Shadow Edge - $0 (dual stick shooter from makers of Iesabel)

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by undeadcow, Jul 23, 2013.

1. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #1 undeadcow, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    There are two versions one for iPhone/iPod and a separate iPad edition

iPhone/iPod:

Shadow Edge - Hatshepsut's Tomb

*** We celebrate the launch of our new magnificent big RPG game - "Iesabel" ***

In the middle on the…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details

In the middle on the year 1940, german forces were occupying a big part of europe. It's only a matter of time that US army will get engaged in this conflict and send their troops to the old continent. You are a member of the Us special forces and have been commanded to go to Egipt. Our sources say that the pyramid of Hatshepsut may hide a powerful artifact that is vital to our army's success. Your mission is to explore the tomb, and retrieve it. I think you should know that our sources detected some paranormal readings. It looks like the dead came back to life to defent the precious treasure.

Can we count on you soldier? The fate of this war is in your hands.
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Jan 03, 2012
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

iPad:

Shadow Edge HD - Hatshepsut's Tomb

In the middle on the…
    Free
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details

In the middle on the year 1940, german forces were occupying a big part of europe. It's only a matter of time that US army will get engaged in this conflict and send their troops to the old continent. You are a member of the Us special forces and have been commanded to go to Egipt. Our sources say that the pyramid of Hatshepsut may hide a powerful artifact that is vital to our army's success. Your mission is to explore the tomb, and retrieve it. I think you should know that our sources detected some paranormal readings. It looks like the dead came back to life to defent the precious treasure.

Can we count on you soldier? The fate of this war is in your hands.
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Jan 04, 2012
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating:Unrated
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

2. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Interestingly, this has been out over a year and a half and not a single review on the App Store. Enjoying Iesabel, so might have to check it out.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #3 undeadcow, Jul 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2013
    I'm surprised Shadow Edge has been so overlooked, I downloaded it previously but haven't played it a bunch just because it got backlogged but with the egyptian and WW2 themes it looks cool. Shadow Edge - Hatshepsut's Tomb is likely a re-release (or sequel?) of a previous edition (just Shadow Edge) that had some discussion here in 2010: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=53152 and a 3.5 star Touch Arcade review: http://toucharcade.com/2010/04/27/shadow-edge-review-another-cool-dual-stick-shooter/

4. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    I can't even beat the 4 bugs at the start...

5. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Already own it and pretty much every other game published by Forever Entertainment. The actual game is by Pastel Games and this was originally published in 2010. This isn't the same dev as Iesabel (unless they changed their name?), as that is Madman Theory Games, but it is the same publisher and everything I've played that FE has published has been good. Heck Frederic is one of my favorite music games on any platform. Just below Gitaroo Man on PS2/PSP and Cytus (iOS, Android).

I would classify this one as a solid B grade dual stick shooter. It is above average with the story but gameplay is solid but average for the genre. Add to that... no IAP, a rocking soundtrack meant for headphones, and it says it runs on pretty much any hardware with iOS 3.2 or later makes it's pretty easy to recommend.

The only negatives I can think of are that this is a legacy OpenFeint game (no GameCenter) and if you move outside the range of the left stick then sometimes it requires a lift and reset before it registers. Also, if using a weapon without infinite ammo, then you have to cycle through the weapons (which is easy) when the ammo is out. It's not a huge negative, but one that you'll run into early once you collect the more powerful weapons. Beyond that, this is an older game so it's not retina graphics... but again, it runs on pretty much everything so that to me is forgivable.

Definitely grab it if you like the genre at all. I played it a little today to remind myself how good it was and I quickly drilled into the game past the spiders and off into the tomb. I made it to wave 4 of the second level before some fire throwing dudes got me. So it's hard but that should be a plus for anyone that likes gaming.

As for me, Iesabel was one of the two FE published games that I didn't own. The other is the free version of Frederic, which I have no need for since I have the Complete version... but I think I'll go ahead and grab Iesabel since I've gotten so many great games from this publisher for free. I just need to check space available because lately I've been deleting games off I don't play and adding in many bigger more premium titles to my iPhone.

6. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Can't really add anything that Night didn't already cover. Nice review Night. I did want to add that Above & Below and Minidragon by the same publisher are also free in this promotion as well. Both are worth a look. I'm in middle of a busy morning but if someone wants to start threads for them the glory is yours. Thanks.

7. Habakuk

Habakuk Well-Known Member

Four pieces of bars looping forever.

Yes. That kills the game for me. Otherwise it would be average. Maybe slightly better than average.

8. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    The difficulty doesn't bother me. First game I don't think I made it past the scarabs or whatever the first creature is. I also didn't realize after/during round 3 that the door opened and I didn't need to keep fighting unless I was aiming for highscore (which since there's no GC and only OF, high score is meaningless). Many games later I'm in the second level and I've figured out some cool environmental things that allow a quick recharge of health. I'm also better at saving certain weapons for certain enemies and can pretty quickly dominate level 2. Level 3, I'm making it several waves deep before getting slaughtered but just like the original NES Contra, Castlevania, and other hard games of the day... I'm taking each re-start as a way to perfect my techniques. I don't see the lack of saving progress as an issue.

On a side note, there is a "continue" option listed under the "Play" menu. It doesn't seem to work for me. Rather choosing to "continue" just crashes the game. Anyway, none of that is a putoff for me. Like I said above, I consider this a B grade game in the genre. It's fun without any IAP junk to get in the way.

9. Primoz

Primoz Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2012
    So my current technique is running in circles and getting the enemies into a "horde". But this is pretty boring... The left joystick isn't responding well either, I must tap it twice before it "unstucks", this gets me always killed.

If I try to play arena mode, it crashes. The same goes if I try to continue the game, as nightc1 described. So you can't even pause the game...

10. nightc1

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    Tried to play some more and yeah, the issues do get a bit worse. I think it's a solid game but overall I should lower this to a C or D grade , probably D just for the technical issues. But it's free and i got it free a long while back so no big deal to me.

11. Dirty Harry Hannahan

Dirty Harry Hannahan Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Planet Earth