Best Adventure Game? Should I make one?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Sauce Digital, Jun 3, 2010.

1. Sauce Digital

Sauce Digital Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Hi everyone,

As you may have seen in the discusion about the best RPGs, i'm deciding what game to start next. Another option is an Adventure Game.

Sensible Soccer aside, Monkey Island is my favourite all time game (but that probably just my age :) ) so I am considering making one. So my questions are:

*is there enough interest, as they are not so popular these days.
    *what are you favourites on the App Store.
    *what would you like to see in it.

ADMINS: This is a very similar question to the one I posted about RPGs, but the games genres are v different, so i though it warranted a different Thread. If you feel the need to merge the threads, could you rename the other one to "Best RPG/Adventure game? Should I make one?", and PM me. Thanks!

2. articulate

articulate Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    #2 articulate, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
    After today/yesterday. Hector.

Before then, Broken Sword.

edit: Mixed up Beneath a Steel Sky with Broken Sword ._.

3. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Will PM you my idea in a few mins... too good to be made public :p

4. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    There can never be enough Adventure games in my opinion buddy. Go for it.

5. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I would love an adventure game. I've really been after one for a while. Something with a similar concept to Tomb Raider would be cool, in 3D would be amazing. Or, come up with an original idea too; that encourages people to take a look as its something new. 2D graphics would be cool too, if done right - but controls are the most important. I was put off of buying a very promising looking adventure game called Flashback as it had what looked like bad controls.

What about Jak and Daxter type story? I dunno if that's classified as adventure or not?, I don't know... but it sure was fun.

6. I had a nice long post but my ipod glitched up -.-

Beat Monkey Island's riveting story with twists, strange item combinationd, perfect characters and...

Oh wait. It's a classic.

But MI is my fave point and click (not the remake with bad controls on ipod but xbox version was fine!)

7. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    So does it have to be a point and click adventure? Or any type of adventure game?

8. OctopodSquad

OctopodSquad Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2010
    All adventure games need good humor. So it won't get boring :p
    Is this game going to be like puzzles and inventory and walking around collecting type stuffs? Or like 1112?

9. Sauce Digital

Sauce Digital Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Probably walk around, collect things, talk to people, use objects, maybe mini puzzle games. Ive not played it, is that not what 1112 does?

10. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

wait, do you mean point n click by adventure game? if so go ahead, but i'll just wait for your rpg.

11. Isilel

Isilel Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2009
    Well, there are some classics on the Appstore and more are coming, supposedly.

My favorites:

The Broken Sword
    The Secret of Monkey Island (and the Curse is coming, wo-hoo!)
    Beneath a Steel Sky

I also liked though to lesser degree:

Flight of the Amazon Queen
    Return to Mysterious Island

Disliked:

1112 episode 1.

I certainly wish for more P&C adventures, but IMHO making them well is pretty difficult, since both writing and puzzle design must be very good and visual appeal can't be neglected either. And great classics are right there for comparison, too and more to come.

12. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA