Battle Riders - upcoming iOS combat racing game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Valentin C, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

2. Valentin C

Valentin C Well-Known Member

Battle Riders - Previews

Find out more about the previews Battle Riders has so far by visiting:

https://www.facebook.com/BattleRidersGame

3. oscar123967

oscar123967 Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2012
    #23 oscar123967, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    Not much to discuss about lol. We already have all the information. Usually these Upcoming iPhone and iPad Games only blow up if theres a big name game by a big game company.

It definitely looks fun though. It reminds me of death rally.

I am a bit worried that it'll get reptitive after a few plays. The tracks have variety? They look kind of the same.

I'm also a bit worried about the controls. It looks as if the buttons can be replaced with taps and swipes.

4. POLYGAMe

POLYGAMe Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Game Developer (iOS, Mega Drive, C64)
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Damn it, this game looks like it's going to take time away from my own game dev. lol. Looks awesome! Will be grabbing this for sure ;)

5. Valentin C

Battle Riders - Details

I want to thank everyone for their kind comments.

As I worked on this title by myself, I tried to put a lot of thought and hard work into every aspect of the project. I tried to make it as interesting, accessible, addictive and most importantly as fun as I could. I also tried to capture part of the feeling of old-school gaming titles of the genre.

Now, after two years in the making Battle Riders is going to be available on the App Store this week on September 4th.

If I had to name one major shortcoming of the game that would be the lack of multiplayer.

PS: oscar123967 please check your PM and post any thoughts you have on the game, good and bad.

6. redribbon

redribbon Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2010
    entepreanur,programmer
    this game looks great. @planetshooter, thanks for the great gameplay man. wish i can get it now, i can make a gameplay and promote it on my channel page. wish you the best for this game dev.

7. Planetshooter

Planetshooter Well-Known Member

You're welcome. I've loved my time with this game and I'm really looking forward to seeing it get its release in .... two days time!

If anyone is concerned about it being repetitive - sure, yes, you are racing at high speeds and shooting other cars an awful lot. My personal view - if it's fun, repetition is not an issue. And this is definitely fun.

8. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    I will tonight

Keep in mind that I am pretty "constructive" towards the developer when it comes to testing out a game. But I do tend to also balance out the criticism with positives. I will leave my full impressions and not sugar coat any of it. Would you like me to PM my impressions or post them here?

Note: I have not played the game yet, but I will once I am off work. I have no idea how the game plays as of now.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    #29 psj3809, Sep 2, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    Well really liking this. Had a few races which I enjoyed. Only minor point is that the joystick/arrows seem a bit too high. Thought they should be lower but it's not a major thing. Also I wish the brake button was lower down. Accidentally pressed that a few times,

Did a few single races. About to do the career mode. No IAPS at all. A very good mad max style racer. Looking forward to seeing other tracks. So far so good !

10. Valentin C

Battle Riders

Well, nobody likes to see their work criticized, but I believe it is the only way to get better. I would like you to post any feedback here, but I will leave the final choice with you. Either way, I can only thank you!

11. Pocketnova

Pocketnova Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2012
    I'm liking what I see here quite a bit. It looks very nice for an indie racing game, and the racing is hectic (in a good way). I'm not a huge fan of tilt controls, but out of the three controls, I think they work the best. I agree with psj about moving the arrows a bit down. The joystick looked good, but my finger moves to far out and it defaults back to the middle. If you could prevent that from happening, that would make it the best out of the three, IMO. I'm enjoying it very much so far! (not doing great, but I should get better with time) Many thanks for the promo code! I'm very excited to play more later today! (Apologies for any typos, I'm awful at proof reading)

12. oscar123967

Aug 1, 2012
    #32 oscar123967, Sep 3, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
    Ok, here are my first impressions.

Controls
    You've got the control scheme down, but the way you attacked them isnt the best. (I've provided screen shots of what they should be like)

Issues with tilt controls:
    -the hit boxes are too small.
    -the break is positioned in away from the corner of the screen, making it hard to locate when focused on the gameplay.
    [​IMG]

Issues with joystick controls:
    -finger can easily swipe off the joystick's hit box, the result is going from a hard turn to straight without the intent.
    -the right side buttons are located top to bottom, making it difficult to determine which button fires which weapon.
    [​IMG]

Issues with arrow controls:
    -the buttons are floating in the middle of the screen (away from the corner), making them hard to locate.
    -the hit boxes are too small.
    -the right side buttons are located top to bottom, making it difficult to determine which button fires which weapon. I don't think it matters where the break is positioned
    [​IMG]

Smart & responsive controls. But lacks organization and the hit boxes are too small.

Gameplay
    AI:
    -good AI
    -they bump into you and fire
    -it is clear that they're competing for 1st place

Physics:
    -great physics
    -fits the arcade style we all know and love
    -no merging when crashing into other cars
    -opponents (and yourself) can hit your (opponents) tail but the car won't completely spin out of control. It just makes you skid & slows you down. This allows you to get back in the race immediately.
    -Theres drafting and it works well. If someone is ahead of you, you can tail behind them and gain speed. You can then quickly drive off to the side while maintaining your speed, allowing you to pass them up. It doesn't take too long and it doesn't happen instantly. Plus it is a bit difficult to do at times because the AI is constantly on the move

Tracks:
    -this is the area where the game lacks
    -all track feel repetitive and dull
    -so far I've only raced on two gray tracks and two brown tracks. They feel like the same tracks but reskinned
    -it feels like NFS MW (ios) but with less variety

Gun Fights:
    -excellent
    -all weapons seem fun to use
    -getting a kill is very satisfying
    -everything is top notch, it feels like death rally but more interactive

-multiplayer does seem like the perfect fit. Throw in a rating system and you're set. But ofc it is much much easier said than done.

Its overall a fun and exciting racing experience. Even though the maps are not amazing, the gameplay and competition definitely makes up for it.

Variety:
    -like I stated before maps lack in variety
    -plenty of vehicles, weapons, paint jobs, and upgrades.
    -3 control schemes
    -plenty of game modes

UI & Menus
    -easy to navigate menus. Nice and simple
    -the UI is nice and clear, shows your MPH, position, lap, and time
    -the map has a flaw: it doesn't reset when you've completed a lap.
    -The menus do not emphasize the game-modes enough. I often hop into a race without even knowing which game mode I am racing. A specific loading screen for each game mode would be nice, with a brief explanation on how to play it.
    -the game does not emphasizes progression enough. It is a fun game, but I havn't gotten the hooked feeling where I want to continue playing and where I cant wait to unlock the new car.

The Verdict
    For an indie game, this is amazing. It really shows how much work and effort you put into this. The combat is very fun and the races are very fun. The tracks and controls fall a bit short though.

You need to emphasize the progression system more. Add a trailer in the beginning of the game where it shows off the intense big guns races. Make the tutorial intense and exhilarating. Something that can promote how awesome this game is

Overall its a great pick up and play game. I don't see why any arcade racing fan shouldn't pick it up.

13. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    Here is my first impression:

The game is almost good. But I don't like the control too much. I don't like TILT style, so I can't talk about it. But with ARROW and JOYSTICK control, they are taken so far on the iPad screen, so sometimes I can't have a good control when I want to turn right. And with the ARROW control, the buttons are so small to me... I think so... :(

14. Valentin C

Battle Riders - Feedback

I want to thank everyone, but especially oscar123967 for the detailed and well thought feedback. It's greatly appreciated!

I am carefully considering every point and will be making some changes in the first update the game will get (pretty soon actually as it seems I will have to support a new device resolution :) ).

With regard to the Controls, as this seems to be one of the main issues: you are all right, the arrows and joystick controls will receive a makeover, especially for the ipad. As for 80% of the development time I only had an iphone 4 as a device, the controls seem to suffer on other devices.

I also considered tilt control as the main option as it allows better and smoother control of the car and aiming. I am well aware that a lot of other games have not implemented tilt as good as they could and this has made a lot of players reject the idea, and also that there are situations where you simply can't use tilt. This is why I will improve the other control schemes as much as I can; with your help, of course.

Andre, I would advise you to at least give tilt control a try and see how it works. I assure you it is a lot smoother than you think. Also, if playing on an ipad, changing the tilt sensitivity in the options will allow for easier control without having to wave your arms around that much. :)

Also, for the tilt controls, I will lower the brake button.

Tracks: Indeed this is where I would've improved the game if I could. Hopefully, for Battle Riders 2 I will be able to get some help on development of assets and this will especially show for the environment. I already have tons of ideas, let's just hope I will get the chance to put them in practice.

Multiplayer: I am contemplating adding local head-to-head in a future update, as this is all that I can do, but it might not be the best option. For the next iteration of the game a full blown on-line multiplayer mode is a must.

Game Modes loading screens: There is actually a specific icon for each game mode that is shown in the background on the loading screens, behind the tips (the same icon as on the single race buttons). But it might not be prominent enough. Also the description of each game mode appears every time that mode is loaded for the first time, and then reappears every 4 loading tips.

The bar shown bellow the life shows overall race progress, so you can clearly see where you stand compared to all other racers and how much of the event you have completed. I also tried making it act like a radar (show the other cars as compared to your position) but it seemed better this way.

Again, I really appreciate all the feedback, and please keep posting any other thoughts.

Many thanks!