Indie VS Big Game CO.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by mrmort, Apr 29, 2012.

1. mrmort

mrmort Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    This is my first game and it seems like you dont have a chance unless your
    a well know game company or you get featured!!!

If anyone has any Great advise they can give to us little guys it would be a great help!!!!!!!

My LLC TaptoonGames is releasing Acme Planetary Defense HD!!!!
    Check out some of the graphics for this new planet defense shooter!

Please let me know what you think!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Hobstob

Hobstob Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Got the change to Test this game out!

Warning! addictive! I was asked to test this game out, by the time i had to give it back i didnt want to haha. Alot of fun! Looking forward to picking this one up! :D

3. DodgerBlue016

DodgerBlue016 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2011
    I create awesome paper airplanes that I will sell
    Here
    Well, from what I've seen on the app store, it's all about exposure. If you're a big game company, you already have the exposure based on name recognition and money (ads, etc.). As an indie, you have to find a way to gain exposure. Getting N&N is pretty much vital to get anywhere big, since its a feature from apple. Make sure to send review codes to review sites so you can possibly get featured by them (i.e. TouchArcade, 148 Apps, iFanzine, PocketGamer, Slidetoplay, Touchgen, etc). All of those help. Also if you have other apps you can cross-promote your new app in them. Stuff like that helps. If you have a good app and then reach some exposure, it'll often stick or at least get you a lot of money from the first couple weeks.

4. mrmort

mrmort Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Thanks

Marketing seems like it will be key to a successful game. I hope others are as open to sharing there tips as you are.

5. gamesbybob

gamesbybob Member

Apr 2, 2011
    AVP/Senior Software Engineer
    Tampa, FL
    I think the best way to compete is to get the most exposure in the first few weeks prior to your game's release. The more news out there on the day your app is released is the better. And getting attention by the big guys (Touch Arcade, 148 Apps, etc.) will definitely maximize your short term exposure.

Also, get your friends and family involved as well. If your app is $0.99, it should be pretty easy to convince people to purchase your game.

A long term marketing plan too is important too. I know you definitely want to think about how, when, and why you might want to put your app on sale. There are a lot of apps that will alert people which apps have gone on sale. This helps with exposure after your initial release, especially if you aren't in the top charts, etc.

Obviously the most important thing though is to have a great game that people actually want to play. Tiny Wings is proof of that.

Good luck! I'll definitely be downloading the game! It looks fun. Love the alien!