable to Diablo.

And Castle Master 3D? I hadn't heard of it until I read it here. Downloaded it and it's NOTHING like Diablo. It's more of a castle/empire building sim with some battles in between that I frankly didn't find enjoyable enough to work through the sim parts of the game. (Others may like that kind of thing, though)

Thanks for bringing back up Underworlds. I had downloaded it long ago and don't think I ever played through it all. After giving it another whirl today, think I'm going to now. I need a Diablo-style iOS fix.

I haven't played the iOS port, but I'd definately put The Bard's Tale on a list of Diablo type games. I got it on sale, but need to play through some things to make room for its massive size.

Funny thing, I played The Bard's Tale back on my old Xbox and noticed when you start Underworlds one of the first missions -- like BT if I remember -- is going down into a cellar and killing rats. Just thought that was a too odd of a coincidence...maybe playing a bit of homage to it?

9. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Wanted to add that Infinity Blade: Dungeons looks incredible and definately could fill a void in having a great Diablo-style hack n' slash on the iOS.

10. Ravenblack

Ravenblack Well-Known Member

Feb 24, 2009
    Singapore
    A lot of computer rpgs start out like that. Go to the cellar, kill some rats. Even Elder Scrolls Oblivion had a variation on it in one of its side quest.

It's become an old joke of sorts because it's so common to see that as a first quest.

11. multiplang

multiplang Member

May 10, 2012
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    I'm always on the look out for Diablo-ish gameplay on iOS as well. Seems a hard thing to do justice to on any platform, which I think is evident from the D3 hype - a product of ten years of waiting for the next true Diablo fix.

I did enjoy Dungeon Hunter on PS3 though, so maybe I'll give it a look on iPad.

12. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Funny thing is, with the advancement of gaming even on the iOS, I don't think it would be that difficult to create a good hack n' slash in the vein of Diablo. Yes, Diablo III and it's graphical prowless, etc., maybe not. But the first Diablo game, Bauldur's Gate, etc., aren't games that are necessarily technical marvels.

I think more games could be done in the genre and don't know why there aren't more.

13. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Pocket RPG is the best Diablo clone I've found on iOS. It's pretty abbreviated in its scope, but it's still very satisfying from start to finish.

14. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    If you don't mind KRPG, Aurum Blade is the closest Diablo feel to me. Not sure why it does compared to all the other KRPG out there.

15. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    #15 awp69, May 23, 2012
    Last edited: May 23, 2012
    Definately a good pick that I overlooked. A bit different with the twin stick controls, but certainly a good, fun dungeon crawler.

Also noteworthy. Yeah, it's bit more KRPG in appearance only, but is more of a dungeon crawler like Diablo in gameplay. More emphasis on loot over story. Multi-level dungeon as opposed to story-based venturing.

16. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

Wow...surprised no one mentioned The Relic. Not too bad of a dungeon crawler. Not the best, but the screen FILLS with enemies in every room. Gotta love that.

17. Vinny554

Vinny554 Well-Known Member

I just checked the App Store and this actually looks ok for a KRPG. What I want to know is if this is similar to Diablo in gameplay. By that I mean, is half the game talking to people in towns? I hate that so much. Haha I hate most RPGS, but Diablo is 95% action.

18. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Very true!

Actually in Bard's Tale it was intentionally making fun of all those RPG's that start out the same way IIRC... But you nailed it, there are a LOT of old WCRPG's (western computer roleplaying games) that start with that very premise of "weak" enemies to start off with. In fact in any western rpg from mid 2000's and back there is at least one mission of going into the cellar and killing the rats! Trust me, as a big time CRPG gamer I have seen it often enough to admit it is a joke and a staple of the genre!

19. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    It's mostly mindless button mashing when I played. There's only one town with a few npc.. I'm not sure why this game feels like Diablo to me..but I love the loot drops in this game.

20. CazicThule

CazicThule New Member

May 22, 2012
    Might be best off waiting for Torchlight: Mobile Edition?