Heroes & Castles (Foursaken Media) - ARPG/Strategy/Defense - Coming Jan 17!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Foursaken_Media, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jared9876

jared9876 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    GREAT!!! I can't wait to see it! You are by FAR my favorite developers! This is looking to be a must have! I don't know if this has been said but what will the price be?

2. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    oh and by the way this will work on 4th gen ipods right???? I hope it is not like Horn or Avengers...

3. Foursaken_Media

Foursaken_Media Well-Known Member
    Patreon Indie

Thanks :) We'll keep rolling out games as long as we are able! As for price, not sure yet. Most likely either $.99 or $1.99

As for iPod Touch 4 compatibility, we're certainly going to do everything we can to get it running well on "lower gen" devices... We spent a lot of time and effort making NYZ2 run on them, so I think we can do the same with Heroes & Castles!

Can't wait for you guys to see the game in action :)

4. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Believe me, we can't wait either!

5. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Sounds great!! Keep the 4th gens running!!!!

6. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

Trailer is uploading... will post tonight or tomorrow :)

7. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Heck yes!!!! Looking forward to seeing it!!! :D

8. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Nice trailer. Also will the game have iCloud support?

Would be sweet in future updates, where you could add multiplayer and we fight against someone else's units and there character and capture there castle. Maybe make allies or a clan and have up to 3 people in a team defend a castle against another team :).

Also maybe a co-op mode against harder enimies.

Last hopefully we can deck out our castle, upgrade as we please.

This could be in future updates.

9. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    Holy freaking chicken balls. This looks fantastic!! Instabuy from me!

10. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

#91 Foursaken_Media, Nov 16, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
    Thanks for the post!

Yes to iCloud. And indeed, having a battle mode of sorts could be cool, but beyond the scope of initial release... As for co-op, its already in with exactly that... defending against harder and harder enemies! We have 20+ enemy types, so there is a ton of variety.

Finally, when it comes to building up your castle, its more like an RTS in that sense... you'll earn gold income for each gold mine you build, which increases the rate that you earn money. You'll then have to balance your economy with building more gold mines for a higher income, building upgrade buildings to increase the effectiveness of your units, summoning units to fight, and decking out your castle with better walls and towers.

Haha, eeexcellent :)

11. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    Sounds epic, can't wait to slam that buy button :)

12. VaroFN

VaroFN Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Wow, the trailer looks amazing. Now we need Bug Heroes 2 :D

13. jared9876

Aug 23, 2011
    Dallas TX
    Oh MAN!!!! CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!

14. ninjackid

May 27, 2010
    THIS! So much this! :D

15. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    I'm so glad to see that FM is cranking out games this fast. I love every single one and this should be no exception. Thank you Jamie and team for making my commutes to work enjoyable!

16. Ghostz

Ghostz Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2012
    Through the rain.
    I, I've been wanting a game like this for so long. I need to hug you.

17. Kbcorwin

Kbcorwin Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    God's buddy
    Seattle, Washington
    The crow and bird soundtrack will not be recycled and put in the game from NYZ will it? Please don't :) probably just for easy video purposes anyways. Even in the video I am reminded of the terror that game induced in me, as well as my frustration at how bad I was at it, even on normal. :(

18. 2mad4fun

2mad4fun Member

Jul 2, 2012
    Would it be possible to build our own design castle or just to upgrade existing structure?
    Any similarities to stronghold?
    Cheers

19. Foursaken_Media

Patreon Indie

We're pretty lucky that we have such a versatile team... that combined with having our own custom engine allows us to really be flexible and fast with our initial game design and concept phase, leaving most of the dev time for polish, balance, and QA!

Haha, don't worry - there are still a few last tidbits of polish left (ambient sounds, other sfx, voice work, graphical tweaks, etc).

You cannot build your own castle design... your buildings and defenses are all built from an RTS-type perspective, where you are building stuff based on your current situation, rather than for aesthetic reasons. For example you can build a Forge to increase your artillery effectiveness, a Dwarf Hut to improve dwarfs and allow them to throw bombs, a Battle Academy to arm your peons with swords and shields, etc, etc... but you're not actually designing your castle in a "free build" sense.

One of the things we learned with Bug Heroes is that we have to be very careful not to overdue certain elements of a game like this that attempts to mix so many genres. For example too much castle building and it detracts heavily from the combat and battle strategy aspect. Too much unit control and it takes away from the action part (with your hero). Too much hero focus and all of the sudden the strategy elements are dumbed down.

In the end, Heroes & Castles (I feel at least) is a game that is totally unique and stands on its own, and will have to be played to really get a feel for what its like!