Over the air download limit increased to 50MB

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by 30BelowStudios, Mar 7, 2012.

1. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    more than overdue.. still don't understand why there is a limit.. they could implement a warning instead and let user user their connection as they wish..

2. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    New Ipads

Looks like they increased the limit to account for the extra res on the new iPads. Doubling the res, and including extra graphics for the new device will bump up even the smallest apps to close to the 20MB limit.

Agree it is stupid, fine to give people a warning but still let them do it, most people have pretty decent data plans now on their mobile devices, some even use 3G and 4G as their only internet connection.

3. david_loqheart

david_loqheart Active Member

Feb 3, 2012
    Founder of Loqheart: Game Development
    San Francisco, CA
    Yay!

I'm so happy they increased this limit :)

Though, I will say that the limit DID force us developers to optimize our game and make them less bulky. Wonder how many "giant" games will come out now.

4. sh13ld

sh13ld Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2011
    Male
    Co-founder & CEO
    Finland
    That's good news. I agree with previous writers: no limit with a warning message would be ideal but this is way better than the previous 20MB limit.

At least iOS doesn't have a 50MB limit for the entire program like Android does. Although Google has upped this to 4GB (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2401179,00.asp) but the first downloadable APK file is still limited to 50MB.

5. mr_wexer

mr_wexer Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2011
  6. Shaz

Shaz Well-Known Member

Yeah, this will make life much easier. But I think the reason for a limit has more to do with the capacity of the cell networks than with Apple. So the new 4G networks will introduce extra capacity.

7. lolzappan

lolzappan Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Nah :rolleyes: it is Apple's way of selling everyone a 128-256GB iPhone, iTouch or iSomething in the future ;) watch for it!

8. Hercule

Hercule Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    Apple are the first phone constructor having a share in your monthly mobile phone bill.
    Apple phone User already eat twice more 3G bandwith than the average customer.

I'm sure that if they increase the 3G limit, phone operator won't be happy.

9. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    over here you can buy an iphone without going into any phone/data contracts..

10. Samuramu

Samuramu Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2011
    Game designer and coder
    I think I already see some increase in sales. Optimizing my game (~22MB) was on my wish-list but didn't get to it before Apple's move.

I Didn't know it would make such a difference.

11. Hercule

Dec 16, 2010
    In France you can also buy an iphone without a contract.

But if you get a monthly contract, you need to get a special data "iphone" contract that is more expensif than the regular contract.

12. Platyrrhine

Platyrrhine Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2012
    You can do that anywhere. The difference is that it costs the same as an iPad (or more) instead of $200

13. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well and you dont think the cost of the device is part of the rather expensive contracts? no one is giving away an iphone for free, you have to pay no matter.

but we are getting off topic

14. Hercule

Dec 16, 2010
    #15 Hercule, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012
    No, contract, iphone not include.
    If you still try to get a "normal" 3g contract for your IPhone, the operator detect your iphone and reduce the speed of your 3G (not all operator do that but most).

Operator have signed this kind of contract with Apple to have the exclusivity of the iphone distribution during few months after the launch + Iphone user eat more data bandwidth. They probably pay a monthly fee to apple for each iphone user.
    That's the first phone constructor doing that.

That's not off the topic, because that's probably one of the reason why apple have set this limit.

If you let people download 1Go of Rage HD with their Iphone, operators won't be as pleased with this kind of deal...

15. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    whats the difference than to waste that kind of traffic to youtube? or anything else?

16. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK
    I suspect the cellular download limit is more of a user experience issue than a network provider issue. Remember Apple are entirely about creating a positive user experience.

Downloading ~1GB over 2G would take such a long time you'd think it's not working (falling back to 2G is all too common here in UK at least), and waiting forever for apps to download is not a good user experience.

So shirley the limit is something Apple (quite rightly) decided upon. The fact the 50MB limit helps the user not exceed a typical monthly data allowance is just another plus point in the user's favour (as well as the networks - of course Apple wants to keep everyone happy).

17. mr.Ugly

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    well this hole download limitation could be a warning message that makes the user aware instead of just stopping him.

of course net coverage may depend but that for a warning would be best, if someone lives in an area without 3g coverage he knows how slow it can be and that big downloads can take some time..

a good user experience would let me buy the game now and then, no matter what.. they could also pause the download till i am connected to a wifi at a later point or autoload it onto my itunes desktop app if its connected to the net.

the hole point of all the icloud stuff is about instant sync between dozens devices, i assume thats also only happening in a wifi enviroment since that would be also very taxing on bandwith.. the same with itunes match and your online library you can dl anytime (wifi needed?)

i mean apple just introduced the first 4g lte device and you get now an 50mb cap..

at least i would like to buy everything i want on the go no matter how bad my connection, because often you just stumble over something and since you cant put stuff into a cart for later checkout you have to remember it, write a note or more realistically forget the thing by the time youre back home in your wifi

*shrug* i dont see a reason or a benefit for a hard limit
    thats completly silly..

18. blitter

blitter Well-Known Member

Lol classic there DemonJim http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/Mile_High_Club

mr.Ugly, the only way I guarantee to remember things like a tweet link or a buy later is to save an email draft containing the reminder! Else there's too much noise to remember, yes.

19. DemonJim

DemonJim Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2010
    App Developer
    UK